Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless router issue

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭

Have an issue....

I've a belkin G+ mimo router that's doing the wireless 'round the
    house. Nearly everything picks it up (my acer laptop, the wii, my
    iphone) but my missus' toshiba laptop doesn't seem to 'see it'. I've
    updated the drivers for the on-board wireless utility in it and I know
    it's working as it recognises the neighbours various wireless networks
    but just not this fecking router.

It's a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5022

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What channel are you using on the router? Is it channel 13 by any chance? Drivers for wireless cards sometimes have a setting that restricts them to use just US (1-11) / EU (1-13) or Japanese (1-14) channel ranges, and if it defaults to the US settings it just plain won't see any AP that's transmitting above channel 11. Sometimes though there's no setting, and you have to get hold of a new driver instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

beautiful, job done!

It was on channel 13

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So, did you manage to find the setting in the driver, or did you just change the channel on the router? This happens quite a lot in my experience, and sometimes for whatever reason it just seems impossible to persuade some wireless cards to work above channel 11.

Advertisement