Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equestrian photography

• 28-01-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

Sunday 1st February
    Hi everybody, I have this weekend off and I have organised with the owners of the yard where my Horse is to bring some people from Boards.ie up to take some shots of Horses close up. Itinerary would be to meet up at 12 and have a bit of a health and safety chat about being around Horses, then move into the stables and I can give some advice about shooting the sort of pictures that most of you have seen from myself (dark, moody and with the Horse nearly separated from the background) then some more advice on what sort of static shots that buyers want from a portrait (head and full) then we will move up to the top sand arena where all the photographers will be positioned in the middle of the arena and the Horses will be running around them. I can give advice in term of shutter speeds/ISO/technique to anybody who needs it. All the fields are closed at the moment but I might be able to get them into one of the smaller ones for 10-15 minutes.

I have two Horses for the day, Spirit (white) and Rogue (Brown) so there is enough of a variety in the colours to satisify everybody.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithjack/sets/72157594159133665/

We can retire to the local pub afterwards and have a coffee and have a look at some of the pictures taken during the day and maybe talk about processing and the different ways to go about it.

Max people for the day is 10 and I have to be very strict about this :(

1: Thonda
    2: Covey
    3: Paulw
    4: fazeal
    5: Mart Max
    6: Ballyman
    7: Darren
    8: Dink
    9: Qwertz
    10: Jemmy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd love to attend (if available). Always fun with the horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Saturday or Sunday, Keith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just edited it for this Sunday, the yard is very busy on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fazeal

im game for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Count me in Keith :D

Almost a year now (well about 9 months) since you introduced me to equestrian photography. Was a great experience back then!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Hi Keith

Stick my name down for this if there is room please.

I'd love to but will have to pass.

Different kind of horsepower calls on Sunday.
    4 wheeled wrc cars instead of 4 legs!

Thanks for the offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

dakar wrote: »
    I'd love to but will have to pass.

Different kind of horsepower calls on Sunday.
    4 wheeled wrc cars instead of 4 legs!

Thanks for the offer
    My Polish mate from Cavan mentioned this....any more details?

Don't want to hijack this thread so I'll stick up some more details on the thread over in Expeditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RHD

would love to go , sounds like a fantastic idea but can't make it this time ! Looking forward to seeing the photos of the day !

• Advertisement

I always enjoy everybodies different take on what I see nearly every day

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/415812493_10416b68af.jpg
    415812493_10416b68af.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

If there's any room left I'll take a spot. Be good to dust of the 300mm again.

and thanks for organising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Count me in, well, you already did :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Great idea Keith!

I'd have called up just to say hi but stuck working sunday.
    Have fun, looking foward to seeing the pics you may put them up here!

:)

Thats 7 so far, thanks for the replies. Jemmy you up in Broadmeadows at the weekend doing inter schools?

Borderfox wrote: »
    Thats 7 so far, thanks for the replies. Jemmy you up in Broadmeadows at the weekend doing inter schools?

Yep, great fun! There is only so much excited screaming school kids you can take over the winter! :D

What you been up to?

PR and a lot of commercial (shots for websites)

Damn it! Would have loved to go on that. its the one weekend I am not in Ireland!

Ah well, have fun anyway!

PR and a lot of commercial (shots for websites)

Oh cool, nearly bought my own camera back before christmas to try do a few nixers myself but ended up putting the money to head off to New Zealand instead! :p

Sorry off topic, guys and girls he really knows his stuff I get your name down quick!
    Great opportunity. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Keith stick me in for this if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

oh my,
    pity i couldn't travel to this!! it'd be interesting, unfortunately or fortunately, I'm working for the Government and the Country that day !
    hope everyone has a enjoyable time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks Keith , I'm in was great last year.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

OMG, can't believe I nearly missed this. Can I skid into 9th place.. Pretty please??? Damn football last night kept me off the net! Really enjoyed it last Keith, thanks for organising round 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Sounds like a great day. Unfortunately I'm not around. Maybe next time. Hope you all have a good one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Actually I just remembered I have a match to play on Sunday. Damn it!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Dink wrote: »
    OMG, can't believe I nearly missed this. Can I skid into 9th place.. Pretty please??? Damn football last night kept me off the net! Really enjoyed it last Keith, thanks for organising round 2!

Yeah! finally get to see the D700. Don't forget it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

As if I'D forget!!! Muhahaha!

Tis done Dink, pity Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Whereabouts is this? Would love to join, but haven't got a car..

• Advertisement

The yard is clearly visible in the centre of this map, the location is m50/New N2/blanchardstown exit/old n2/turn right at Coolquay Lodge pub/continue down road for approx 2 miles/Equestrian Centre on left Thornton Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=15.962437,45.263672&ie=UTF8&ll=53.474114,-6.34321&spn=0.008723,0.019226&t=h&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Sick, Bloody christening this sunday down the country, and I'm out that direction most Sundays, up the road at broadmeadows.

I would love if the group that goes post up the tips they learned or found most usefull.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Really enjoyed this last year, unfortunately can't make it this Sunday. Maybe next time Keith, thanks for the offer.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Sick, Bloody christening this sunday down the country, and I'm out that direction most Sundays, up the road at broadmeadows.

I would love if the group that goes post up the tips they learned or found most usefull.

Brian

If its any consolation Brian, I will be working in Broadmeadows the following weekend so feel free to drop up. I am shooting and printing on site.

Keith

There is still one free space in my car, if anybody wants a lift. PM me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

The last two times were good fun. The first one was freezing cold, the second one gave me the sunburn of the decade. I'd like to come along if you still have a free slot.

• Advertisement

One more slot left :)

Could I take the last place?
    Pm sent, just to check with you!

All places filled many thanks everybody and the weather looks fine for Sunday.

I will have all my gear with me so any other Canon heads can feel free to try whatever they like.

Canon 1dmk3
    Canon 5d
    Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye
    Canon 24-70 f2.8L
    Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L
    Canon 85mm f1.8
    Canon 85mm f1.2L
    Canon 50mm f1.4
    Canon 135mm f2L
    Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 (Thonda)
    Canon 17-40 f4L (Thonda :) )

I will have some flashes with me (2x580exII) and the remote camera triggers that I use also. I will bring the laptop for later on and can upload some of the shots from the day and give mine and other peoples opinion on what looks good and what doesnt and why thats so.

That's weird. I click your link, it shows the equestrian centre for half a second and then moves to Dublin CC.
    The yard is clearly visible in the centre of this map, the location is m50/New N2/blanchardstown exit/old n2/turn right at Coolquay Lodge pub/continue down road for approx 2 miles/Equestrian Centre on left Thornton Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=15.962437,45.263672&ie=UTF8&ll=53.474114,-6.34321&spn=0.008723,0.019226&t=h&z=16

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Really Sorry, sudden change of plans so my place is available.
    So snap it up quick guys!

Jemmy

Does the same for me. I do remember the location, though. Well, kind of with my trusty Map of Ireland from 1998.

I'll try to find it.
    There'll be 5D, 24-70/2.8L and 50/1.8 of mine also available. Well, one lense of course, the body and the other lense (or borrowed one) will be in use, at least some time.
    And yes, I will bring both lenses back - I am scared even to touch them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Howdy

Is it just a case of turning up at the gate at 12 and asking for you Keith or whats the story?

The weather is looking good for tomorrow. Just found out that we are hosting a dinner in the evening so I am offering my spot to somebody that doesn't have plans. Keith, thanks for organising the meetup, maybe next time.

No problems Qwertz thanks for letting me know.

So, in 11 hours and 45 minutes at the carpark? :pac:

11 hours and 24 minutes now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

This is me on the right :)
    2317564342_34e5f87ced.jpg

Phew, glad to told me as it was hard to tell :P :cool: :D:D:p

Have fun today guys!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement