Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Just looked at the forecast on RTÉ One there, a nice bit of snow looks certain for the east coast within the next 24hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

j1979p wrote: »
    Met eireann finally giving the official warning for heavy snow on the east coast tomorrow!!!

Tuesday looks like sleet and cold rain

I wasnt satisfied with evelyns forecast , At the start she talked about rain for tuesday, and directed all the heavy snow for england, she never said it would be heavy snow in the east coast ,she said a covering of snow tonight ,the warm atlantic air will ba back with us next sunday she said,
    It doesnt look like Donegal will get snow out of this according to all the forecasts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been looking at all the models over the last half an hour, and what she said basically summarises my views on the weather over the next 3 days.

Monday night looks like a horrible one to forecast. I think the low lying coastal areas will not be seeing too much snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Pangea wrote: »
    It doesnt look like Donegal will get snow out of this according to all the forecasts :(

She said that wind direction turns northerly on Wednesday and probable snow for north and north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

According to that forecast, Monday looks good for snow from Louth down as far as Cork and everywhere to the East of that line. Uncertainty about Tuesday but they went for rain/sleet with a chance of snow mixed in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the bbc forecasts plenty of snow monday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Ah I just want to throw open my curtains one morning and see everything covered in snow, and when you go outside for the first time everything is so quiet because of the blanket of snow. I can't remember the last time that happened in Dublin city. It's been far far far too long.

kkontour wrote: »
    She said that wind direction turns northerly on Wednesday and probable snow for north and north west.
    oh nice ,thanks must of missed when she mentioned north and north west. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

what about Dublin Airport. Will we get a covering of snow or just rain???

Lady_North wrote: »
    Im sure snow for the whole east coast will make dublin airport very white tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Lady_North wrote: »

You'll almost certainly see some snow tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Really bothering me now about the morning and traveling to Heathrow - looks like it could be tricky on both ends, hope I don't make my way to the airport and have to sit and wait for hours to fly! - And then have trouble getting into London city where they now have warning level at red. Oh the joys...

3 day outlooks is good but tuesdays big snow event now looks to be forecast as rain :(
    Very cold throughout. MONDAY NIGHT, TUESDAY, TUESDAY NIGHT: Outbreaks of sleet or snow in eastern parts will gradually extend to many other areas - with snow cover becoming more widespread, and with signifcant accumulations possible locally - BUT should turn largely to rain or sleet during Tuesday and Tuesday night. Sharp frost in places at night where skies are clear. Northeast to north winds, becoming variable or southeast. WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY : Further scattered outrbreaks of rain or sleet on Wednesday (snow unlikely though still possible). Becoming dry and clear in many areas Wednesday night or Thursday, but scattered hail or snow showers also, especially in the northwest and west. Sharp frost in places both nights. Winds becoming mainly northerly in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wish there was some consistency in the MET presentations.
    The seem to lack that.
    All forecasts should be singing from the same hymn sheet out of Glasnevin and they aren't.

History tells me follow the beeb
    The Irish Met are refusing to call this as a snow event
    All I can say is this: Evelyn forecasted the early days of Feb to be dry and bright a couple of nights ago. That sums it up. I honestly think we have enough access to the models ourselves to call it correctly. i.e. mainly snow. Time will tell who's right just as Evelyn's recent forecast 2 nights ago is now completely wrong - or looking like it

01 February 2009 11:53

Tonight

Most parts will remain dry overnight, with clear spells, but it will be bitterly cold everywhere, with sharp to severe frost and a risk of icy patches. Scattered wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow will develop in eastern coastal areas, with some snow cover in places by morning. Lowest temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius, with fresh to strong easterly winds, backing northeast.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Monday, scattered wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow will move inland, affecting mainly parts of East Leinster, East Ulster and east Munster. It will be very mainly dry elsewhere, but very cold, with maximum temperatures of just 1 to 4 Celsius, in a fresh to strong north to northeast wind.

3 Day Outlook

Very cold throughout. MONDAY NIGHT, TUESDAY, TUESDAY NIGHT: Outbreaks of sleet or snow in eastern parts will gradually extend to many other areas - with snow cover becoming more widespread, and with signifcant accumulations possible locally - BUT should turn largely to rain or sleet during Tuesday and Tuesday night. Sharp frost in places at night where skies are clear. Northeast to north winds, becoming variable or southeast. WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY : Further scattered outrbreaks of rain or sleet on Wednesday (snow unlikely though still possible). Becoming dry and clear in many areas Wednesday night or Thursday, but scattered hail or snow showers also, especially in the northwest and west. Sharp frost in places both nights. Winds becoming mainly northerly in direction.

http://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

for wednesday and into thursday the bbc forecast show the fronts that moved over from the east, stalling over the north west and moving south eastwards. that probably means sleet and rain rather than snow for us by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Nice one, I'm glad to hear them saying snow will move inland for tomorrow, let's hope there right:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

BUT should turn largely to rain or sleet during Tuesday and Tuesday night.

How certain is that for either England or Ireland. Is it possible the existing snow cover keep temperatures low enough to stay as snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The temps are certainly heading the right way anyway! Its 3.4c now and a DP of -0.8c in a biting E'ly wind ;) All i need now is the precip :pac:

To tell you the honest truth of it,nothing is certain about tuesday.
    Lots of places will probably see lots of snow.
    The met have understandably fudged it.

Tuesday is so marginal it could go either way.
    If it stays all snow in urban east coast areas,there would be chaos.Thats unlikely but possible.
    So Glasnevin are damned if they do warn and damned if they don't.

Marginal snow situations are for the met office the most unenviable of forecasts to have to do-particularally when heavy precip is possible.

• Advertisement

The temps are certainly heading the right way anyway! Its 3.4c now and a DP of -0.8c in a biting E'ly wind ;) All i need now is the precip :pac:
    Right here 2 miles from the sea its been 2,5c to 3c all day in a biting wind and the dp is now approaching minus 2c.

I'd be very happy if I was seeing data like that on tuesday.

The real cold air is not here yet.

By the way one thing that hasnt been mentioned but with heavy snow being forecast over Britain tomorrow,thats going to aid the cold surface flow towards Ireland which *could* keep the precip as snow at lower levels on tuesday here.

That could make things very chaotic.

I hope I havent jinxed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I've being telling my 5 year old daughter all weekend that it's going to snow this coming week here in Waterford City but after watching the farming weather I'm not as confident as I was.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

for wednesday and into thursday the bbc forecast show the fronts that moved over from the east, stalling over the north west and moving south eastwards. that probably means sleet and rain rather than snow for us by then.

Depending on the track of that low some areas to the n/w/sw may well
    remain in the colder sector , imo some of the higher ground in these areas
    could get a pasting later this week .

EDIT : just checked my WS
    3.6C
    dp now -0.2C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

History tells me follow the beeb
    The Irish Met are refusing to call this as a snow event
    All I can say is this: Evelyn forecasted the early days of Feb to be dry and bright a couple of nights ago. That sums it up. I honestly think we have enough access to the models ourselves to call it correctly. i.e. mainly snow. Time will tell who's right just as Evelyn's recent forecast 2 nights ago is now completely wrong - or looking like it

JSI think you have hit the nail on the head here

I remember Christmas 2004 and the BBC forecast snow for Ireland quite accurately ; all I can say this time is there is a lot more white over Ireland from the BBC ....!

SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

OK I live in Rush, co Dublin. In other words right smack on the coast and more or less at sea level. My kids have me pestered wanting to know if there will be snow. What say you all.....? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Depending on the track of that low some areas to the n/w/sw may well
    remain in the colder sector , imo some of the higher ground in these areas
    could get a pasting later this week .

to be honest i think the snow would be confined to high ground as it's an occluded front and the milder air will spoil everything for lower levels

shamwari wrote: »
    OK I live in Rush, co Dublin. In other words right smack on the coast and more or less at sea level. My kids have me pestered wanting to know if there will be snow. What say you all.....? :rolleyes:
    should be some tomorrow.

Jay wynne was on a news item being interviewd on BBC news 24 a few minutes ago with a worried look on his face talking first about disruption in the morning in SE England.
    Presenter said ,thats it then it will go away?

Jay wynne said no it gets worse-blizzards for london...

Okey Dokey - one more point to make before I sign off untill Evening.

The convection got going early over the North sea in this flow and the convection is strong.
    We could be in for some very heavy showers in the East overnight with the flurries starting after dark or sometime later this evening in places.

I have probably jinxed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

to be honest i think the snow would be confined to high ground as it's an occluded front and the milder air will spoil everything for lower levels

Snow showers look certain for the e/se later tonight/tomorrow ,
    but then it gets complicated , that low is going to spoil things for
    most of us on Tue , could be a snow to rain event and mabye turning
    back to snow as it clears away to the se ,then its eyes north for the rest of the week :pac: , those of us on higher ground may have a very memorable
    week indeed , thats my opinion atm .....then again what would i know :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Snowing at Newcastle at bit, at Lingfield quite a lot both on the east coast of England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement