Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit Torrent Traffic Shaping Test and Results

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm curious why, you've only registerred and your first post is this, is this research for a project as a student or as a company?

I'll give this say 24hrs to get back to me before I delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LibraMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bingowing

No need to be paranoid.

Its a legitamite question that I asked breaking no laws.

I'm curious about it and so are alot of other people to who want to have full internet access, and that includes bit torrent ,so an idea of who is traffic shaping is useful.

This question has nothing to do with any company or research.

And what is wrong with this question? How is it different from people posting their ISP's speed , ping or routing?

Thanks

PS Here are some more general tests testing your connection

http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools.html

LibraMan wrote: »

I wonder are silicone republic watching boards.ie for stories or coincidence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In fairness you should run this other M-Labs tool as well

http://ndt.switch.ch/

and paste in both results

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bingowing wrote: »

I'm curious about it and so are alot of other people to who want to have full internet access, and that includes bit torrent ,so an idea of who is traffic shaping is useful.

This question has nothing to do with any company or research.

Fair enough :)

ISP: EIRCOM 7.6Mb Business Starter DSL:

RESULTS
    --->

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is manipulating BitTorrent traffic

Results for your host (-dynamic.b-ras2.mvw.galway.eircom.net - ):

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

square.pngThe BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
    square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved minimal 361 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 417 Kbps. You can find details here.
    square.pngThe BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
    square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 3956 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 4192 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

square.pngThe BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
    square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 399 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 415 Kbps. You can find details here.
    square.pngThe BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
    square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 3653 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 3879 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 3956 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 3653 Kbps. You can find details here.
    square.pngThere's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 361 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 399 Kbps. You can find details here.

For details on our research on broadband networks please refer to our network transparency project webpage
    In case you have questions about this tool or our research, please contact us: email.png

Advertisement