Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus NTL in Balbriggan

Options
  • 28-01-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I got a leaflet in yesterday from this crowd and comparing them to Sky & Esat they appear to be coming in a lot cheaper. I use the broadband fairly heavily, so don't want to get a crap connection from them.

Just wondering does anyone else have them and what are they like, by the about 40 euro.

Opinions on a postcard...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigjez

Yeah i got that to. Interested to find out as Eircom and Sky are raping me. I called up and was told that I could get 10mb broadband for around the same price. Has to be better than the 2 with Eircom. The woman did try to sell me the 20mb saying if I played xboxlive 10 might not be enough. I've never had problems with my 2mb Eircom connection so that was alittle cause for concern

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They have being laying fibre in "Lego Land" for the past few weeks.
    Usually the service is good but their customer service can be hardto deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Moonbeam wrote: »

Customer service is non existent a lot of the time. We have tv and broadband with them and the service has been fine (we're in the city centre at the moment) but getting it in was difficult! We found a scathing email to someone high up did the trick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

From personal experience I would not recommend them, would go so far as to say I would not touch them with a ten foot bargepole. Major problems when I tried to close my account. Ended up threatened with debt recovery agency, when I reckoned they owed me money and out of pocket by 180 euro. Have cut my losses and walked away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

I was also interested in this as only using a crappy vodafone mobile broadband that the connection keeps knocking off every half hour or so on.

I rang them,its not available until March but jugding what others are saying i think i'll stay away!

Is there any other options for balbriggan without getting a phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think digiweb provide mobile broadband in Balbriggan. I know they had equipment on top of the hotel. I heard it being mentioned when the fire happened :o Haven't heard about reliability or anything though. Maybe someone else will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I think digiweb provide mobile broadband in Balbriggan. I know they had equipment on top of the hotel. I heard it being mentioned when the fire happened :o Haven't heard about reliability or anything though. Maybe someone else will know.

Digiweb is very fast and very reliable in Balbriggan in my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Chinafoot wrote: »
    It is brilliant.
    I had it on trial though it is not extremely mobile,worked here and in Swords.Coverage might be better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

If they have laid fibre in legoland , does this mean I won't have to have the abismal MMDS service anymore ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi all,

I got one of these triple-play flyers from NTL last week too and have a quick couple of questions (Columbo-style):

1. Has anyone signed up for this, and how easy is it to move from another ISP / Provider? (I have line rental / Broadband from BT) ... Any experiences? Good / Bad / Indifferent...
    Moonbeam wrote: »

2. Is it Fibre they have been laying, or were they laying cable? (Bit of a techy question, I know, but it could make a difference in the quality of the product you're signing up to)
    EDIT - May have found the answer to this here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58758693&postcount=45)

3. Also another long shot, but anyone know if there's any truth to these rumours? If there's an upgrade coming in the next few weeks then I'd be there in a flash.
    ... Although, If I've just tipped everyone off to that then the contention ratio will go through the roof and it won't be worth getting. D'oh! :)

Thanks all in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

liverbird wrote: »
    If they have laid fibre in legoland , does this mean I won't have to have the abismal MMDS service anymore ??

I phoned up yesterday to see how long more for up to have broadband and phone from them.(i live in an estate next to the garda barracks). The girl told me this whole area is mmds listed with no plans for upgrade. Could be the end of this year, or start of next. I enquired as to the work being done in legoland
    And she simply said that if that was them laying cable, it would not be improving my service.
    Ordering eircom on monday. Cant wait anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Gillo wrote: »
    I got a leaflet in yesterday from this crowd and comparing them to Sky & Esat they appear to be coming in a lot cheaper. I use the broadband fairly heavily, so don't want to get a crap connection from them.

Just wondering does anyone else have them and what are they like, by the about 40 euro.

Opinions on a postcard...

It's nice though in these harrowed recessional times that all the OP has to worry about is a broadband connection:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

^ what a ridiculous post

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I phoned up yesterday to see how long more for up to have broadband and phone from them.(i live in an estate next to the garda barracks). The girl told me this whole area is mmds listed with no plans for upgrade. Could be the end of this year, or start of next. I enquired as to the work being done in legoland
    And she simply said that if that was them laying cable, it would not be improving my service.
    Ordering eircom on monday. Cant wait anymore.

Thanks for that Jimdagym,
    I have changed to sky since, class , the difference in reception is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

but how was anyone in this thread supposed to know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

NTL are cheaper than Sky
    NTL broadband does not reach balbriggan (north end, bit futher than lego land - great saying. I always thought it looked like 'its a small world' water ride in euro disney). Am sick of getting their flyers for last year in the door
    Then their customer service tells me they cannot provide the service - grrrrrrrrr
    Eircom rape you for broadband and charges - also for their box on subscribing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

LouOB wrote: »
    Eircom rape you for broadband and charges - also for their box on subscribing

What box? You get a free wireless router when you sign up?
    And when i was signing up they were 4e dearer than perlico per month for the same package. I'd rather pay the extra and have eircom support.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Anyone know how they are progressing?

I live near Dunnes, and i know in another estate, less then 30 metres away they have cable NTL installed which provides phone, broadband, tv etc...

I'm just wondering, if they plan to install it on my estate, what do they have to do? Dig up the road? How will they pipe it into the homes?

On a side note, i was talk to a mate and he swears that a freind of his in swords has his tv, phone and broadband through an NTL ariel, is this possible? Sorry if i sound thick...this is all new to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

LaFleur wrote: »
    Anyone know how they are progressing?

I live near Dunnes, and i know in another estate, less then 30 metres away they have cable NTL installed which provides phone, broadband, tv etc...

I'm just wondering, if they plan to install it on my estate, what do they have to do? Dig up the road? How will they pipe it into the homes?

On a side note, i was talk to a mate and he swears that a freind of his in swords has his tv, phone and broadband through an NTL ariel, is this possible? Sorry if i sound thick...this is all new to me.

Hi,

I live in barons hall and got ntl broadband,phone and tv package about 2 months ago.
    The broadband is excellent...really fast and for once I can watch videos on youtube without it stopping every two seconds!

Check with NTL if its at your house,technicians called out to me about 6 months ago and told me it wasnt available at my house...then i noticed my next door neighbour getting it in and they called out again and it was there all along! Lazy gits first time hadn't checked down the shore outside for cables...

I pay about €60 pm for the lot and have free landline and national calls so its great for ringing take away :D

Advertisement