Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DorS 11watt Megaman

Options
  • 28-01-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    Has anyone used these megaman 11w bulbs in there recess lighting. Looks like a great concept.
    Pete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

do you mean the dimmable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Yes, they are dimmable using a standard on/off switch.
    They is a good example on megaman website.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    knx wrote: »
    do you mean the dimmable ones

I have used the "dimmerable" ones. Just had a look on the website and they are in a different range. They are a good idea but don't really work very well. The big problem is that most conventional dimmer switches have a rating of 20 to 250 watts or 40 to 400 watts I think. Something like that anyway. Now while the upper end of this rating is not a problem the lower end is. The dimmerable lamps draw say 11 watts at 100% brightness however when dimmed to say 10% they will only draw 1 or 2 watts this is where the problem lies. In order to dim them right down as low as the switch will go you would need about 20 of them on one switch to stop them cutting out. Also as with all cfls they take about 20 seconds to warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

knx wrote: »
    I have used the "dimmerable" ones. Just had a look on the website and they are in a different range. They are a good idea but don't really work very well. The big problem is that most conventional dimmer switches have a rating of 20 to 250 watts or 40 to 400 watts I think. Something like that anyway. Now while the upper end of this rating is not a problem the lower end is. The dimmerable lamps draw say 11 watts at 100% brightness however when dimmed to say 10% they will only draw 1 or 2 watts this is where the problem lies. In order to dim them right down as low as the switch will go you would need about 20 of them on one switch to stop them cutting out. Also as with all cfls they take about 20 seconds to warm up.

are you sure this it the case? the above sounds like an issue for LED lamps IMO.

My understanding of the CFL dimmable lamps was that they are electronic and all the dimming is in the lamp and not in the resistive dimming switch, it is a step by step dimming.
    Therefore they just need a signal and will dim with a normal on/off light switch, i.e. just keep flicking it on and off to cycle through the dimming steps, i.e. 100%, 80%, 60% etc.
    They will work on a normal dimming switch but not my using its dimming mec, but by using it to switch the fitting on and off, so it would be a bit of work going over and back on the dimmer to cycle the light level, however for dimmers that will switch on and off by pressing them you wont have this issue. Maybe there is a new range, but this was my understanding of the first Megaman CFL dimming lights, as always I'm open to being wrong again.

And OP I have not used them sorry, so I dont know how they look or how smooth the dimming is, but I do like their standard CFL lamp.

are you sure this it the case? the above sounds like an issue for LED lamps IMO.

Yeah I'm sure because it caused a nightmare for me. Was in a pub I rewired and there was 9 of them on the circuit so I cahnged one lamp to a 50w halogen to compensate. Got everything up and running but to be honest I wasn't aware of the whole step dimming thing so I must research it further. I was going on the instructions of my local wholesaler who is himself an electrician. This would not be the first time he told me something would work when it didn't. Thanks Stoner. You learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,
    This system is on the megaman website and is called dors which is a new idea i think!!!
    They cost an average 4 euro extra and i will put in a total of 39 of a total 57 recess lights in my house.
    Thanks,
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

ive just taken abunch of 11w megamans out of my house. the warm-up delay was a pain and you are quite restricted in the fittings you can use. ive replaced them with 2w superbright led's from ecopal.ie. they have a nice yellowish light
    and are as bright as a 50w halogen, the suppliers also had a 2.3w softlight from the same manufacturer. i got one to try out but found it dimmer and too white.

That's interesting, I wonder how they compare to other 2W LED fittings, I've tested most of the LED options, every time I try a new one they get better.
    I have some decent ones I bought from future LEDs, I'm happy with them, but they are not what i would consider a 50W halogen replacement.

I've tested other brands too, and light levels they claim to match on their sites have always been out. I've also noted that while some LEDs lamps have a decent punch of light, the distribution angle is too small, but these are great for lighting a feature and have a place in some designs.

How much are they, I don't see the info on the site?

A straight changeover from halogen to LED with 0 warm up at a reasonable price would be a huge development IMO.

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    This system is on the megaman website and is called dors which is a new idea i think!!!
    They cost an average 4 euro extra and i will put in a total of 39 of a total 57 recess lights in my house.
    Thanks,
    Pete

yeah I think its the same, page one on their PDF shows the steps, explains dial or switch and indicates the steps, I was wrong with the steps they are 100%, 66%, 33% and 5%

http://www.megamanuk.com/pdfs/catalogue-2008/dors.pdf

BTW the light output at 5% consuming 9W does not seem very good. A non dimmable 9W Megaman lamp outputs at a much higher intensity IMO.

Im confused now, i seen them ecopal LED's, 13 euro each so which is the better
    Led or megaman.
    Advice appreciated
    Pete
    xt40 wrote: »
    ive just taken abunch of 11w megamans out of my house. the warm-up delay was a pain and you are quite restricted in the fittings you can use. ive replaced them with 2w superbright led's from ecopal.ie. they have a nice yellowish light
    and are as bright as a 50w halogen, the suppliers also had a 2.3w softlight from the same manufacturer. i got one to try out but found it dimmer and too white.

• Advertisement

Im confused now, i seen them ecopal LED's, 13 euro each so which is the better
    Led or megaman.
    Advice appreciated
    Pete

might not be the answer you want but try this.

They use the same fittings and holders, get one of each and see for yourself. Who knows why someone might not like a lamp, quality, intensity, colour, start up etc.

for 13 euro its worth an experiment, who knows they might even exchange it.

I for one have yet to see an 8-15 euro LED lamp match a a halogen or even a CFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

i bought the ecopals for 7.50 +vat from an electrical wholesaler. i got over 20 so couldnt tell you the usual price
    the distribution angle is better than other leds ive tried as the individual led's stick out from the bulb which lets the light spread out more. with all the other ones ive seen, the led's were recessed behind a glass cover just like you have with a halogen bulb.

Hi,
    Just did it, got all 3
    50 watt halogen
    11 watt megaman
    2 watt ecopal

And i have to say its noticeable, the megaman is the way to go. The start up time is literally a few seconds but the light seems much better with a better light angle distribution.
    Going with the megaman.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    Stoner wrote: »
    might not be the answer you want but try this.

They use the same fittings and holders, get one of each and see for yourself. Who knows why someone might not like a lamp, quality, intensity, colour, start up etc.

for 13 euro its worth an experiment, who knows them might even exchange it.

I for one have yet to see an 8-15 euro LED lamp match a a halogen or even a CFL.

Hi,
    Just did it, got all 3
    50 watt halogen
    11 watt megaman
    2 watt ecopal

And i have to say its noticeable, the megaman is the way to go. The start up time is literally a few seconds but the light seems much better with a better light angle distribution.
    Going with the megaman.
    Thanks,
    Pete

Great,

I agree BTW I also have them all in my house too, not the ecopal LEDS but I looked at them and they seem to match ones I bought last month from another supplier, they are good (big improvement on older LEDs fitting with the flush glass) but not good enough as a replacement IMO. I have them in a shaving light in my bathroom, but the main light is a 13W PL lamp down lighter.

But suck it and see is prob the best way to go when it comes to light, particularly when women get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

LED lighting is taking off. The old style LED is at the end of it's product life cycle and the next generation stuff is hitting the market. Sure it's pricey but so were CFLs when they came out first. Just be sure you're comparing like with like. Some bulbs have a 20,000 life and some have a 50,000 life. Some are a nice yellowish shade of white, some are really bright white. A company in the Isle pf Man just cracked the whole dimmable LED problem so look out for bulbs that feature RAIS in about 6 months time.

Advertisement