Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres with tubes in them?

• 28-01-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Was getting a puncture fixed today and the guy said that they couldn't repair the tube in the tyre for safety reasons. They offered to try repair it without the tube and all seems ok.

He suggested that in the long run it might be a better idea to replace the tyres with tubes in them with ones without tubes as the tubes are only i old cars or in smaller garages where they don't have to worry about safety as much?

He also suggested that car handling is vastly improved on the tyres without the tubes.

Now, he didn't try push anything on me and actually pushed me to get the tyre repaired without the tube rather than buy a new tyre .. so it wasn't some sort of hard sell. Unless he was trying to get it into my head for another visit?

Any thoughts on this? Does this information seem accurate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's been a while since I've come across tubed tyres. Practically everything is now tubeless.

What make/model/year is your chariot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's a 99 Opel Corsa Eco.

Chariot? Yah .. something like that :D I almost need 2 horses to pull it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That shouldnt have tubes. They are gone 20 years+
    Garage guy was dead right,get rid of them tubes. Anyway modern tyres arent designed to be used with tubes. Sounds like some dodgy f*cker put a tube in to solve a mystery slow puncture.

Is there anyway that I can check if my tyres have tubes in them with limited car maintance knowledge?

Is it really worth investing in 4 new tyres if they all have tubes in them .. and the spare too presumably .. at a cost of about €200 given the cars age and worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If a tyre with tube takes a puncture from a small object (such as glass or a nail) at speed it's far more likely to suffer a catastrophic deflation because the tube loses integrity and air is forced out past the valve. When a tubeless tyre takes a similar puncture it tends to deflate more slowly and quite often the pressure will almost completely re-seal the hole in the rubber. While the likelihood is low you don't want a sudden deflation at the speed limit of most main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are they still the original tyres? *could* be that the "eco" model came with some sort of special tyre.

Either way, they need changing.

I don't know if they are the original tyres. I would assume they're not as they're not bald .. and surely after this long they should be? Unless I've misunderstood you .. not trying to be smart! I've not owned the car since 99.

"they need changing" - what, as a matter or urgency? Or like saying "you need to change that oil one of the days" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As stated, tubeless tyres are safer - you may never need to call on the added safety but then again, tomorrow may be the day you need it - you know, if you buy a Lotto ticket your numbers may come up................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Another problem with running tubes in a tubeless tyre (ie one designed not for a tube) is that the movement between the tube and tyre (yes, there is movement due to the weight of the car being on different parts of the tyre as the wheel rotates) causes failure in both the tube and tyre.

As well as that, it's impossible to get tube tyres at your local tyre shop. Most of them (for the classic car guys) come from the UK, and even then, tubes were being phased out in the 50's and 60's

I'd be VERY surprised to find tubes in your tyres, and if they are there, get rid of them now. After all, the only thing keeping you in contact with the road is the tyres.

Thanks for the advice so far.

The tyre that was punctured had the tube taken out of it because he said he couldn't repair it. Then he put air into it and all without the tube. He told me to give it a couple of days. He reckons it should be grand but if it isn't I might need a new tyre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement