Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to stop! the N11 queue jumpers...

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have wasted about a full year of my life already sitting on the motorway where the M50 meets the N11 and ill tell you why!At evening rush hour when the traffic is busy southbound Queue jumpers in their hundreds,that includes,cars,trucks,buses,and emergency services drive down the bray exit to the very end then push their way back into the traffic.I feel like screaming when i have been queueing for 10 minutes to get past bray and johnny x plastering company from gorey in his white transit 08-wx sails past me.He knows some fool will leave a 100ft gap in front of him, and if all else fails there always the hard shoulder.The gardai are powerless to stop these people because the council decided not to put a solid white line there.Please Wicklow County Council stop the torture before there is Slaughter!:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

When you're merging onto a congested motorway, the most efficient way for everyone is for the people coming on the motorway to drive right down to the very end of the slip, and then everyone merge, in turn, like a zip. If this was taught in driving lessons, it would make rush hour motorway driving much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The problem is they're not merging off a slip, they're skipping the entire slip by using a Collector/Distributor lane (like the M50 has on its upgraded sections) and forcing their way in at the end of it...

But yes, zip merging should be taught and legally required in some places - when coming through the signed "merge in turn" section of the A1 north of the border if you're in the outside lane, southern drivers NEVER let you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

:cool:The bray slip road starts where the N11 meets the M50.The queue jumpers leave the motorway onto the bray slip road and then try to pretend they are merging traffic.The other queue jumpers forget where they live until 20ft from the cheverons then bull back in,, or as i have seen stop dead in the bray exit lane and wait for someone to let them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

its the same @ Hills garages. left to kilcroney right to bray & what do they do go left swing right & go down the SC route - many a time nearly ploughed out ! The only thing that ever seems to stop there & the N11/M50 is Garda pressence. !!!!

jenzz wrote: »
    its the same @ Hills garages. left to kilcroney right to bray & what do they do go left swing right & go down the SC route - many a time nearly ploughed out ! The only thing that ever seems to stop there & the N11/M50 is Garda pressence. !!!!
    I agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

and the worst culprit is our own state bus service,driver of the 133 bus does it all the time!!.

I have left peole up on the white strips there a few times by not letting them in and they get thick with me, may i refer you to the rules of the road on how to merge to a motorway??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    :mad::mad:

Ciaranpm wrote: »
    and the worst culprit is our own state bus service,driver of the 133 bus does it all the time!!.

I have left peole up on the white strips there a few times by not letting them in and they get thick with me, may i refer you to the rules of the road on how to merge to a motorway??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    :mad::mad:
    I watched the rosslare bus do this on several occasions too.think it time for desgarrett and you tube to name and shame !

2 years driving that route think i have seen the rozzers twice maybe three times at that junction once it was a an oul lad in a porsche on the white strips - ah its the small things in life !!!! what a tosser

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they have to merge somewhere - there's no rule that says you have to merge immediately afaik.

they dont even try they speed up and undertake a whole line of traffic,the signage above that lane says it is for Bray not:

"Drive up this lane past a line of schmucks and cut in at the last moment to get home quicker"

Grr........

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    they have to merge somewhere - there's no rule that says you have to merge immediately afaik.
    There is a clearly marked merge lane for the N11 traffic,but the exit slip road for bray is to the left of that and the jumpers ignore the merge lane and drive down the bray slip road past hundreds of queueing cars then bull in right at the top.Same problem happens on M50 at blanch exit.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There is a clearly marked merge lane for the N11 traffic,but the exit slip road for bray is to the left of that and the jumpers ignore the merge lane and drive down the bray slip road past hundreds of queueing cars then bull in right at the top.Same problem happens on M50 at blanch exit.:cool:

Very true. Thankfully I only have to drive this at rush hours maybe once every six weeks or so but it a feckin nightmare. Traffic backs way up as a result of it, almost to Cherrywood at times and once you are past this junction it thins out again slightly. Nothing short of concrete barriers dividing the lanes will stop it though:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its not that clear cut - if you're travelling south from Loughlinstown, the right-hand lane merges with the M50 (quite quickly) and the left-hand lane continues to become the Bray drop-lane. The vast majority of traffic coming from N11 is going past the Bray turnoff, if they all tried to merge from the right-hand lane it would cause even more chaos. Its perfectly valid to continue on the drop-lane and merge further up, though obviously you should do this well before the lane splits off for Bray.

Very true. Thankfully I only have to drive this at rush hours maybe once every six weeks or so but it a feckin nightmare. Traffic backs way up as a result of it, almost to Cherrywood at times and once you are past this junction it thins out again slightly. Nothing short of concrete barriers dividing the lanes will stop it though:mad:
    A solid white line and a traffic bike for a few weeks would take the horn off some of those jumpers.Im just as annoyed with the people that leave huge un necessary gaps in front of them,all they are doing is keeping the jumpers options open.If drivers didnt let them in...the chancers might think twice about it! I got so fustrated at one stage i used to launch eggs at them!:p

:cool:
    loyatemu wrote: »
    its not that clear cut - if you're travelling south from Loughlinstown, the right-hand lane merges with the M50 (quite quickly) and the left-hand lane continues to become the Bray drop-lane. The vast majority of traffic coming from N11 is going past the Bray turnoff, if they all tried to merge from the right-hand lane it would cause even more chaos. Its perfectly valid to continue on the drop-lane and merge further up, though obviously you should do this well before the lane splits off for Bray.
    In reality as long as WW county council leaves the broken white line there the queue jumpers are free to jump.Maybe the gards could get them for lack of consideration for other road users ,or something like that.Even if they stood there and forced them all to take the bray exit it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aaah, one of my favourite (not!) spots. The people doing this know full well what they're doing, and do it even when the traffic is only mildly busy and there are plenty of easy and safe opportunities to pull into the mainline in the 1km+ that lane exists for. I even see people just carry on at that junction along the hard shoulder for a couple of 100m, and then barge their way in.

Strangely, going the other way, the opposite happens, and cars that have been sailing down the overtaking lane on the M11 for miles, suddenly feel the urge to take the M11 exit where the M50 and M11 split and swerve across two lanes of traffic to do so, when there's been a virtually empty exit lane for the M11 again for over a kilometre.

And as for the Hill's Roundabout thing, a bit of imaginitive lane marking would help there .. left lane for the Kilcroney exit (which let's face it, is hardly used for traffic coming off the N11 northbound) AND Killarney Road, and right lane for the Southern Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I've come to hate those who queue jump by using the hard shoulder further along the N11. Tried to not let someone in, and nearly had an accident because the driver of the car in the hard shoulder wouldn't stop. Similar things happen like that ALL the time. Another annoying thing is people using exits (e.g. the greystones exit driving north) to skip queues.

esharknz wrote: »
    I've come to hate those who queue jump by using the hard shoulder further along the N11. Tried to not let someone in, and nearly had an accident because the driver of the car in the hard shoulder wouldn't stop. Similar things happen like that ALL the time. Another annoying thing is people using exits (e.g. the greystones exit driving north) to skip queues.
    I Got this idea recently whereby i use a web cam stuck to my dash that plugs into my lap top and record all day while im driving,everyday i film some clown doing something stupid or rude.when the days get longer im going to start recording,and broadcasting the queue jumpers on the N11.I have about 12 short clips already on you tube.They can be found under the name desgarrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I Got this idea recently whereby i use a web cam stuck to my dash that plugs into my lap top and record all day while im driving,everyday i film some clown doing something stupid or rude.when the days get longer im going to start recording,and broadcasting the queue jumpers on the N11.I have about 12 short clips already on you tube.They can be found under the name desgarrett.

Send them all to the traffic corps. They may actually do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Why I wonder is this type of behaviour SO prevalent amongst our indigeneous driver base ?

I am constantly dumbfounded by the General standard I experience when driving in the UK,particularly when a similar case to this arises.

Yes they DO have nitwits and chancers BUT at nothing like the level we have.

A recent journey around the Birmingham area displayed that so graphically as I watched all these damn Brits zip-merging at a very similar location to the N/M11 as described.

The result was that even though traffic was heavy the actual flow remained steady and without recourse to sudden evasive manouveres.

It worth mentioning too that the one occurrence of aggressive "Irish" style driving came from two "lads" in a lowered BMW 5 series.....BUT Lo and Behold what did we come across at services slip-road some miles further down but the SAME BMW and its occupants being questioned (Politely,I assume) by a Police Volvo team.

It was only later on that I came to think about the CCTV observation camera gantries which were at the original location and the resultant possibility that our "Lads" had been observed and noted for further action....would this be the case I wonder ?

As for the M/N11 situation,I would recommend a few days Hi-Profile Traffic Corps activity at the Bray South Off Ramp with all traffic using it to be allowed to make full use of the facilities of Bray Town....If that fails then Kerbing and Armco is yer only man !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There is a clearly marked merge lane for the N11 traffic,but the exit slip road for bray is to the left of that and the jumpers ignore the merge lane and drive down the bray slip road past hundreds of queueing cars then bull in right at the top.

That is not correct. There are two lanes on the M11 approaching the M50 and BOTH are signed for merging. The right lane first and the left lane after a hatched area that seperates it from the other 3.

There is nothing illegal about continuing to the end of the lane before merging, it is a broken white line throughout and passing slow moving traffic on the left is not illegal either. You are simply angry because you see others getting an advantage over you. Fact is the M50 traffic is much heavier and at the pinch point it backs up more.

IMO the actual pinch point on that road is not at that merge anyway, it is at the bottom of the hill before the Bray south exit. The traffic there always slows down and in the heavy rush hour piss poor driving means it virtually stops causing a cascade all the way back to the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

To the OP,

I drive from Sandyford to wicklow every evening.
    When we get to the N11/M50 merge I move over onto the "bray bound" lane.
    Rather than moving back into the outer 2 lanes before the Bray exit, I continue into the large roundabout between bray/shankill and then back onto the M11. Only once this winter has it failed to save time.
    There is nothing illegal/immoral/shady about it.

Regarding those that actualy do jump back in before the Bray exit.
    I dont do it because I feel like its bad form, but I dont think they are breaking the rules as the road markings are a broken white line before the exit markings?

Regarding the 133 bus doing this. I used to take this bus and I was always gratefull for the driver pulling this manouver. This bus is slow, infrequent, expensive to use, crowded & too hot. I think you can cut the driver a little slack. Because you can always reduce the conjestion by joining him on the bus :o

:cool:At no point did i say these queue jumpers were breaking any traffic laws.if you read my orignal post i clearly state that.my point was that these people were taking advantage of broken white lines to skip a queue.we could all do that ,but we dont because only assholes that think we are all fools do it.ignorant tossers that think queueing is only for fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It happens a bit along there. Killarney Rd. to Enniskerry turn-off, Kilmac station to beyond Avoca, even though the lines show that one must merge before that. The only reasn I don't mind the bus drivers doing it(and probably biased here cos I get the bus), is that they have to run to a timetable, so the driver feels more pressurised into doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Imteresting thread. I was nearly in an accident today when some lunatic pulled out in front of me leaving Kilmacanouge petrol station (southbound) while I was turning off onto the R755. A simple solution here would be to force anyone using the petrol station here to go off at the slip and back on again to the N11 a few hundred yards down the road, before someone gets killed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's madness alright. Whoever sanctioned that junction should be shot, buried and then dug up, hung drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gillymayb

I hate this road. I live in Bray North so have to stay in Bray slip road and always end up stopped behind some car, bus, truck or van waiting for them to merge at the very last moment. It drives me crazy and you can always tell who is going to do it. I remember one day, a white transit van pulled straight out of main motorway lane, in front of me. he didnt even see me. I blasted him out of it and got two fingers stuck up at me. he then went back into the main lanes but not even where the line was broken, he crossed the hatched area (one tyre on grass!)

Advertisement