Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid but important question!

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    ok I know I'll sound really dumb here but here goes

got my laptop today and obviously want to use it for the internet - wireless

the modem we use for our PC at home is a netopia 3347NWG, with eircom

I KNOW it's probably a stupid question but do I have to get another modem to use wireless? If not, how do I set up wireless on my laptop?

Please help a computer-retarded student :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

This one is the wireless one:

www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347nwgent.html

This is the non wireless version:

www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347nwvgx.html

Depending on which one you have then you can discern if you need a wireless router or not

MC

Edit: seems they are both linking to the same basic router, shorter way to find out, does the router have an aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭underthetides

Yes, it has an aerial.

I think I've figured out the problem though, I have the DSL modem but do not have a wireless router in between the DSL modem and the laptop

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes, it has an aerial.

I think I've figured out the problem though, I have the DSL modem but do not have a wireless router in between the DSL modem and the laptop

If it has an aerial then you have a combined wireless router and modem. So you dont need anything else to go wireless.

Thanks a mil! So all I need now is to contact eircom for a password, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Turn the modem over, think eircom supplied ones have the default key printed on a label, you will want to input your own key tbh the eircom ones are flawed.

When you scan for wireless networks do you see any (you might see your neighbours)?

login to 192.168.1.254 and look around the menus for the wireless settings, the links i posted above shloud have manuals if you can't find your ones.

MC

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all your help. I think I'm getting there! ;)

Yeah, when I scan for wireless networks on the laptop, I get eircom3001 5300, which is listed as the wireless ID when I go to http://192.168.1.254 on my PC. I assume this means my connection is being detected on the laptop?

The only number printed on a label on the back of the modem is a serial number. However, on http://192.168.1.254, there is a long encryption key - could this be the password?

Thanks again and sorry for the stupidity :P :P :P

As you can access the router via the http 192 etc you would be strongly advised to change your wireless security to wpa (much stronger than the default wep) then you can choose your own password - also change the ssid name from the eircom one to something you like yourself then save your settings and exit. Your laptop should then seen your newly nameed network and when you attemtp to access it you will be asked for the password you have just set up. Bob should now be your uncle!

Thanks!

Ok -there's WPA PSK and WPA 802.1x, which do you recommend?

And is the encryption key the password? I don't wanna go changing anything I shouldn't.

Thanks!

Ok -there's WPA PSK and WPA 802.1x, which do you recommend?

And is the encryption key the password? I don't wanna go changing anything I shouldn't.

Choose wpa psk (psk = preshared key in other words a password:) for the encryption key choose your own password which you will be asked for as soon as you select the wpa psk - also change the ssid or network name save your settings and exit.

...and I am now posting this from my new laptop! :D

Thank you all SO MUCH! I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement