Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tadgh Kennelly To Quit AFL?

• 29-01-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

There are rumors circulating that Irishman Tadhg Kennelly is about to retire from AFL.

Real Footy Article

Without doubt his skill and speed will be sorely missed at the Swans but he has long since indicated that he was always going to return to Ireland to finish off his career playing GAA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If he does then I'll lose all respect for him. He signed a three year deal with the Swans and agreed to see it out before heading home. A stunt like this would be disgusting imo and he shouldn't show his face around those parts again.

A real kick in the bollox to a club that has looked after him since he was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

jesus lads he is from kerry..need I say more,the auld ego will carry him on a wave 4 a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If he does then I'll lose all respect for him. He signed a three year deal with the Swans and agreed to see it out before heading home. A stunt like this would be disgusting imo and he shouldn't show his face around those parts again.

A real kick in the bollox to a club that has looked after him since he was a teenager.

The Swans never gave him proper time to recover from the injuries he has been having. How many times has he dislocated his knee cap? If the Swans had any respect for the man they would have given him a suitable rehabilation time on the sidelines.

He has proved himself as a Swan but not honouring his contract would be a big kick in the b****ks to the Swans. Maybe he has had a look around the Swans squad in pre-season and believes they are going nowhere this season and wants out.

The man wants to go home and win Sam. All the best to him whatever he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

No respect lost here. He probably figured that (just like The Eagles to quote an earlier comment Xavi) it will be 6 or 7 years before they return to their former glory. I am sure he will be a local hero when he gets back though.

The Swans never gave him proper time to recover from the injuries he has been having. How many times has he dislocated his knee cap? If the Swans had any respect for the man they would have given him a suitable rehabilation time on the sidelines.

Twice AFAIK.

Do you really think a professional team would force a guy back from such an injury? Seriously?
    He has proved himself as a Swan but not honouring his contract would be a big kick in the b****ks to the Swans. Maybe he has had a look around the Swans squad in pre-season and believes they are going nowhere this season and wants out.

The man wants to go home and win Sam. All the best to him whatever he does.

Yes he wants to go home but he's also meant to be a professional, and that means honouring your contract (a contract agreed on his terms btw). 'Retiring' is a joke of an excuse as he's just going off to play a similar sport!

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say and whether he cites injury as a factor or whether himself and Paul Roos came to some agreement to release him early from his contract. Or even if he is just past playing at a such a high level sport and wants to be 'king of the hill' back in Ireland.

dSTAR wrote: »
    No respect lost here. He probably figured that (just like The Eagles to quote an earlier comment Xavi) it will be 6 or 7 years before they return to their former glory. I am sure he will be a local hero when he gets back though.

I don't think the Swans are comparable to the Eagles.

Hall still has a good year in him, as does a fully fit Mickey O'Loughlin, and Adam Goodes is in his prime. They have all their talismen for at least the next year or two (Leo Barry has re-signed as well I think) so they aren't finished like the Eagles were.

I don't think the Swans are comparable to the Eagles.
    But they didn't really look like finalist material last season. It is probably a bit premature to make predictions about this coming season. Most pundits last year would have agreed that Geelong were unbeatable so its a bit of a tough call.

Twice AFAIK.

Do you really think a professional team would force a guy back from such an injury? Seriously?

I thought it was more, anyway since Kennelly was crucial for the Swans in their efforts for a top 8 finish last year then yes I would think a professional team would (wrongly of course) bring a player back from injury early to ensure a top 8 finish.

Yes he wants to go home but he's also meant to be a professional, and that means honouring your contract (a contract agreed on his terms btw). 'Retiring' is a joke of an excuse as he's just going off to play a similar sport!

Is he really going to use the word 'retiring' though? AFL just like any other sport will have to get used to contracts not being worth the paper they are printed on. Anyway that would be nothing new for the AFL, see Fosdike and Neitz.

Is he really going to use the word 'retiring' though? AFL just like any other sport will have to get used to contracts not being worth the paper they are printed on. Anyway that would be nothing new for the AFL, see Fosdike and Neitz.

But Neitz and Fosdike are actually giving up playing, not feckin off to another sport like Kennelly!

• Advertisement

Well it's confirmed -

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=734844
    Swans star Kennelly quits AFL

16:08 AEST Thu Jan 29 2009

Sydney defender Tadhg Kennelly has confirmed his retirement from the AFL.

Kennelly made the decision to end his contract with the Swans on Thursday and plans to return to Ireland for family reasons.

The 27-year-old said he had reservations whether his body would hold up for another AFL season, and decided not to risk injury, which would stop him from fulfilling a dream to play in an All-Ireland final.

The fleet-footed Kennelly is a big loss to the Swans after helping them to their premiership win in 2005 and to the finals for the last six years since his debut in 2001.

Swans coach Paul Roos said Kennelly had the full support of the club and that they respect and accept his decision to return to Ireland.

"As a club we knew Tadhg was going to go at the end of this season and we accepted that and we're respectful of Tadhg's decision," Roos said.

"Based on the last two years and Tadhg's genuine concern for his body, the injury problems he has had with his groins, shoulders and knees, it has fast-tracked that decision by six months.

"We have always known that family commitments back home and also a burning desire to play for his county Kerry and follow in the footsteps of his late father Tim Kennelly, would one day take him back."

Kennelly broke the news to his teammates on Thursday morning and said it was one of the hardest things he has had to do.

"I want to go back home, to be with my family and to be fit enough to still play back at home," Kennelly said.

"It has been on my mind and making this decision is on par with me coming out here in the first place, it is a risk.

"It has been a great ten years at the Sydney Swans and I want to thank everyone who has been involved in my career out here.

"I remember how excited I was to play my first game. To have achieved what I have, to have won a premiership with the best bunch of blokes, has just been amazing.

"But I am hanging up the AFL boots and going back to be with my family."

Kennelly was a top junior Gaelic footballer in Ireland before being brought to the Swans in November 1999.

He was elevated from the rookie list after round two in 2001 and made his debut later that season in round 14 against Carlton.

He leaves the Swans as a life member with a number of International Rules caps, 158 AFL games and 29 goals next to his name.

Disgraceful imo

Disgraceful imo
    Thanks for the update. With his growing list of injuries it was probably a good time to pull out before a more serious injury ended his career altogether. I know what you are saying about the Swans as a club being good to him but it seems his heart is set on playing for Kerry before its too late so I say fair call. Even still I will be sorry to see him go. He may not have received a Brownlow medal like fellow Irishman Jim Stynes but I am sure he will be remembered as an excellent player nonetheless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I dont get the anger xavi. Why is it disgraceful? Plenty of people finish their sports career early if they are afraid of being serioulsy injured in the long run. And while Gaelic football may be similar, you know full well that they arent comparable in the injuries that you can sustain by playing them. Kennelly was riddled with injury for the last 2 years. He took to games last year when he shouldnt have, games where his shoulder was hanging off him and getting doctors to put it back in. No one wants that. He only played 13 games the year before too. Regardless of where he is going or what he is doing, injuries were taking a toll on him, and while he may have played a part somewhat this year, it was unlikely to be much

He will come back and play far far less games here than he would be doing in Sydney, so it will be a lot less pressure on him. And to be honest, it seems as if he never got back into the flow of things after his father died and he always wanted to be going home again. And thats the thing. He wants to go home. You cant argue when a person, not a contracted player, wants that. He has his mother who is at the latter stage of life, and lots of brothers and sisters at home. Its not easy for some to overcome that, and he has always had that at the back of his mind.

In fairness, he owes the Swans nothing either. He spent 10 years out there and they took a punt on him. It worked out brilliantly, and he did far more for them than they did for him. If it wasnt for Kennelly, you could argue that there would be no other Irish out there now either. If he wasnt as succesful as he was, would other clubs have taken shots on O'hailpin, Begley, Clarke etc?

Fair play to Kennelly for making the mark that he did out there. He was an excellent player for the Swans and will be a loss. But to call him disgraceful and say you'd lose all respect for him? Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jesus christ Xavi, don't hold back on the aul vitriol there.

It's not as if the swans have to pay him or anything.

Why he would leave Sydney to come home and play bogball is a completely different matter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

As a Kerryman I'm delighted- the reason teams were coming back at Kerry is they were lacking stamina aroun the middle of the field as Darragh is what- 32 now. Tadgh is 27 and his job has been physical conditioning and professional sport for several years. I'm sure he'll slot into midfield with Darragh O'Shea. Kerry are going to be very hard to beat with him as a target man in the middle of the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

neil,why is it disgraceful? ive known him since he was 12/13 and his ambitions have always been clear - all ireland medals are in his blood and now he has the chance. he is 27 and entering the twighlight of his career.

he has spent 9 years down there and now its time to go home. he has giving it everything and taken this to a new level for irish involvement down there.

his role down their has been fantastic and fair play to him. looking forward to seeing him in the kerry jersey.

i spoke a family member a few weeks ago and they basically told me that this was happening so no surprise.

As expected a lot of support for Tadhg but I simply don't agree.
    bruschi wrote: »
    In fairness, he owes the Swans nothing either.

Yes he does - he owes them another year of a contract that was agreed on HIS terms. Sydney had no problem with him coming home and it was Tadhg who said he would do it after the 2009 season.

You can wheel all the emotional family stuff you want but the fact is he is a professional athlete contracted to do a job. To go and 'retire' from one sport to go play another is disgraceful.

Will he be training 3 or 4 times a week for Kerry like all the other players or will he be given special dispensation due to these injuries? If it's the former then he clearly can't be in too bad shape.

I'm sorry but the manner in which he is going about it is highly unprofessional and it doesn't sit well with me.

I'm sorry but the manner in which he is going about it is highly unprofessional and it doesn't sit well with me.
    Fair enough point.

Silly question. Do you think that he has earned enough money in his career as an AFL player to keep him going for a while or will he have to resort to pulling pints in the local bar and playing as a part-timer as is the way for a lot of blokes in the GAA?

Fair enough point.

Silly question. Do you think that he has earned enough money in his career as an AFL player to keep him going for a while or will he have to resort to pulling pints in the local bar and playing as a part-timer as is the way for a lot of blokes in the GAA?

rofl.

How naive are you?

You can rest assured that poor little Tadgh will be adequately "compensated" for coming home and playing for Kerry.

More than adequately.

Des wrote: »
    rofl.

How naive are you?

You can rest assured that poor little Tadgh will be adequately "compensated" for coming home and playing for Kerry.

More than adequately.
    I am not talking free pints down the local boozer or a bag of free chips in the chippy next door or even the odd 'gift' here and there. I am talking about the kind of lifestyle he would've been accustomed to in Sydney with guest appearances on The Footy Show and Before the Game and a pretty ritzy lifestyle all around.

• Advertisement

rofl.

How naive are you?

More than adequately.

your the naive one desmond, he wont get one penny from kerry county board for coming home and that is a fact. what he will do, is be well looked after in getting a decent job, but that wont have anything to do with the county board.

he has been studying out there and iifc, he is qualified to be a teacher, though im not 100% sure. my bet is that he will end up teaching in his local school in september. he will probably also get a coaching role of some sort and has set up his own scouting system for Aussie.

and he is not coming home to just play for kerry. he is coming home to be with his family and friends who he has grown up with. he was only 19 when he went over there and loves his hometown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Sad day for Sydney

Good luck to him though.... terrific servant to the club and a great ambassador for club and country

The breach of contract stuff is a bit trite - he has never made any secret of his intentions and this decision seems to have been reached in consultation with Roosy

Kingdom lure brings Kennelly back home

By Colm O'Connor
    TADHG KENNELLY last night confirmed he is to quit Australian Rules Football and return to Kerry next week.

The Listowel native, the only Irish man to win an AFL Premiership medal, informed Sydney Swans officials of his decision to prematurely end his contract before the end of the season at a meeting in the city yesterday.

However the 28-year-old has downplayed suggestions that he is set for a sensational return to Jack O’Connor’s county squad on his return.

He revealed last night: “Yes, I’m coming back home next week.

“I have been thinking about moving home a bit more for the last six months.

“It has been well documented that my body has been through a lot in the last couple of seasons with knee and shoulder problems and while I’ve been recovering, I’ve had more time to weigh things up.

“Those injuries have certainly speeded up the process. It was going to happen anyway — my contract was up at the end of the season. But I wanted to go home fit and well.”

He admitted: “Things have changed here as well in the club. Teams have success and then things levels off. I miss my family and friends and am now looking forward to going home.”

Kennelly, who played minor and U-21 with the Kingdom, has made no secret of his desire to return home and win a senior medal with the county.

But last night, he was keen to deflect the issue of an imminent return to the county colours, following reports he had met with Jack O’Connor.

“My only focus at the moment is to get back playing with Listowel Emmetts with my brother Noel and my uncle Mickey. They won the North Kerry championship final at the weekend so things are on a high.

“Regarding the county, whatever happens after that happens. Would I like to play for Kerry? Of course I would, what footballer from Kerry wouldn’t? But I don’t have any God-given right to walk into any squad.”

Kennelly, whose late father Tim and brother Noel won Celtic Crosses with Kerry, said the Swans supported his decision.

“It wasn’t a shock to anyone. I have always been up front with them here. The club know all the sacrifices I have made, coming out here as a teenager, moving away from my family and returning after my father died.

“They have always been very supportive since I came out here in 1999 and they understand my reasons for leaving.”

Though satisfied he has made the correct decision, Kennelly said he had a number of sleepless nights before making his mind up.

“I am walking away from an awful lot,” he continued.

“There’s the money side of things, there’s the life as a professional sportsman, the weather, the city life of Sydney, all the friends that I’ve made.

“But as long as you realise what’s important in life, everything falls into place. My heart was not in it here anymore.

“At the end of day I wanted to do what is in my heart.”

But he added: “Sydney has been wonderful for me. I’m not going to drop everything and forget everything and everyone I’ve encountered over the last 10 years. I’m still going to keep in touch with the people here.”

Kennelly is returning to a country suffering an economic downturn and admits that joining the workforce after a decade as a professional footballer will be a challenge.

“I haven’t thought that far ahead, I’m working on it,” he admitted.

“I’ve a BA from my time here and a few things going on. I will work on that side of things when I get home. But if there is anyone out there wanting to offer me a job, tell them to give me a call!”

However Kennelly revealed that he is involved on a project with both the GAA and AFL.

He explained: “For the last six months I’ve been involved in a kind of ambassador role between the two organisations.

“I was one of the lucky players to have travelled out to a club who did everything possible to make the transition as smooth and painless as possible on and off the field.

“But there are so many others who have been unlucky.

“I want to help show that there are pitfalls for young players travelling out to work with clubs and players to see how this can be addressed to the benefit of everyone.”

He also aims to put his AFL experience to good use in developing GAA at grassroots level.

“It is so professional. There are so many things I want to bring back to help make GAA more attractive to youngsters than say soccer or rugby. I learnt so much and can’t wait to put it into practice.”

His mother Nuala will collect him from the airport on Tuesday — but even she won’t believe in his return until he steps into the arrivals hall.

“It’s quite funny. She has heard it time and again that I’ve been home.

“When I told her I was coming home she was like ‘yeah okay’. I don’t think she believed me. But having talked to my friends she very excited.”

I am not talking free pints down the local boozer or a bag of free chips in the chippy next door or even the odd 'gift' here and there.
    neither am I ;)
    your the naive one desmond, he wont get one penny from kerry county board for coming home and that is a fact.

is that right Rafa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Tbh I can see Keneally's reasons, and despite the fact that he's 27 and should be in the prime of his athletic life, the reality is that he's fairly lucky to be in a position to retire from the game unforced.

The fact that he may return to play GAA is irrevelant. Whether he plays on with the local Junior B's, or leads Kerry to three-in-a-row All-Irelands, is of no consequence to the Swans or the AFL. The reality is that he's decided, probably due to a number of factors, to end his employment in Sydney. He's got the blessing of the Swans management, publicly anyway, and I'm sure everyone will agree that the last nine years have been greatly beneficial to both parties.

Xavi, you of all people should know that in professional sports there's very little loyalty, so berating Keneally for having the gall to terminate his contract for personal reasons is a little OTT. Sure, ideally, professionals on both sides of the spectrum would honour the contracts they've signed, but we know that professional sports are run as businesses and there's not much sentimentality left in any code. So, while it's rare that a player will willingly take the initiative and walk away from a job, especially at their peak age, it's just the same as a club or organisation terminating the player's contract because he's too expensive, doesn't fit into the club, or isn't part of the manager's plans. Personally I would actually applaud someone for making the tough decision to walk away from a position like this when there could be several more years left in the tank.

The average lifespan of an AFL player is somewhere around 4 years, and Keneally has had a great innings considering he's had a career over twice as long. Take a minute, and consider that he's quite lucky to be walking away from the game with a fairly high degree of fitness and what would appear to be no career-ending injuries. AFL is one of the toughest and most demanding sports in the world, and anyone who follows it know the high rate of attrition. It's quite possible that Keneally could've been totally burned out or even finished as an athlete after this season. He made a decision for himself, and sometimes it's OK to look after #1. He doesn't have to apologise to anyone at all for deciding to call it a day now, and whatever he does after a great AFL career is irrelevant.

If he was becoming an actor would there be as much furore!?;)

neither am I ;)
    Why are these things spoken about in hushed tones? I realize that there are obvious perks to being a player especially playing for a team that has won the All Ireland but it is not even close to what players earn in the AFL. The average earnings of an AFL player is approximately $217,900 + or around $2,000 per game. Without going off topic I think it is relevant to discuss the culture shock he will experience between what he was earning previously to not getting paid at all even if he is getting looked after by the GAA and local community. The debate on whether GAA players should be paid has been discussed ad nauseam but I still think it will be interesting to see how he fairs going from playing at a local level to being a well paid professional player and back to amateur level again by his own volition.
    ...my bet is that he will end up teaching in his local school in september. he will probably also get a coaching role of some sort and has set up his own scouting system for Aussie.
    Again a little bit of research on the average salaries for teachers in Ireland is between €28,000 and €56,000 at the higher end of the scale. Now you can call me naive but he would want to be getting a fair few perks from playing because this is a bit of a drop from the dizzying heights of AFL stardom. No doubt he will be the centre of attention when he gets back to Kerry and I am sure his every move will be monitored closely by the media as well.

juvenal wrote: »
    Tbh I can see Keneally's reasons, and despite the fact that he's 27 and should be in the prime of his athletic life, the reality is that he's fairly lucky to be in a position to retire from the game unforced.

But apparently it IS forced because of his injuries.
    The fact that he may return to play GAA is irrevelant. Whether he plays on with the local Junior B's, or leads Kerry to three-in-a-row All-Irelands, is of no consequence to the Swans or the AFL. The reality is that he's decided, probably due to a number of factors, to end his employment in Sydney. He's got the blessing of the Swans management, publicly anyway, and I'm sure everyone will agree that the last nine years have been greatly beneficial to both parties.

He made the initial agreement on his terms and has now gone back on it. Morally that's a pile of shit.

Xavi, you of all people should know that in professional sports there's very little loyalty, so berating Keneally for having the gall to terminate his contract for personal reasons is a little OTT. Sure, ideally, professionals on both sides of the spectrum would honour the contracts they've signed, but we know that professional sports are run as businesses and there's not much sentimentality left in any code. So, while it's rare that a player will willingly take the initiative and walk away from a job, especially at their peak age, it's just the same as a club or organisation terminating the player's contract because he's too expensive, doesn't fit into the club, or isn't part of the manager's plans.

Why? It's nothing personal against Kennelly. If we were in the soccer forum talking about X player I'd say the same thing. Contracts are there for a reason.
    Personally I would actually applaud someone for making the tough decision to walk away from a position like this when there could be several more years left in the tank.

You applaude unprofessionalism? Really? Because that's exactly what this is, whatever the reasons given.
    The average lifespan of an AFL player is somewhere around 4 years, and Keneally has had a great innings considering he's had a career over twice as long. Take a minute, and consider that he's quite lucky to be walking away from the game with a fairly high degree of fitness and what would appear to be no career-ending injuries. AFL is one of the toughest and most demanding sports in the world, and anyone who follows it know the high rate of attrition. It's quite possible that Keneally could've been totally burned out or even finished as an athlete after this season. He made a decision for himself, and sometimes it's OK to look after #1. He doesn't have to apologise to anyone at all for deciding to call it a day now, and whatever he does after a great AFL career is irrelevant.

4 years? Wtf?

So for every Shane Crawford or Robert Harvey there's a guy that only lasts 3 or 4 months in the game?

FFS if this wasn't Tadhg would there be such a staunch defence of his actions? I really doubt it. Sure I've already had a PM telling me what a tool I am and saying I should 'get a life'. It seems the green and gold spectacles are firmly on in this one.

It's not green and gold spectacles xavi. Could you imagine how it feels for Tadhg watching all-ireland finals down through the years seeing Kerry lads he grew up with winning and losing (more often winning) all-ireland finals. Some people don't understand the passion, the hunger and ecstasy of standing inf ront of the tri-colour on the third Sunday of September in front of 82,500 fans.

This is obviously what Tadhg is passionate about. His decision must be respected, the Swans don't bear any grudges against him so why should anyone else.

It's not green and gold spectacles xavi. Could you imagine how it feels for Tadhg watching all-ireland finals down through the years seeing Kerry lads he grew up with winning and losing (more often winning) all-ireland finals. Some people don't understand the passion, the hunger and ecstasy of standing inf ront of the tri-colour on the third Sunday of September in front of 82,500 fans.

Well then if that's what he wanted then he shouldn't have committed to the contract.

Or at the very least signed one year deals or even a rolling one. A three year contract is just that.
    This is obviously what Tadhg is passionate about. His decision must be respected, the Swans don't bear any grudges against him so why should anyone else.

No it doesn't have to be respected. If his contract was up then fair enough but it's not.

And how do you know the Swans don't bear a grudge? Just because they haven't said so publicly?

The fact is that Kennelly's decision has fucked them over as they now have an open spot on their roster which they cannot fill as all signing deadlines have passed. He didn't even do the decent thing and announce this decision before the AFL draft so the club could cover themselves. Another slap in the face.

• Advertisement

Some very valid points Xavi. You will be back in Dublin next week wont you? Why don't you put your journalistic skills to use and write an article and submit it to the sports editor in The Independent or Irish Times while you are there? This could potentially have negative repercussions for some of the Irish lads coming through. I expect to read your article shortly ;)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :confused:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not :confused:
    No man I am being deadly serious. You raise some very good points and you write well so why not? He will be treated as a national hero when he gets back so in the interest of balance I seriously think you should knock an article together.

Hmmm I might do.

Be interesting to see what the hacks at home have to say on it. Doesn't seem to be much online at the mo.

Hmmm I might do.

Be interesting to see what the hacks at home have to say on it. Doesn't seem to be much online at the mo.
    Get onto it I say. I have a friend who writes for The Irish Independent. I can ask her if she can word up the Sports Editor and see if he can run something from you.

Well if I had some sort of idea if a piece like that would be run then I'd do it but if not I won't as I'm busy with my own deadlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

A bit like this? 100k+ fans
    tadhgkennelly_wideweb__430x275.jpg
    http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/24/tadhgkennelly_wideweb__430x275.jpg
    I'm sure he knows

I was with Tadgh in '05 watching the AI final, just after he'd won the premiership, he was very good mates with the manager of the bar i worked in, and even then he was talking about dying to get back here to play and said he'd probably go with another contract and see how he felt, of course it was only his shoulder giving him grief then before the other injuries took extra toll on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

The internet tells me there were only six months remaining on his contract, perhaps someone can correct me by pointing to another source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Tristram wrote: »
    The internet tells me there were only six months remaining on his contract, perhaps someone can correct me by pointing to another source?

His contract was due to expire at the end of the 2009 season - so another eight months as the Bloods will be playing right through 'til September :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Setanta O'hAlpin has been suspended by Carlton for fighting with a team mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

You can wheel all the emotional family stuff you want but the fact is he is a professional athlete contracted to do a job. To go and 'retire' from one sport to go play another is disgraceful.
    quote]

Why cant someone retire from one profession to enter another if thats what they want? Contracts get terminated all the time by either of the parties - if both parties are happy to terminate the contract then why all the fuss? When people enter lengthy contracts circumstances change - as was the case here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement