Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've thought about this over lunch. The models still differ where the expected LP is going to travel, and what its pressure will be.

What we want is for the LP to intensify enough so that precipitation and cold air can both be dragged across Ireland. If it intensifies too much, the warm sector will be too pronounced and the LP will travel further north, also limiting the cold air that we would get.

My preference is for the LP to move somewhat slowly towards Bristol or anywhere a bit further south or east than this. This would dilute the mild sector sufficiently to keep precipitation quite wintry yet not take the steam out of it prematurely.

Also, my gut feeling is for places like Kildare, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Carlow and perhaps Waterford to fare best on Monday night with accumulations for much of the night.

But how that LP around France develops is critical. And for the long term prognosis, once again it's how the jet stream interacts with that LP in the atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

im saving this airmass chart.notice the cold pool just over south east england trailing east.(BROWN AREA)and that low over spain thats coming for tuesday.:D:D:D

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea wrote: »
    He said that theres more weather coming up from spain and biscay on tuesday and that when it usually comes provides very heavy snow, but he said he is unsure yet if it will fall as snow on us ,its hard to tell.
    But he said general snow on tuesday,

Overall a very nice forecast ,with some uncertainty.
    Looks like met eireann discovered that this wont happen and its gona rain tuesday
    Evelyn said today it doesnt look like there will be general snow,

Ah pangea!

Keep the faith!

Winter is young

Temps dropped another bit here
    Now 2.3c with a dp of -2.2c

Wind cuts the face :)

Should be interesting later...I gather Weathercheck is doing the night shift :D (on this forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ah pangea!

Keep the faith!

Winter is young

Temps dropped another bit here
    Now 2.3c with a dp of -2.2c

Wind cuts the face :)

Should be interesting later...I gather Weathercheck is doing the night shift :D (on this forum)

yes exactly keep the faith.

its changing on a daily basis and tomorrow might have a differenf view of things. evelyn two days ago said it would be sunny and dry and i would put far more faith on what the bbc say at this stage.

it will be interesting to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

redsunset wrote: »
    im saving this airmass chart.notice the cold pool just over south east england trailing east.(BROWN AREA)and that low over spain thats coming for tuesday.:D:D:D

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg
    I have been watching this thread with a lot of interests as I have not seen any snow of consequence since 1986 where I live in south east and I have wonderful memories on the snow during my student days in January 1982. I am not sure that we will get a repeat of that as I decipher your thoughts on this board but at least I have a lovely new desktop background !!!
    Thanks redsunset :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

No snow to look forward to here unfortunately :( , nevertheless temps
    dropping steadily this afternoon.
    2.8 c , dp -0.8c ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Also, my gut feeling is for places like Kildare, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Carlow and perhaps Waterford to fare best on Monday night with accumulations for much of the night.

Thank you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snow showers making good headway across England atm
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

trogdor wrote: »
    Snow showers making good headway across England atm
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

is that blue speck of ppn in front of dublin just an echo?? (14 30)

• Advertisement

That blue spec is called anaprop-a false radar return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks likely that skies may clear up somewhat in the next hour or so. This should allow temperatures to fall and ground frost to develop, pretty good if you're looking for a good base for snow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Clear here now actually.
    I'm not expecting any ground frost here if the wind keeps up it's current strength at 15 to 20mph at ground level but it's a very drying wind.

Seriously low central london dewpoints now at circa -8c.
    No wonder they are expecting the precip there tomorrow to be snow.

My dp is dropping .
    Currently a healthy -2.5c

Roll on the showers later :D

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks likely that skies may clear up somewhat in the next hour or so. This should allow temperatures to fall and ground frost to develop, pretty good if you're looking for a good base for snow.

Should be very nice indeed:D by the looks of it some of those showers will be starting the reach the irish sea having cleared england soon and will begin to pep up hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    Fair point though won't be much ground frost due to breeze
    5cm soil temp up to 4C now with 20cm at about 5C. These will only fall from here on in.
    This clear slot is just arriving, probably no quite in time to record sunshine this evening.

3.1C Dp -1.5C atm

trogdor wrote: »
    Should be very nice indeed:D by the looks of it some of those showers will be starting the reach the irish sea having cleared england soon and will begin to pep up hopefully
    When the -8c to -11c 850mb air reaches here over the next 12hours or so,the Irish sea should be generating it's own showers and big ones.

I've probably jinxed this now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

GFS 12z is a small upgrade for Monday so far, from what I can tell... The critical charts will have loaded soon.

When the -8c to -11c 850mb air reaches here over the next 12hours or so,the Irish sea should be generating it's own showers and big ones.

I've probably jinxed this now :(

That's what i'm hoping for anyway:D I was wondering earlier..maybe you know. Say a shower begins to cross the irish sea having left england. would the irish sea then redevelop it into a much heftier shower than say one generated by itself in the irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFS 12z is a small upgrade for Monday so far, from what I can tell... The critical charts will have loaded soon.

How does Tuesday look on this run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/monthly_outlook.shtml
    Interesting bbc have the first week of february as wet in their montly outlook
    but the week after is when they predict colder weather . :confused:

Monday 09 February 2009 to Sunday 22 February 2009
    “Cold airflow expected.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

The forum on netweather has a thread setup for different areas in the UK, there is also on for ireland. Interest to read them to see how the snow is now starting to move across the UK, seem to be in the midlands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sky news weather always seems to be accurate to me and their chart shows snow moving a fair bit inland for Ireland tomorrow! God i hope it reaches Cork!! PLEASE let it reach CORK!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads could I get an update for Waterford for the next 36 hours, or as best you can.

Would we be looking at schools closing? I actually hope not.. Im too busy! (Bah Humbug :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

watching Liverpool v Chelsea now, just kicked off at anfield and it's snowing there :)

Trotter wrote: »
    Lads could I get an update for Waterford for the next 36 hours, or as best you can.

Would we be looking at schools closing? I actually hope not.. Im too busy! (Bah Humbug :D)

For Trotter and everyone else, here is predicted snow as shown by BBC Weather Beta :

1_6.jpg

2.jpg

Looks nice :pac:

Look like an slight upgrade for Tuesday on the latest GFS run?

Latest run on the left, previous one on the right.
    Percip chart for 12:00 Tue:

3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Oh i'm so excited. Snow in dublin! Please let it last for the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

So no snow now on tuesday? DP in Arklow is -2.8 at the minute.....Thats good I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I have been watching this thread with a lot of interests as I have not seen any snow of consequence since 1986 where I live in south east and I have wonderful memories on the snow during my student days in January 1982. I am not sure that we will get a repeat of that as I decipher your thoughts on this board but at least I have a lovely new desktop background !!!
    Thanks redsunset :-)

Hehe, i'm using it as a desktop background too. Cool image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I can't even remember the last time we had proper snow in Dublin. Dare I hope?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement