Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United - The next Forest/Wednesday/Leeds?

• 29-01-2009 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

It's a really sad state of affairs at the Newcastle right now. The boardroom troubles are well publicised and results on the pitch haven't been good to say the least.

Tonight's game against City has seem them lose Owen (again) and Barton for possibly long periods of time. That, coupled with the rumoured exit of arguably one of the best keepers the Premiership has seen, could be a nail in the Toon's coffin.

The phrase 'too good to go down' is bandied around quite often with regards to clubs like Newcastle, City, Spurs etc but it has happened in the past. Big clubs do make the drop and quite often it's just the start of a slippy slide down the league placings.

Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United were all top 6 sides in the Premiership not so long ago, yet are now either struggling in the doldrems or are just getting back on their feet. It was only a decade ago that City were playing Division 2 football.

So what I'm wondering is between now and the end of the season what should Newcastle do? It looks like Ashley is there to stay and the transfer window deadline looms with the next few days. While not currently in the relegation zone, even the most diehard of Newcastle fan will admit that there's a spot there with their name on it right now.

How do Newcastle beat the drop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They rely on other teams being worse than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just thinking about the whole state of that club tonight. I'd hate to see them go down, I like the Geordies, good supporters and they have every right to be unhappy over the last while with the way things have gone.

I think they are going to struggle to stay up though, these latest injuries are disastrous. Rumours surrounding other players, I love the way you put it by the way, arguably one of the best ever keepers in the PL, when he is going to City if he leaves. I'm not disagreeing with the comments, its just that you couldn't help but add that in. hehe.

Anyways they still have some very good players there, and its not all done yet, I think Wise has to go, that might lift the supporters spirits a little for a start, it just all seems like doom and gloom at the moment. The centre of the park is a problem right now, afaik you've got Barton, Owen, Beye, Gonzalez, Martins, Viduka and a couple of others all out injured. Thats a serious list of really good players. While the loss of Shay Given, if it happens, would affect them, they do have Steve Harper, and I'd imagine it would free up some money to bring somebody in for midfield. Whats the story with Nicky Butt? I think he was only back from injury as well and he got a suspension, I might be wrong though.

But basically they need to get players back and fit or its gonna be a real struggle and a likely relegation imo.

I hope it does not come to that, I'd like to see them survive, and just survive and get rid of the owner and all his cronies and hopefully someone can come in and rebuild the club.

I was just thinking there about back in '98 or it could have been after that, but Newcastle were on the rich list of clubs around third or fourth iirc, behind Man Utd, and Real and maybe Arseanal. Its shocking to see the state they are in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Never fear we've just signed Kevin Nolan. The answer to all of our prayers. :rolleyes:

There's a serious lack of team harmony it would seem. I think this derby against Sunderland will be a defining moment for the club.

Advertisement