Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your own drink into clubs.

Options
  • 28-01-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Why is this not allowed actually?

I can see the obvious reasons mangment want to enforce it, but is there actually any law stipulating that you may not bring your own drink into a club?

is it actually illegal or something managent just enforce so you buy rediculously over-priced drink inside?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Who drinks in nightclubs? Get pissed and then head there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Ah yes, I remember in my student days bringing 6 cans into the pub! My mate still brings vodka in and gets a coke. This thread should be renamed: Best ways of sneaking your own drink into pubs"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I think the licence only covers drink bought on the premises, not sure but I'd say so.

Slightly OT My ex brough a bottle of Lucozade full of vodka into a club with her. The lounge girl tried to take the half-full bottle away at some stage during the night to which my ex protested saying she hadn't finished and she'd bought the Lucozade at the bar. The lounge girl pointed out they didn't sell Lucozade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has something to do with that the bar area is a designated serving area and the licence is for this area and that alcohol only. If you bring drink in it's means that you bring unlicensed alcohol onto the premises, or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Why is this not allowed actually?

I can see the obvious reasons mangment want to enforce it, but is there actually any law stipulating that you may not bring your own drink into a club?

is it actually illegal or something managent just enforce so you buy rediculously over-priced drink inside?

the drink is ridiculously over priced to pay for the licence,barstaff,bouncers,cleaners,djs,entertainment as well as the cost of the actual liquid in the glass

thats why a can from tescos is €2 and pint is €6

there wouldnt be many clubs left if everyone started bringin their own drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

delllat wrote: »
    the drink is ridiculously over priced to pay for the licence,barstaff,bouncers,cleaners,djs,entertainment as well as the cost of the actual liquid in the glass

So the cover charge is the profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's probably to do with controlling the amounts that people drink. The bar has a duty (I think!) to ensure it doesn't serve drunk people etc etc and that it doesn't serve excessive amounts to people.

They lose this ability to monitor etc when people are bringing their own drink and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

So the cover charge is the profit?

some clubs are free in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Sort yourself out with a bottle of buckfast before you even head to the club. All you'll need to buy then is a can or 2 of red bull to really get you climbing the ****ing walls....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

DarkJager wrote: »
    Sort yourself out with a bottle of buckfast before you even head to the club. All you'll need to buy then is a can or 2 of red bull to really get you climbing the ****ing walls....

But we're not all from Galway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

The drink isn't overpriced. Thats just the price of drink in a nightclub. Forget your koka noodle student days and pay the asking price or just ya know....don't go to a nightclub...Now where's that stingy people thread gone...

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

some clubs are free in

Exactly. Or if there's a door charge, they have drinks promotions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Here's my tiips for a cheap night out.

You will need,
    1 70cl bottle of Tesco Vodka, - €15
    1 3 litre bottle of Lemonade - €2
    1 6pack of your Favourite(or cheapest) beer.

Drink said alcohol before you head out, if you get turned away from the club, you won't care because you are pissed anyway.

Go home, Drink the rest of your Alcohol, and Pass out.

Don't see a great night wasted, get wasted before you go out, and leave the wallet at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

there wouldnt be many clubs left if everyone started bringin their own drink

You speak some sense here.
    Sure drink is expensive, but so is overheads. There is justification for the price depending on which place you go to.

I can cook a mean steak at home for **** all, screw the restaurants:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Naggin.
    Works all the time..
    Except that one time the bouncer felt me in the wrong place.
    Or when it fell out of my pocket and smashed in the jacks.
    Yourman with the sprays wasn't best pleased. Didn't offer me a chewing gum..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Biggins wrote: »

Biggins ya legend. Meself and 12 mates are heading to liverpool for a night thanks to rynair's €1 flights :) might have to get a bus up to Oldham instead if we can get a night bus back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

in my college days i regularly brought a naggin/shoulder into a club in my sock.havent done it a long time but might be the way to go to save a few bob, i never have a proper night out in dublin for less than 100quid.sneaky naggin it is this weekend i think!!

friend of mine works in an offlicence and she said recently sales of the little 50ml bottles have rocketed.there easy to get in, people just dont have the money anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Would you bring your own food into a resturaunt? It's rediculously over priced in most places... (I know the margin of profit in some places is actually pretty low)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

The Can Can club in the Liquid Lounge in Cork sells cans for 2 euro, hot dogs for 1 euro, and has cracking music! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

But it is in Cork......
    The Can Can club in the Liquid Lounge in Cork sells cans for 2 euro, hot dogs for 1 euro, and has cracking music! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Amen to that!
    I believe they show Family Guy on the top floor aswell....just incase you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    But it is in Cork......

Exactly. We all live in Dublin here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My personal best was a 2L flagon of wine into the temple of sound, when they were finding E's in peoples mini jeans pockets. Frisked head to toe and they didn't find it.

For the high tec stasher, get the neoprene beer belly to keep it cold
    http://www.after5catalog.com/cocktailblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/beer-belly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sútalún wrote: »

Some of us live in places where the pubs are open all night, public transport runs all night and beers can be gotten for as little as €1.50 - €2.00 in some of the pubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

The best one Ive ever seen was when my friend brought a big wrapped pressie into a 40th party we were at in a hotel, the pressie contained 12 bottles of miller for herself for the evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

DAMN YOU!!!!!!

I've just come back from Berlin but was to sick to enjoy it.....

1€ Beer + 1€ Bradwurst = WIN
    jester77 wrote: »
    Some of us live in places where the pubs are open all night, public transport runs all night and beers can be gotten for as little as €1.50 - €2.00 in some of the pubs :D

I like the way your friend thinks....
    DubLass wrote: »
    The best one Ive ever seen was when my friend brought a big wrapped pressie into a 40th party we were at in a hotel, the pressie contained 12 bottles of miller for herself for the evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

DubLass wrote: »

HA NOW THATS GOOD.

A friend and i only had 20euro each so we drank at home, had a bottle of aldi vodka (9e for a shoulder but its 22% alcohol) and poured them into the small aldi juice bottles and brought them to the club with us

Was a good night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Sútalún wrote: »

ya, evidently... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Cherryvega wrote:
    Exactly. Or if there's a door charge, they have drinks promotions
    Id love to know where you go out cause I dont see that! Sure free in sometimes but drinks promotions when there is a cover charge, not where im from!

Advertisement