Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

I have been a long time viewer of this often optimistic thread. I have a 4 year old who has never seen snow on the ground whilst living on the foot hills of the Dublin mountains.

The fact is that the odds are stacked against any significant event particularly in Dublin. The issues of global warming (or cyclical change) and the insulation effect of a city all add an extra warming element that reduces the chance for any real snow event.

I recall 1981, I was off school for 2 weeks, my dad dug a trench from the front door to the road with the snow lying 3 feet in the drive in suburban Dublin. People queued for milk and bread and in the shops. Cars traveled together in groups on the road in case one had a breakdown.

I really would be delighted if I woke on Monday or Tuesday to a white out and the chance to use VPN to work from home but I am fearful of the usual crisp clear sunny day or the calming (and warming) influence of the Atlantic.

However if it occurs (and I hope it does) I will eat humble pie, but I am not optimistic TBH.

However I do recall with fondness a January in 1981, with 12 inch icicles hanging from the window ledge of upstairs windows, total disruption and I dont mean a 2 hour wait on the M50 but no one went to work and Milk trucks with chains on their tires.

I am hopeful but fear a letdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'll believe it when I see it - weather forecasting is the scientific equivalent of astrology :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Yeah i am not as optimistic as some people on here especially weathercheck because i am always left disapointed with these setups. Year after year cold spell after cold spell and even events which promise so much always are a let down.
    I really hope i am wrong but I just hope to see a few flakes in dublin city over the next few days but i dont expect anything to settle.:)

If we dont get snow at least somewhere in Ireland then we can never mention snow again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

maybe someone should get a "it wont snow it will most likely rain" thread going and then it will happen!

• Advertisement

mcloughl wrote: »
    I have been a long time viewer of this often optimistic thread. I have a 4 year old who has never seen snow on the ground whilst living on the foot hills of the Dublin mountains.

The fact is that the odds are stacked against any significant event particularly in Dublin. The issues of global warming (or cyclical change) and the insulation effect of a city all add an extra warming element that reduces the chance for any real snow event.
    This will be different.
    I recall 1981, I was off school for 2 weeks, my dad dug a trench from the front door to the road with the snow lying 3 feet in the drive in suburban Dublin. People queued for milk and bread and in the shops. Cars traveled together in groups on the road in case one had a breakdown.
    That was january '82 actually-those kind of episodes are once or twice in a lifetime affairs anyway.
    I really would be delighted if I woke on Monday or Tuesday to a white out and the chance to use VPN to work from home but I am fearful of the usual crisp clear sunny day or the calming (and warming) influence of the Atlantic.

However if it occurs (and I hope it does) I will eat humble pie, but I am not optimistic TBH.

However I do recall with fondness a January in 1981, with 12 inch icicles hanging from the window ledge of upstairs windows, total disruption and I dont mean a 2 hour wait on the M50 but no one went to work and Milk trucks with chains on their tires.

I am hopeful but fear a letdown.
    Again that was 1982 but there were plenty of snows in the 80's-that was the once in a lifetime biggest.You couldnt always be expecting that.
    Also In fairness theres nothing to fear.
    An Easterly with air from western Russia is nailed on definite from late sunday night.
    It has to snow on monday wherever anything falls out of the sky.
    Where it falls it will be heavy.

Tuesday will be tuesday que sera sera.

p.s I regard myself as being in the South east quarter so I like what MT cranium wrote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I just put on a non montery bet with a friend that there will be snow in donegal on tuesday or wednesday ,lol just for fun

By the way I've been observing MT craniums posts for a while and credit where credit is due but he has a very good forecast record so thats a good post he made on the last page there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

By the way I've been observing MT craniums posts for a while and credit where credit is due but he has a very good forecast record so thats a good post he made on the last page there.

so you really think we could could have the accumulations he mentioned(cos i hope so- i have never seen that much snow):D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

mcloughl wrote: »
    maybe someone should get a "it wont snow it will most likely rain" thread going and then it will happen!
    naw , this ones different imo ,fair play some of the lads on site have this one nailed 2 days ago , go find something that slides....:)

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    so you really think we could could have the accumulations he mentioned(cos i hope so- i have never seen that much snow):D
    I can only hope.
    The potential is there right through to next friday.
    We'll see.

Temp is dropping here already and the wind here is now due east.
    Air temp is 4.6c
    DP is 1.6c

Wind East northeast gusting to 18mph.

I expect lower temps in the morning that wont rise and hopefully an already sub zero dp.

Pangea wrote: »
    I just put on a non montery bet with a friend that there will be snow in donegal on tuesday or wednesday ,lol just for fun

lol , hope you have those frozen 'fat frogs' already in the freezer :D....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

kerry1960 wrote: »
    some of the lads on site have this one nailed 2 days ago

Actually, I had predicted this easterly cold snap on monday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't really know what to make of this chart for potential heavy snow on tues.could be more rain.
    PPVK89.png

j1979p wrote: »
    Actually, I had predicted this easterly cold snap on monday ;)

Yep, in fairness you did :eek::D, so im putting you on notice that i
    shall be consulting you on all GAA results and future LOTTO draws etc:)

relax only takin the pi55

now i know im goin a bit fi but this could be something to watch:D

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=76866

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

fi alright but wouldn't it be just the treat if that low to the north of us came right down!?:D that would make for some snow day:pac:

skynews weather says that ireland will prob not see much snow at all.have they gone completely mad or what?:confused:
    so my response to that is,just look at my monday rush hour pic haha:D

410DR_CC0004_001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Sky news must know something we don't! Latest forecast from Met Eireann is going for significant snowfall Monday night into Tuesday morning:
    Much of the country will start off dry on MONDAY NIGHT with clear spells. However wintry showers of rain, hail, sleet and snow will affect eastern parts of Leinster, Munster and Ulster. These wintry showers will gradually spread north-westwards to all areas overnight and on TUESDAY morning. They'll fall as snow in many areas with some significant accumulations likely. The rest of Tuesday and WEDNESDAY will bring further wintry showers along with fresh east to northeast winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It looks fierce this morning.

The liklyhood of snow coming from that feature is certainly increasing with any warmer air washed out very quickly. Possibility of some serious dumping of snow for many.

It all kicks off tonight with snow showers moving west onto the coast.

Now to find my camera:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

sneachta:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

redsunset wrote: »
    skynews weather says that ireland will prob not see much snow at all.have they gone completely mad or what?:confused:
    so my response to that is,just look at my monday rush hour pic haha:D

410DR_CC0004_001.jpg
    worse than that-the bbc news 24 graphic shows rain for tuesday in Ireland and sleet for tonight and tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

ah no! Is this a bit of a down grade then, going by what BBC & Sky are saying or showing? I hope there not right!:(

snowing now in central london-saw a reporter live on news 24 at the chinese embasy ther.
    good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

worse than that-the bbc news 24 graphic shows rain for tuesday in Ireland and sleet for tonight and tomorrow....

You is wrong!!

The reason it might look like rain is it changes in graphics on Tuesday from hi res to low res. It shows 'rain' everywhere.

And it does show snow tonight and tomorrow, dont know why im debating crappy graphics! But the speckles are blue over the Irish sea but as they touch land they go white! Have another look:pac:

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    ah no! Is this a bit of a down grade then, going by what BBC & Sky are saying or showing? I hope there not right!:(
    I think whats actually happening there is in the case of news 24 anyhow-they are not adjusting the graphics for here [human input] asthey are not obliged to forecast for here.
    It is actually so down to the wire- hard to be definitive about tuesday.

Tonight andtomorrowthough deffo snow.
    Tuesday probably.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/rart_frame.htm

do you think the precipitation chart above are any good? A lot of them show snow showers and unfortunately sleet for the east!

I suppose its really just a case of wait and see.. Ups & downs!

The last report on Sky looked pretty good for tomorrow! The south could get a lot on Tuesday

Ignore weather on line.
    It's another one of the computer generated ones.

dp's are already below zero here in the east and the real cold doesn't even come untill tonight :)

Stay tuned here and some of us will try our best to interpret things as best we can.
    We may be wrong but we will try to be as realistic as possible in our now casts.

Francis wilson is a pretty experienced forcaster and would be involved in the sky news forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

kerry1960 wrote: »
    dear god :eek:, your above the timberline mate :D ,is there yaks wandering
    about up there :rolleyes: ,only messin :rolleyes:

LOL - It sure does get cold up here!

This week will be a real litmus test of how bad the weather can actually be here. Lets see what happens!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement