Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Whether that snow turns to sleet later is uncertain, and how much snow and if it will stick is not quite certain on Monday either, but there'll be exclusively snow showers, for Dublin and many other places, over the course of Monday;)

Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

i sense 27th feb 2001 in the air! we have to pray that the low doesn't move over to ireland too soon or then it will be sleet at lower levels...here's the chart of the last major snowfall in dublin!

Rtavn00220010227.png

Ok, most websites (Accuweather, CNN, Irish Times etc) are all pointing to snowfall for Dublin on Monday :)

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Is Sunday out of the question now?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

patneve wrote: »
    i sense 27th feb 2001 in the air! we have to pray that the low doesn't move over to ireland too soon or then it will be sleet at lower levels...here's the chart of the last major snowfall in dublin!

Rtavn00220010227.png
    Wow, almost identical to 2nd of Feb only the rings are a bit tighter in the 2001 chart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Is Sunday out of the question now?

Sunday is a bit early, it'll be after midnight into the early hours of Monday before the first showers start crop up along the East coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Is there even a remote chance of a few flakes of wintery goodness in Galway next week??

Lads forget about online sites like cnn accuweather and the BBC-they are all computer generated with no human input and they are all a tad out of date.

Weather forecasts in this set up need human forecaster input.

So listen to the radio forecasts on RTE-the ones the met do and not the ones you hear on 2fm or on local stations and watch the 630 and 930 pm tv forecasts and of course read here ;)

The stupidest forecast on TV actually are the morning ones on Ireland AM on TV3-they are so unreliable.

If you want a laugh watch the person in their garden doing them on monday morning talking about sleet when all around him is white [hopefully].

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cracking UKM, could be alot of snow on the Ground across much of Ireland early next week.

I'd say up in the Wicklow Mtns there will be an even foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I keep coming in here to read the posts and am like a big kid. I am terrified that the snow won't happen. It's like waiting for Christmas and you are afraid Santa won't bring what you asked for. lol. Daft or what????

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow......... PLEASE!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Fionagus wrote: »
    Is there even a remote chance of a few flakes of wintery goodness in Galway next week??

If it were to happen then it would happen around Thursday, but that end of the week is up in the air at the moment. You might see a few flakes then but it's really too early to tell and the latest signs are not too good for the second half of the week, but that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Well looking at Wednesday and Thursday charts although a good bit away yet shows the winds veering northerly with more cold air coming across from Scandi

090131_0000_144.png

All in all this could be the best week for snow potential we have had in many many years:D

Lads forget about online sites like cnn accuweather and the BBC-they are all computer generated with no human input and they are all a tad out of date.

Weather forecasts in this set up need human forecaster input.

So listen to the radio forecasts on RTE-the ones the met do and not the ones you hear on 2fm or on local stations and watch the 630 and 930 pm tv forecasts and of course read here ;)

The stupidest forecast on TV actually are the morning ones on Ireland AM on TV3-they are so unreliable.

If you want a laugh watch the person in their garden doing them on monday morning talking about sleet when all around him is white [hopefully].

Thanks Black Briar

You are 100% right regarding TV3 - ridiculous weather forecasts
    I have often seen Martin King forecast +2oC for Dublin when in fact the temperature would fall to -3oC

They are so way out its unbelievable! :)

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Lady_North wrote: »
    I keep coming in here to read the posts and am like a big kid. I am terrified that the snow won't happen. It's like waiting for Christmas and you are afraid Santa won't bring what you asked for. lol. Daft or what????

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow......... PLEASE!!!!!!!

:D
    ME TOO ..

Thanks for all the in put guys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Any snow expected in the mid-lands, Tipp areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Are things looking better or worse as time goes by and are the charts getting better?:confused: so exciting!!:D Could all that precipitation on Monday night fall as Snow?

UKMO keeps it cold and brings in another big plunge of Baltic air from Wednesday :D:D
    Unbelievable stuff
    UW120-21.GIF

Any snow expected in the mid-lands, Tipp areas?

Well Monday/Tuesday it depends on how far the showers extend from the East. Later in the week you could have a second chance but thats up in the air right now.

UKMO keeps it cold and brings in another big plunge of Baltic air from Wednesday :D:D
    Unbelievable stuff

That's a cracker from the UKM there WC. Hope we see the same thing with the ECM.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The weather picture forum should be quite busy next week:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

If it were to happen then it would happen around Thursday, but that end of the week is up in the air at the moment. You might see a few flakes then but it's really too early to tell and the latest signs are not too good for the second half of the week, but that could change.

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with reading everyone elses posts about having inches of snow and feelin' really jealous yet again. Not fair!! :(

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with reading everyone elses posts about having inches of snow and feelin' really jealous yet again. Not fair!! :(

Don't get too disheartened

Let the week unfold - you might be surprised and get some snow

I am in Dublin which should bear the brunt of snow showers ; yet even at this stage it does not seem real !

So I still will not believe it until I see it!

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

in the same boat,
    but there is a long way to go yet - we could well see a northerly before the end of this month which will deliver to our side of the country. even this cold period may give us something if the gfs agency proves to be wrong about what happens from Tuesday onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

RTE weather just now are saying Tuesday before we see snow on the East coast,do you belive them!!!!!!!!!

holly1 wrote: »
    RTE weather just now are saying Tuesday before we see snow on the East coast,do you belive them!!!!!!!!!
    ignore that.
    Old output done by a weather presenter and not by a met eireann meteoroligist.

Watch the one just after the 6 news thats now on.That will be done by the met.

holly1 wrote: »

In short? No:D

Heavy snow showers through Sunday night/ Monday. God would ya just believe us!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

is the forecast on Metcheck or NetWeather any good, they both show a lot of rain on Tuesday? ;)

automated doyler and gfs based.
    No forecaster input so ignore them for now.

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    is the forecast on Metcheck or NetWeather any good, they both show a lot of rain on Tuesday? ;)

Metcheck is not the most reliable to be honest...

NetWeather is good for stuff like the datacentre, you can check snow charts based on the GFS runs there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

In short? No:D

Heavy snow showers through Sunday night/ Monday. God would ya just believe us!:D

I do! I do! I do! I do! I do! I do!(sing to abba,"Love me or leave me"):D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement