Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia E51 vodafone and voip on my LAN

• 28-01-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia E51 from vodafone and I can connect happily to my LAN in the house. I want to use the handset for VOIP. There are 2 applications on the phone called Boingo Wi-Fi and easy Wi-Fi which should be able to give me VOIP. But when I install any of these I get an error that the content is blocked (error 403).

Are Vodafone stopping the handset use for VOIP via my LAN ?

And can either of these applications do the job ?

Are they a version of skype ?

Is skype available as a SIP application and work on an E51 ?

I am trying to avoid paying for another handset for skype. It seems silly if the E51 can do it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Install Fring or Gizmo or Truphone and a network can't block you from using your wlan connection for voip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Whats wrong with the nokia client already on the phone?! Does the job for me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭Damien360

I came across fring while waiting for a response here. I have been reading and have a few small questions.

Do I need a skype account aswell as this ? I plan to use my phone abroad on hotel Wi-Fi and call home to another E51 with fring installed on each.

I do not want it to jump to a 3G network when the Wi-Fi is not available. Is fring customisable enough to only work when home network is detected and only on other Wi-Fi locations ?

Any drawbacks ?

mad.mike wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the nokia client already on the phone?! Does the job for me anyway!

Which one are you using. I found just the 2 listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Fring will stick with your wifi connection if you want it to. Fring to Fring calls are free, although you can use its SIP profile from within the app to call using your skype account.

• Advertisement

Another question.... What quality of broadband is required for this to work.

My home is 3Mb down 300 up with pings of 200ms at best

Most hotels 1Mb to 2Mb down and 100 to 200 up. Never looked at pings.

Looking to switch to UPC for 10Mb down and 1Mb up soon. This should do the trick but at the moment not so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Damien360 wrote: »
    Which one are you using. I found just the 2 listed above.

Think mad.mike was talking about the native and built-in SIP client which you invoke by choosing Call -> Internet call.

Don't think there's any Irish ISP which gives a ping of <100ms, which is a catastrophy for online gaming.

Anyway back to topic: I have found that SIP works acceptably well on Three when using Blueface with codec g.729. I am aware of the point that lowering the codec doesn't solve latency problems, however, I found a great sound performance improvement after asking Blueface to change the codec.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Think mad.mike was talking about the native and built-in SIP client which you invoke by choosing Call -> Internet call.

I tried this one on my phone (vodafone) and it failed at the connection. Checked settings and all seems fine. Anyway, tried fring and it works well. One fault, it chews the battery because you cannot stop the application. Only way around is to set it not to work on startup and then restart phone. It would be nice to see an enable/disable application button added.

What do you mean you cannot stop it? You can just exit it.

• Advertisement

What do you mean you cannot stop it? You can just exit it.

Ah yes. You press exit but if you check the running applications you will find the fring one still running. It will force a connection out to the router even when the application is set to exit. Since it has an active scan for WLAN it chews the battery. When I leave the house I would like to fully end the application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Does anyone know of a J2ME voip client that'll work on a Sony Ericsson phone that has wifi?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Minifring?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Minifring?

it would seem not and it looks from this that nothing supports it:

http://java-phones.com/freeware/minifring-v165
    minifring is a lite version of fring, developed specifically for J2ME devices which do not support voice over IP calling. minifring delivers the same fantastic user experience as fring, initially focusing on several of fring's most popular features: rich IM-style chat and live presence, enabling owners of JAVA ME devices to now enjoy the freedom of interacting with other fringsters and taking all of their internet communities mobile.

Ah yes. You press exit but if you check the running applications you will find the fring one still running. It will force a connection out to the router even when the application is set to exit. Since it has an active scan for WLAN it chews the battery. When I leave the house I would like to fully end the application.

This sounds very strange. Have you made sure that the WLAN connection has been disconnected in Conn. mgr.? Then it should not be any problems. My fring is exiting just fine and the 3g connection will disconnect automatically. The same happens with WLAN. Try it again, and let me know if the problem persists.

This sounds very strange. Have you made sure that the WLAN connection has been disconnected in Conn. mgr.? Then it should not be any problems. My fring is exiting just fine and the 3g connection will disconnect automatically. The same happens with WLAN. Try it again, and let me know if the problem persists.

he's probably pressing the hide button and not the exit one.

you need to press options->exit, not just the right soft key

Sam: probably that's the case.

No not hitting the hide key but using the exit key. Still application runs unless I turn phone off and back on. It forces a connection back to my WLAN even after exiting. Might try removing app and reloading from scratch.

No not hitting the hide key but using the exit key. Still application runs unless I turn phone off and back on. It forces a connection back to my WLAN even after exiting. Might try removing app and reloading from scratch.

maybe you should because that doesn't happen to me

Re-loaded the application and it is now exiting fully when I hit the exit key.

I have a problem I cannot sort out with skype.
    I did the fring test call - no problems.
    I did the skype echo123 test call - no problems.

But none of my skype contacts are being loaded. I also need to ring the echo123 to get the green online icon to come up. But, nobody is able to ring me. They keep getting a busy message via skype. I diabled my router firewall as a test. Still same. I tried on another skype account myself and still busy. I cannot find any mention of ports required to be forwarded for fring. Skype has ports of 80 and 443 to be opened according to the connection box on the PC. I could only enable 80 as UDP on the router as the other was in use. But still the same. The skype user must try to dial me to see if I am online, otherwise offline. This is where the busy message comes up.

Any ideas. I tried both skype and fring support blogs with no success.

• Advertisement

quintron wrote: »
    Install Fring or Gizmo or Truphone and a network can't block you from using your wlan connection for voip.

Do you know of another client like Fring that'll support skype? I tried Skype's own beta app but it tells me calling isn't available in my region.
    Re-loaded the application and it is now exiting fully when I hit the exit key.

I have a problem I cannot sort out with skype.
    I did the fring test call - no problems.
    I did the skype echo123 test call - no problems.

But none of my skype contacts are being loaded. I also need to ring the echo123 to get the green online icon to come up. But, nobody is able to ring me. They keep getting a busy message via skype. I diabled my router firewall as a test. Still same. I tried on another skype account myself and still busy. I cannot find any mention of ports required to be forwarded for fring. Skype has ports of 80 and 443 to be opened according to the connection box on the PC. I could only enable 80 as UDP on the router as the other was in use. But still the same. The skype user must try to dial me to see if I am online, otherwise offline. This is where the busy message comes up.

Any ideas. I tried both skype and fring support blogs with no success.

You might be having the same problem I am, I can't set up my skype registration on Fring. See here for more:
    http://www.fring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14203

edit:@ quintron, I realise in that link I mentioned that Nimbuzz supports skype but not for calls

fring has spontaneously started to work again :confused:

it kept telling me i couldn't subscribe to skype and to check my user-id and password and i just left it sitting there and then about an hour later i heard the buzz of someone sending me a skype message. i chatted to him for a while and then tried to make a call and it worked :confused:

maybe they saw my thread and fixed something?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    fring has spontaneously started to work again :confused:

it kept telling me i couldn't subscribe to skype and to check my user-id and password and i just left it sitting there and then about an hour later i heard the buzz of someone sending me a skype message. i chatted to him for a while and then tried to make a call and it worked :confused:

maybe they saw my thread and fixed something?
    Still not working for me . Is this a fring problem or my router setup problem ?

Still not working for me . Is this a fring problem or my router setup problem ?

i'd say it's a fring problem. it can take a few minutes for your skype contacts to appear. what was happening for me was after about 5 minutes it would tell me it couldn't login to skype. maybe try unsubscribing, leaving it for an hour to let the system catch up, then turning off and on the phone and trying to subscribe again.

can you try any of the other services to see if they can connect, gtalk or msn etc?

Still skype is not working after a reload. Tried MSN messanger and that appears to be working. My phone even recognised a second login when I logged in via my PC with same username. That happened without any changes to my router setup. I have no ports opened for any application at the moment. I tried opening 80 as tcp and the random port set by skype on my PC as UDP and still no difference.

The sooner skype develop their own sis appliaction the better and I can forget about fring. Pity but they seem unable to address the problem (looking at the forums on fring).

Advertisement