Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Thanks BB. How can I keep track of the Dew point in Kilcock?

arctictree wrote: »
    LOL - It sure does get cold up here!

This week will be a real litmus test of how bad the weather can actually be here. Lets see what happens!
    hehe
    You'll be the envy of most on here I'd say :)

@doyler how far are you from newbridge ?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

Thats updated every 5 minutes.

Ideally dp must be below 0 but we'd like it to be below -1c for comfort.

That site will be your guide through tuesday when dp becomes really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

hehe
    You'll be the envy of most on here I'd say :)

@doyler how far are you from newbridge ?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

Thats updated every 5 minutes.

Ideally dp must be below 0 but we'd like it to be below -1c for comfort.

That site will be your guide through tuesday when dp becomes really important.

BB do we have anything like that for the Avoca or Wicklow area?

About 25 Miles. I'm about the same distance to Dublin city. Thanks for that. Being 25 miles away is it likely to be same here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I can't wait to watch the weekly forecast close to midday on BBC 1 tv on Countryfile, then an hour later the weekly farming forecast on RTE 1 TV :D:confused::D:confused::eek::D:confused:

• Advertisement

jay28 wrote: »
    yup

Mine for starters :D

www.arklowweather.com

updates every 5 minutes from a weather station in the field at the back of my house

And this one also from mine that updates every other 30 seconds or so

http://arklow.741.com/live.html

You can as a rule of thumb drop a degree off the temp for Conary jay-maybe more if you have deep snow cover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 6z with regards to the marginality for Monday night/ Tuesday snow event.

Has Dewpoints rising to 1 or 2c along the eastern coastal fringes from 4am to 10am before retreating back below 0c.

Places inland never get higher than 0 or 1c DP.

This is the GFS the most marginal model, but has to be looked at.

Would give a snow to sleet to snow event for here.

Although with the liklyhood of snowcover on the ground at the time temperatures may react different.

Potential for a signifigant amount of snow to fall in some areas, i'd say the likes of Kildare, could see a dumping. Might just compact the snow in the east.

Great job BB thanks for that.......I'll be keeping an eye on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I suggest keep an eye here. http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php
    3 stations in south Wicklow, all with reliable Dp reporting.
    Supercell's station in Annamoe,
    BB's inland of Arklow and my own in Ashford.

For your location I suggest you'll be slightly warmer than Annamoe but colder than both Arklow and Ashford. I'm low down a mile from sea and will be heavily influenced by the maritime air.

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    About 25 Miles. I'm about the same distance to Dublin city. Thanks for that. Being 25 miles away is it likely to be same here?
    How about Casement aerodrome in balldonnell?

the table in this list contains 5 minute updates.
    they will probably lag a bit behind but will give you an idea.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IDUBLIN2

• Advertisement

My dp is hitting a nice -1c now.

I think between that one and the one in New Bridge it will give me a good idea. Thanks again for you help, keep up the good work:D

BTW ground temperature were down to 3C at 5cm to 5C at 20cm this morning.
    Not too bad but I'd like to see them colder and they will be later in week for any snow events then.
    Snow will readily settle on grass as the layer of grass is a layer of insulation from the heat in the soil below.

Just in relation to conary again.
    Theres a good chance that the precip will stay as snow throughout up there on tuesday if it's changing to sleet on the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Mothman wrote: »
    I suggest keep an eye here. http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php
    3 stations in south Wicklow, all with reliable Dp reporting.
    Supercell's station in Annamoe,
    BB's inland of Arklow and my own in Ashford.

For your location I suggest you'll be slightly warmer than Annamoe but colder than both Arklow and Ashford. I'm low down a mile from sea and will be heavily influenced by the maritime air.

I live 5 mins from Annamoe great.

GFS 6z with regards to the marginality for Monday night/ Tuesday snow event.

Has Dewpoints rising to 1 or 2c along the eastern coastal fringes from 4am to 10am before retreating back below 0c.

Places inland never get higher than 0 or 1c DP.

This is the GFS the most marginal model, but has to be looked at.

Would give a snow to sleet to snow event for here.

Although with the liklyhood of snowcover on the ground at the time temperatures may react different.

Potential for a signifigant amount of snow to fall in some areas, i'd say the likes of Kildare, could see a dumping. Might just compact the snow in the east.
    WC I can remember a similar set up to now from when I lived in Dublin in the 80's.
    It was either january or february of 85.
    Basically we had a few days of heavy snow showers[they dumped a good 4 or 5 inches at ucd!] followed by a weather system at the end of that week on the friday night into saturday iirc that moved up from the south that fell as snow.
    By mid afternoon it was falling as sleet in UCD but up in Goatstown and Dundrum just 2 miles away it stayed as snow.

By tuesday night I think You are going to be plastered!

[with snow not drink...well maybe both :D]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Laragh?, if so add about 0.5°C to the Annamoe temperature, I've noticed that appears to be a pretty consistent difference over the time I've lived here (from watching the car temperature gauge like a hawk drive from there to here and back). Its also wetter there, and as all precip in both places is likely to be snow/hail over the next few days i reckon you could do well :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Just in relation to conary again.
    Theres a good chance that the precip will stay as snow throughout up there on tuesday if it's changing to sleet on the coast.

Well thats good news.......i noticed in winters gone by that there is a big difference between Avoca and Conary........Snow up here and nothing in Avoca, even though it's only 3 miles down the road, although it is downhill all the way to Avoca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Great stuff lads, just a couple of days ago my three year old was watching the skynews weather forecast and shouted at the weatherman "give me some snow ya dork" so it looks like her wish is coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

where can i find the dp for cork?

.Snow up here and nothing in Avoca, even though it's only 3 miles down the road, although it is downhill all the way to Avoca.
    A bit of height means so much both for precipitation type (higher = snow) and in most cases higher = more precipitation.
    A win win situation until you want to get home from Avoca...

Cork city?

You could try the airport but remember thats on high ground circa 6 or 700 feet or so.
    The city will be warmer.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EICK/2009/2/1/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

You'll need to change the date tomorrow if it doesnt do it automatically for you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    A bit of height means so much both for precipitation type (higher = snow) and in most cases higher = more precipitation.
    A win win situation until you want to get home from Avoca...

Indeed, I'm working nights this week, am NOT looking forward to tomorrow mornings drive home if things pan out as forecast..as for Tuesday....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Cork city?

You could try the airport but remember thats on high ground circa 6 or 700 feet or so.
    The city will be warmer.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EICK/2009/2/1/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

You'll need to change the date tomorrow if it doesnt do it automatically for you

I'm down at sea level unfortunately but cheers that'l give me an idea, dp for cork airport is 1 now

MetO going for an extreme weather event with upto 30cm's of snow in parts of England:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Site for anyone in Dundalk/Louth area.

http://dundalkweather.athost.net/DundalkWeather.html

Opr

Apparently on BBC:

Jay Wynne, BBC just now said the event tomorrow/Tues is turning from a severe event into an "extreme event" with 25cm plus down South and 30cm plus widely up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

6Z GFS looks good for snow showers from about midnight tonight to about midday on Tuesday. It's a real shame that it appears the heavy precip on Tuesday will start to turn to rain and sleet. :(

GFS has been locked into this in the past couple of runs, is there any hope that it's wrong?

• Advertisement

I have the country file forecast on BBC one recorded and am going to watch it now.
    There are positive comments about it on the UK fora.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement