Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing baby formula to cold boiled wafer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Irony of irony's folks. I came home today to find the steriliser busted. The boiling plate corroded enough for water to get down below and fried the electrics.

Maybe i'll start a thread on winning the lotto and see what happens on Saturday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a microwave steriliser for that exact reason... happened to a friend of mine.

OT, I sterilise the bottles in the microwave, then boil the kettle, let it cool for 30 minutes, pour the water into the bottles and leave them in the press till needed. Room temperature bottles for my LO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

The purpose of boiling the water is to kill any harmful microorganisms. The longer you leave the water exposed to the air the more bacteria will gather. Leave it for no more then 30min. Once the bottle is made up and closed with a lid it is sterile and should be refridgerated to, again, prevent any bacteria from building up.

Personally I only ever left the water in the bottle for about 20min. My two are fine and never had a problem with tummy upsets or diarrohea, which is what you would expect from a contaminated bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

in my humble opinion i feel when baby is really small bottles should be 100% sterile and feed made up on demand. I was totally ott with my first baby but reckon i will cool off a bit with number 2. once they are crawling you could power hose them and it wont make a difference - with the amount of germs they are putting in there. Each to their own - i did wonder about the dishwasher but stuck with the sterilizer. See i have one baby and think i know it all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Its mad how we are all different, but sure none of the babies seem to suffer for it! :)
    Anyway I sterlised bottles until my son was about 6 months old. I make up his bottles with fresh boiled water, 2 at a time and store them in the fridge. To heat them I heat them in the microwave and give them a good shake. Now when I say freshly boiled water..........There has been the odd time when tap water was heated in the microwave and I just added the formula..........bad bad mammy but with a hungry cranky baby! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

My third child, 9-month old first girl, keeps picking stuff from the floor and putting it into her mouth. God knows what she must have swollen by now. So we try to keep the floors clean as much as we can, but with two older boys around it is very likely she will always find something.

If that isn't doing much harm to her, I guess sterilising bottles can be called a bit OTT at this stage though we still do it most of the time. It is like ordering mineral water and putting in ice from tap water. :p

At the crèche they say she is built like a tank.

For the three kids we always served the bottles at room temperature, mixed with cold pre-boiled water. Never had any problems with colics either, with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

the germs which a baby/toddler would pick up from the floor are different to the germs which could potentially be life threatening from unsteralised milk or milk prouducts. boiling the water kills the germs in water and the boiling water will also kill off the potential germs in the dried powder milk. While its never done any harm to your children (thank god) there are young babies out there who need every help they can get to ensure they grow up healthy. The recommended methods of making up powdered formula are set by the WHO for good reason. There was case in US in recent years where babies did suffer terrible digestive problems due to bottles made up by the hospital were made with cold water. Seeing as one can never tell which baby will have a weaker immume system to another, the recommendations are there for a reason. Whether a baby takes the bottle cold or warmed up afterwards is immaterial and down to choice of the baby, but they should never be made up with cold water and once made up, should always be chilled immediately. Its the same as keeping milk warm in a flask - its not recommended. Its a perfect breeding ground for germs.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

really interesting reading that some ppl would make the bottles with tap water..............

when i had my first child i bathed him in bottled water:o............

first time mammies eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Coralcathy thats incredible! How did you heat it for a bath? You must think Im really bad!;) ........Which reminds me that I left him out in the back garden somewhere.........this morning. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

OP
    Yes raised three with that method with no problems whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

oh well wrote: »
    ...boiling the water kills the germs in water and the boiling water will also kill off the potential germs in the dried powder milk....

Surely if you follow the instructions and have the water cool down for 30 minutes it won't be hot enough to kill any germs. I would wonder if good stuff also gets killed if boiling water is used directly.

Advertisement