Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Latest sky new weather (11.59am) shows snow over most of eastern Ireland for tomorrow for most of the day

Latest BBC weather report shows snow for Eastern Ireland from about 7am tomorrow until late afternoon

However you should see the South East England
    The London area is going to be plastered with ongoing snow from tomorrow afternoon at around 3pm

The whole of South East England was shown as white !
    Might get some our way :)

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM 0Z for later in the week.

Hmmmmmmm.....

ECM0-120.GIF

Its currently snowing in London

Irish reporter Enda Brady is outside Westminster among some flurries!

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I can't wait to watch the weekly forecast close to midday on BBC 1 tv on Countryfile, then an hour later the weekly farming forecast on RTE 1 TV :D:confused::D:confused::eek::D:confused:
    dam i missed the countryfile one ,I tuned in at a bout 11 :57 and it wasnt on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ECM 0Z for later in the week.

Hmmmmmmm.....

ECM0-120.GIF

is that good or bad

• Advertisement

According to countryfile with jay wynne-yes a severe event in southeast England tonight and tomorrow and basically snow in England all week.

Graphics over Ireland looked sleety but I put that down to them paying no attention to us as they had the whole of NI white bar the west of it.

All eyes to the Irish one at about 1pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

snowfan wrote: »
    Latest sky new weather (11.59am) shows snow over most of eastern Ireland for tomorrow for most of the day

Latest BBC weather report shows snow for Eastern Ireland from about 7am tomorrow until late afternoon

However you should see the South East England
    The London area is going to be plastered with ongoing snow from tomorrow afternoon at around 3pm

The whole of South East England was shown as white !
    Might get some our way :)

SF

flying into gatwick wednesday afternoon, hopefully will be able to fly out again few days later, or even land back here,

dont mind snow, as long as i dont have to travel in it

better bring the snow shoes though by the sounds of it

Heres the ECM for Tuesday at noon-that would support snow over all bar the far west and north west

090201_0000_60.png

Come 6pm theres a small warm sector meaning rain on the coast away from Wexford where it should stay as snow at sea level [I hope I dont jinx this!]

090201_0000_66.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    Laragh?, if so add about 0.5°C to the Annamoe temperature, I've noticed that appears to be a pretty consistent difference over the time I've lived here (from watching the car temperature gauge like a hawk drive from there to here and back). Its also wetter there, and as all precip in both places is likely to be snow/hail over the next few days i reckon you could do well :)

supercell, it might be too dangerous for you to go taking pictures as you could get lost in a snowdrift. it'll be painful but at the same time interesting to hear just how much you get:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think Monday night is still reduced down to one issue: the dewpoints expected. The margin of error in the temperature for that is enough to make a massive difference to Dublin city itself at first and then other areas westwards and northwards.

Black Briar, what are the ECM charts saying for Monday midnight and 6am? From a NIMBY point of view, they're critical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So as a layman, with little understanding of the technical terms used, how likely is lying snow at the foot of the Dublin mountains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Is the farming forcast reliable,will they tell us aneything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

As my Dad would say, there's a real "taste" of snow in the air today. Feels very cold here already, skies are clouded over.... Can't wait for snow now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

6Z GFS looks good for snow showers from about midnight tonight to about midday on Tuesday. It's a real shame that it appears the heavy precip on Tuesday will start to turn to rain and sleet. :(

GFS has been locked into this in the past couple of runs, is there any hope that it's wrong?
    I'd say yes and no.

No for eastern margins & much of Dublin. Go up to 50-100m away from east coast like most of midlands and Dublin hills then yes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So as a layman, with little understanding of the technical terms used, how likely is lying snow at the foot of the Dublin mountains?

Better chance than in Dublin City is the simple answer!

Looking at the Dublin Mtns atm shrouded in a milky blue haze (typical of an easterly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Is there any chance for us in Clane Co Kildare,we are not far from Blessington,as the crow flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Very!
    devil is in detail of how long it'll last pending height and proximity to coast.
    Tuesday's event is almost 2 days away and Met Eireann are coy in fine detail for good reason

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i got into work at 11am this morning, and the sunshine and the clear skies was more of a sign of a spring day. little did i know that when i got out of the car, it was freezing! and just looking out now, its clouded over.

fingers crossed lads and ladies. wait, lets not cross them, it WILL happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bollo*ks, so Dublin is going to being awash in rain again tomorrow. Typical.

Confab wrote: »
    uhm... it will be snowing in dublin tomorrow...
    It's tuesday thats at issue due to a brief warmer pocket of air in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Confab wrote: »

Yeah I agree :) I know little about meteorology, but what I do know is nothing exciting happens weather wise in Ireland, especialy Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

just spoke to some friends back home in england, north essex to be precise, started snowing heavily. described a big, fluffy white flakes:D

i see the excitement and tension on here continues to build!!

i have to drive to from cork to belfast to arrive at 8am tuesday morning.... so do halfords sell snow chains??

blanket check
    flask check
    mobile check
    boots check

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The RTE Radio one 1pm weather forecast doesn't inspire much confidence. The phrases "Isolated wintry showers", "confined to higher ground", "Scattered" all featured. C0ck! (as James May would say).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uzeZJUsT0UU

Country file forecast for those that want to see it

Wibbler wrote: »
    The RTE Radio one 1pm weather forecast doesn't inspire much confidence. The phrases "Isolated wintry showers", "confined to higher ground", "Scattered" all featured. C0ck! (as James May would say).
    I wish there was some consistency in the MET presentations.
    The seem to lack that.
    All forecasts should be singing from the same hymn sheet out of Glasnevin and they aren't.

That said,I do think that the snow will be confined to high ground on Tuesday unfortunately.
    We are relying on a cold pool that will have arrived the previous day and is not being topped up from the same source.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    Anyway at least theres monday.

Wibbler wrote: »

As someone posted earlier in this forum, weather forecasting is akin to astrology

Lets wait and see

As the song goes "Que sera sera"

If it does not come off, it does not come off; I mean what is the worst that can happen? We will get sleet

Big deal

I am like everyone else on this forum and really hope the snow comes
    However its in the lap of the Gods...

The excitement is really in the predicting!

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Waiting for damn Cosby show to finish to watch the farming weather forecast......

that should reveal all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

right lads give us your opinion of that forecast.i think its great

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Met eireann finally giving the official warning for heavy snow on the east coast tomorrow!!!

Tuesday looks like sleet and cold rain :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good balanced forecast from Evlyn there i thought.
    Big question over tuesdays event, at least at sea level, I'm thinking its going to be chaos here, my workmates are going to hate me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement