Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for freeware to password protect a page

Options
  • 28-01-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of you know of any freeware that you can use to password protect a web page. I have several pages to protect and they all need to have different passwords. I dont really want something where have to embed code on the page, I would prefer something that intercepts the request if you get me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

No idea about IIS, but if you are using Apache, the easiest way is with .htaccess. Basic tutorial here.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Blowfish wrote: »
    No idea about IIS, but if you are using Apache, the easiest way is with .htaccess. Basic tutorial here.
    .htaccess is indeed the simplest way to go if you're hosting using apache (generally on an linux host). If it's windows, you may need to look at Roles & Membership (or is it Roles & Authorisation...I forget), although the host may allow you to password protect folders through the file manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

On windows you can restrict access to an area on your site or a particular page using the IIS mmc console snapin.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

ok so the site is hosted by godaddy, haven't a clue what that means. I have used the 1coolpasswordtool trial and that worked really well but thats not freeware. Do you know of anything like that that is freeware?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

generally web hosts provide a control panel which will allow you to control access to different part of you site, if you dont have access to do this then bang off a mail to your host and the'll do it for you, you shouldnt have to use 3rd party tools to password protect a page

• Advertisement
Advertisement