Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The mythbusters thread

• 29-01-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

So what are the popular opinions of many people that can be easily busted with a bit of research.

I'll start with Benitez and the rotation policy. This seems to be the main thing mentioned to cirticise Benitez by pundits, fans etc when Alex Ferguson statistically rotates more than Benitez. Fact!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Unearthly wrote: »
    So what are the popular opinions of many people that can be easily busted with a bit of research.

I'll start with Benitez and the rotation policy. This seems to be the main thing mentioned to cirticise Benitez by pundits, fans etc when Alex Ferguson statistically rotates more than Benitez. Fact!

check the Fact - last time I saw an analysis of this was that a lot of Fergies changes were either injury enforced or happened in the run in whereas Beitez chopped and changed though out the season and they were not enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

There is always a myth going round that the German team wear a green away strip because Ireland were the first to play them after the war

It's all B*ll*x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is always a myth going round that the German team wear a green away strip because Ireland were the first to play them after the war

It's all B*ll*x

the link you give seems to say Ireland are the reason Germany have a green away strip, so it is not a busted myth...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

It's all B*ll*x

I've heard the story alright. But that link doesn't disagree with that? Why is the German strip green?

the link you give seems to say Ireland are the reason Germany have a green away strip, so it is not a busted myth...:confused:

Actually your right, I saw that on the info a few years back and it said that real reason for the green was because green was the traditional color of the region that Bonn (the capital of West Germany) was in.

Obviously they have updated or changed the page since and left that part out, I'll do more research.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

quad_red wrote: »
    I've heard the story alright. But that link doesn't disagree with that? Why is the German strip green?

The Royal Colours of the House Of Saxon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ferguson has a much more logical approach to rotation. i.e. he does it when players need a rest, not when your 20million striker has just scored a confidence-boosting brace.

Actually your right, I saw that on the info a few years back and it said that real reason for the green was because green was the traditional color of the region that Bonn (the capital of West Germany) was in.

Obviously they have updated or changed the page since and left that part out, I'll do more research.....

Ok here I think is the Irish myth de-bunked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/10/euro2008
    KNOWLEDGE ARCHIVE

"Thanks for your explanation of why the Italian kit is blue. Can anyone then explain why the German away strip is green?" asked Clayton Fossett way back in 2000, and long before the German side rocked up to Euro 2008 with their red and black affair.

Back in 2000 we replied:

All of you agree that it dates back to a friendly between Ireland and Germany shortly after the second world war.

As Enda Kelly tells it: "After world war two, the Republic of Ireland was the first country to play Germany. Naturally the teams changed shirts after the match. One version of the story says that the Germans were so poor (I hasten to add financially, just in case there's any confusion with the present team), that they could not afford an away strip for their next match, and thus used the Irish shirts with the crest replaced. Thus began the tradition."

The second version, which Enda thinks is more likely - and is supported by everyone else - is that Germany was a bit of a pariah nation at the time, "and to show their gratitude to the Irish for bringing them back into the international football scene they chose green as their away strip".

But we were wrong: as Gareth Farr, among others, emailed to explain. "Germany play in white and green because these are the colours of the Deutscher Fußball-Bund, their equivalent of the English FA," he writes. "Their logo is green and white to symbolise the colours of a football pitch. Also Ireland weren't the 1st team to play Germany after the war ... it was infact the Swiss."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kida wrote: »
    check the Fact - last time I saw an analysis of this was that a lot of Fergies changes were either injury enforced or happened in the run in whereas Beitez chopped and changed though out the season and they were not enforced.
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    Ferguson has a much more logical approach to rotation. i.e. he does it when players need a rest, not when your 20million striker has just scored a confidence-boosting brace.

lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Short corners are a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

First I'm a United fan and I like the guy so lay off the attacks ;) but:

"Ronaldo is one of the best free kick taker's in the world."

If stats back that up I'll eat my hat (Please note hat is made of chocolate and is not very hat shaped).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea, cause there is nothing logical about resting a player 2 days after he played 90minutes a couple hundred miles away. poor robbie. :rolleyes: wat was Rafa thinking?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You'll win nothing with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

John O'Shea is not gay.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    First I'm a United fan and I like the guy so lay off the attacks ;) but:

"Ronaldo is one of the best free kick taker's in the world."

If stats back that up I'll eat my hat (Please note hat is made of chocolate and is not very hat shaped).

Watching one of the United games recently, and the commentator said something along the lines of the following when Ronnie stepped up to take a free kick: "Ronaldo will be looking to score, which more often than not is the outcome."

Even if he was the best in the world, the statement would still be completely false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Was Tevez not dropped after scoring 4 goals in a game?

A Carling Cup game. A second-rate competition.

why did you ignore my post? Too "logical" for you?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea, cause there is nothing logical about resting a player 2 days after he played 90minutes a couple hundred miles away. poor robbie. :rolleyes: wat was Rafa thinking?!

I never said there was nothing logical about it, I said Ferguson was more logicial. ;)

why did you ignore my post? Too "logical" for you?

I have done now. I'm sorry. :(

• Advertisement

i'm gonna take that response as you admitting you were talking ****e.

i'm gonna take that response as you admitting you were talking ****e.

If you feel you need to.

Bentiez wrote:

"I am disappointed with a number of things but no, the Wigan approach I will not talk about them," he added. "It has happened in the last three games. They have something in common I don't like. I know why but I cannot say anything."

The myth being that there is any other reason why Liverpool have faltered other than Bentiez' ridiculous rants. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ronaldo is the best player in the world:D

Busted

Mythbusters_Collection3.jpg

The myth being that there is any other reason why Liverpool have faltered other than Bentiez' ridiculous rants. :)

are you really picking on him cause of his poor English??

scraping the bottom on the barrell if so tbh.

are you really picking on him cause of his poor English??

scraping the bottom on the barrell if so tbh.

That's quote has nothing to do with poor English.

so wat is he talking about? I didnt see him talk last night so i genuinely dont know.

so wat is he talking about? I didnt see him talk last night so i genuinely dont know.

Well, he's bascially saying that the Wigan approach was negative in common with the previous two games. So what? You have to say to Stoke and Wigan, well done. Champions overcome negative approaches, don't blame weaker teams for playing for a point. Are you telling me that teams roll over for United and Chelsea?

if thats what he means, I'd imagine the quote you gave is in reference to him not being happy about his team being unable to break down a team playing for a point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh look, another Liverpool/Benitez/Keane bashing thread. :rolleyes:

Jesus, I knew before I even opened it that it would be full of Liverpool related nonsense that would quickly turn into a spat.

This place is really diving badly.

more "liverpool are shít nah-nah-nah-nah" crap lads.

it's getting real old real fast.

I don't know if I can put up with four more months of this bollix tbh.

Worse than children in a fúcking schoolyard at times.

and the liverpool heads rising to it?

pathetic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

A Carling Cup game. A second-rate competition.

This doesn't make sense to me. If it was illogical to drop Keane after a confidence boosting brace, surely it's even more illogical to drop Tevez (who was looking like a little lost lamb on the bench at the time) after scoring 4 goals in a game regardless of the competition.

People are very quick to compare Benitez handling of Keane with Fergusons of Berbatov, conveniently forgetting Tevez.

Second rate competition or not, 4 goals in a game isn't too common!

also wasnt the 4 goals against prem opposition?

logical indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yes lets not ruin every thread with Pool V Utd stuff.

Des wrote: »

pathetic as well.

Yea cause if this was a thread defending the FAI, or bashing the LOI, or Shels, or anything like that.....you'd keep your nose well out of it, wouldn't you? :)

• Advertisement

I have been doing, yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona can't defend.

Real Madrid need Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

newcastle are a big club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Ronaldo (The Legend) is fat because he's lazy, eats poorly and goes out drinking.
    Ronaldo was criticized for being overweight during his four and a half seasons with Real Madrid. He transferred to Milan in January.

Ronaldo's weight problem is due to a medical condition called hypothyroidism.

AC Milan has prescribed drugs to combat the Brazil striker's under-active thyroid, and advised the Italian Olympic Committee and the World Anti-Doping Association, the Gazzetta dello Sport reported Friday.

source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Of course Fergie rotates. e.g. the back 4 for the record breaking defense since Nasri's goal against United:

Arsenal: Neville(Rafael, 63)-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Stoke: O'Shea-Vidic-Evans-Evra
    Villa: O'Shea-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Man City: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Sunderland: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Spurs: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-O'Shea
    Stoke: Neville-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea(Berbatov, 64-Giggs moved LB)
    Boro: Rafael(Neville, 63)-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    Chelsea: Neville-Vidic-Evans-Evra(O'Shea, 66)
    Wigan: Rafael-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    Bolton: Neville-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    West Brom: Neville(Eckersley, 70)-Rio(Brown, 70)-Vidic-O'Shea

In terms of minutes played
    VDS: 1032
    Vidic: 1032
    O'Shea: 718
    Evans: 540
    Rio: 472
    Evra: 468
    Rafael: 450
    Neville: 382
    Giggs: 26
    Brown: 20
    Eckersley: 20

Except for Man City-Sunderland, the back 4 has changed every game. In all, 10 different players played in the back 4.

The difference between Fergie and Rafa is that Fergie has a number of core players he always plays in league games no matter the opposition when available e.g. Vidic, Rooney, Ronaldo. I've seen Rafa "rotate" Gerrard in and out. Why would you do that with your best player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, the problem imo isn't that Rafa rotates. You have to rotate.

It's that Rafa rotates badly in the wrong positions at the wrong times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Celtic aren't an Irish club

PHB wrote: »
    It's that Rafa rotates badly in the wrong positions at the wrong times.

thats bollox.

truth is that since Rafa has been at Liverpool, Utd have had a better team than us....thats why we drop more points, difference is the media just likes to blame rotation, ignoring the fact we drop points when we dont rotate too.

& whoever spouted ****e about Gerrard being rotated, name the match that happened? against real poor opposition he may be rested (very very rarely) but every manager does that.

Rafa always stick with the spine of his team Reina/Carra/Gerrard/Alonso/Torres/Skrtel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

thats bollox.

truth is that since Rafa has been at Liverpool, Utd have had a better team than us....thats why we drop more points, difference is the media just likes to blame rotation, ignoring the fact we drop points when we dont rotate too.

& whoever spouted ****e about Gerrard being rotated, name the match that happened? against real poor opposition he may be rested (very very rarely) but every manager does that.

Rafa always stick with the spine of his team Reina/Carra/Gerrard/Alonso/Torres/Skrtel

Considering he was about to sell Alonso shoots a fairly substantial hole in the argument that he values the spine of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

pathetic as well.

That is exactly the reason why I hardly post on here anymore, its bad enough the people doing it but when the Liverpool fans react to it it really is just a facepalm moment.

FatherTed wrote: »
    Of course Fergie rotates. e.g. the back 4 for the record breaking defense since Nasri's goal against United:

Arsenal: Neville(Rafael, 63)-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Stoke: O'Shea-Vidic-Evans-Evra
    Villa: O'Shea-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Man City: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Sunderland: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    Spurs: Rafael-Rio-Vidic-O'Shea
    Stoke: Neville-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea(Berbatov, 64-Giggs moved LB)
    Boro: Rafael(Neville, 63)-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    Chelsea: Neville-Vidic-Evans-Evra(O'Shea, 66)
    Wigan: Rafael-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    Bolton: Neville-Vidic-Evans-O'Shea
    West Brom: Neville(Eckersley, 70)-Rio(Brown, 70)-Vidic-O'Shea

In terms of minutes played
    VDS: 1032
    Vidic: 1032
    O'Shea: 718
    Evans: 540
    Rio: 472
    Evra: 468
    Rafael: 450
    Neville: 382
    Giggs: 26
    Brown: 20
    Eckersley: 20

Except for Man City-Sunderland, the back 4 has changed every game. In all, 10 different players played in the back 4.

The difference between Fergie and Rafa is that Fergie has a number of core players he always plays in league games no matter the opposition when available e.g. Vidic, Rooney, Ronaldo. I've seen Rafa "rotate" Gerrard in and out. Why would you do that with your best player?

Rio - injured for most of them.
    Evra - suspended and injured for most of them.
    Brown - injured for basically all of them.
    Raf - injured for some of them.
    Fabio - only coming back from injury, got injured again.
    Evans - got injured towards the end of the run.

Most of the changes were forced. the only voluntary ones were at right back, where fergie is trying to blood Rafael and keep Neville fit given his game and injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

more "liverpool are shít nah-nah-nah-nah" crap lads.

it's getting real old real fast.

I don't know if I can put up with four more months of this bollix tbh.

Worse than children in a fúcking schoolyard at times.

pathetic as well.

That's what makes it so much fun :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Rafa has cracked badly. That's it, end of liverpool discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Manchester United are not a feeder club for Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Why do we spend so much time talking about Rafa and what he has done. you would think we are all a big bunch of Pools supporters ! I support United and dont give a flying hoot what Rafa says, does, has done or will do. If you wanna talk about Rafa then Fuvk off to the Pool thread end of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement