Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

http://weather.sky.com/atglance.aspx?countryID=101&townID=64

Hmm sky weather pridicting a pretty sultry night tonight, 15 c not bad for this time of year eh?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

imola94 wrote: »
    http://weather.sky.com/atglance.aspx?countryID=101&townID=64

Hmm sky weather pridicting a pretty sultry night tonight, 15 c not bad for this time of year eh?? :p

15c for Dublin....niiiiiice:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Only about an hour or so ago my DP was -0.4c (it had risen from -0.8c around 2pm) its now -1.4c! Thats a fair drop for an hour, no? Well, lets hope it keeps heading in that direction! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like it will be the early hours before the snow showers develope on the East Coast. Not sure about the coastal fringes tomorrow. Think there could be hail and sleet here later tomorrow at times. The wind should prevent a frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hehe, i'm using it as a desktop background too. Cool image.
    cheers lads,i must say when i first saw it i went,top drawer image.got to post it for the lads.hope there's is more of the same or worse to come.im all excited here.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Just incase any of ye arent aware of it, here's a good rainfall radar, updated ever 15 mins, might come in handy over the next few days ;)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Hi Everyone

This is fascinating, i have been following this thread for the last 2 days.

I too have saved that image for a desktop, it really is beautiful.

I have a couple of questions:

What are the chances of snow in East Wall, I used to live in Mornington and we got great frosts, snow the lot, even though I was not that far from the beach but East Wall seems to be a little bowl of warm weather! I have already taken the before photos!

What are the chances of my boss being stuck in Italy, she flies back Monday night?

Are there any beginners courses in weather that I can do? Or a beginners book?

Thanks for all your updates, I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

embee wrote: »
    watching Liverpool v Chelsea now, just kicked off at anfield and it's snowing there :)
    Me too, lets hope the snow will move over here:)

Just incase any of ye arent aware of it, here's a good rainfall radar, updated ever 15 mins, might come in handy over the next few days ;)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    oh yes have been using it.its fairly good and i'll be watchin it and everything like a hawk over the next 48 hrs.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Tuesday looking slightly better on GFS but I'm still not very happy with it. The UKMO has been more consistent over the last couple of days, and hopefully our faith in it will be rewarded:D

I still think that the southeast has the best chance of snow, based on my interpretation of the models, but once again if the LP develops differently then the outcome will change dramatically. The wicklow mountains will get plenty of powder from this, that much is certain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting 16:30 taf for Dublin Airport :-

EIDW 011100Z 0112/0212 10015KT 9999 FEW015 SCT030
    BECMG 0114/0117 09018G28KT
    PROB30
    TEMPO 0119/0124 7000 -SHRA -SHRASN
    SCT008 BKN014
    BECMG 0200/0203 06016KT
    TEMPO 0200/0212 06017G28KT 7000 -SHRA
    -SHRASN SCT008 BKN014
    PROB30
    TEMPO 0203/0212 3000 SHSN BKN005
    BECMG 0208/0211 03015KT

Basically a possibility of light rain and sleet showers forecast between 19:00 and midnight.
    Winds backing NE after that with more light rain and sleet showers with a possibility of some moderate snow showers between 03:00 and 12:00 tomorrow.
    I think they be underestimating the wintriness but it is the latest forecast out there for the Dublin area.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Hi Everyone

This is fascinating, i have been following this thread for the last 2 days.

I too have saved that image for a desktop, it really is beautiful.

I have a couple of questions:

What are the chances of snow in East Wall, I used to live in Mornington and we got great frosts, snow the lot, even though I was not that far from the beach but East Wall seems to be a little bowl of warm weather! I have already taken the before photos!

What are the chances of my boss being stuck in Italy, she flies back Monday night?

Are there any beginners courses in weather that I can do? Or a beginners book?

Thanks for all your updates, I love it!

The early hours we will certainly see snow in the east (East Wall goes without saying:) ) with increasingly heavy and frequent snow showers tomorrow. Disruptive I think.

Just to turn to Tuesdays possible event for a moment

These are the max temps progged by the UKMO for Tuesday afternoon. Very interesting that temperatures will only be 3C even in the Irish sea.

U48-580.GIF?01-17

I would think that looks rather good to me even for coastal areas. If the temps reached 4 or 5C in the Irish sea I would rule it out but with sub 528 DAM and 850 hpa temps hanging around -5C it could be a snow fest for many. Though I do think there will be rain at times too later on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sashasky

Just heard the news, ye looks like we will have snow monday night ,tuesday. Extreme cold snap coming our way.

sashasky wrote: »
    Just heard the news, ye looks like we will have snow monday night ,tuesday. Extreme cold snap coming our way.
    Yes according to 2fm news there Met Éireann have warned of outbreaks of snow moving into the East tomorrow night.

They are probably starting to worry about 2 things :
    Cold surface air advection from what will be a snow covered Britain and dewpoints that might stubornly stay at or below freezing wiping out the warmer sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The charts this evening would suggest we are heading into the biggest snow event since at least 2001.

Get yer shovel out! Those 2 feet snow drifts in Portmarnock are coming:D

You can follow the progress of that beautiful airmass image on this.its now updated to 1600.

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/AIRMASS/WESTERNEUROPE/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The situation has gotten quite weird. Over on the UK forum ( NetWeather) which some of you have mentioned they are accusing the Met Office of ramping.

EDIT: heres a quote

"
    An over excited Country File forecast which means if it's right a lot of problems for me this week. Anyway before you all get too over excited remember that the met office isn't very good a predicting rainfall amounts and normally over does the amount by a large amount. Since Snow depth generally depends on the amount of rainfall you can see if they over do the amounts of rain the expected depths will also be far too high."

Basically the country file forecast was for a whole week of heavy snow in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Thanks Darkman

I do not know why The Met and powers to be are worried, it is not like anyone is busy at work with the recession and all. (although I do have month end) This may be what the nation needs to improve the mood, God knows the govt is not doing anything.

That snowy sound of silence and snow angels. That is what we need.

And for that biatch to be stuck in Italy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I do not know why The Met and powers to be are worried, it is not like anyone is busy at work with the recession and all. (although I do have month end) This may be what the nation needs to improve the mood, God knows the govt is not doing anything.

Maybe we are going back to the Eighties in more ways than one - recession, and snow falls.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

RTE seemed to be suggesting rain rather than snow for Tuesday (east coast), is this still the case or is it too marginal to predict?

What's the chances of snow overnight tonight (in Clonee)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

The recession is a good thing.
    I liked old ireland better than new greedy ireland!!!!!!
    Bring on sneachta for cork.

Thanks Darkman

Yes, I can just imagine it, a magical couple of days, everyone forgetting about the economy, waking up to a thick blanket of snow. Everyone off work and all the children off school, going outside with there friends and neighbors to make snowmen, have snowball fights and going ice skating.

What a gay ol' time it'll be :D

Then of course it'll all turn to a horrible dirty slush and reality will kick in again and we'll go back to the grumpy nation that we are :pac:

PauloMN wrote: »
    RTE seemed to be suggesting rain rather than snow for Tuesday (east coast), is this still the case or is it too marginal to predict?

What's the chances of snow overnight tonight (in Clonee)?

Too marginal to predict. They got in toruble before by some pub owner in Donegal or something for predicting (rightly) snow and disruption which in the event was not quite that bad. Someone took exception and it got into papers. So they are right to be cautious about it. Snow is the most difficult weather to predict.

As for snow in Clonee tonight. Unlikely unfortunately but a better chance tomorrow. You would want to be close to the East coast tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

forget met eireann and the met office, these italians are right (dublin forecast for tonight):D

00.00s108.gifcoperto 1.4°ENE 34 / max 38
    forte
    -- assenti -->10km
    buona-12 °C80 %1014mb130m2 °C03.00s111.gifneve 1.5°NE 30 / max 34
    moderato
    -- assenti -->10km
    buona-11 °C86 %1012mb140m2 °C06.00s111.gifneve 1.6°NE 33 / max 39
    forte
    w11.gif 0.9 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-12 °C86 %1010mb160m
    neve a 0m2 °C09.00s11.gifneve 1.7°NE 34 / max 40
    forte
    w11.gif 1.2 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-12 °C82 %1009mb170m
    neve a 0m2 °C12.00s11.gifneve 2NE 35 / max 43
    forte
    w11.gif 1.3 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-11 °C81 %1007mb190m
    neve a 0m2 °C15.00s11.gifneve 2°NNE 35 / max 42
    forte
    w11.gif 1.1 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-11 °C80 %1004mb200m
    neve a 0m3 °C18.00s11.gifneve 1.2°NNE 34 / max 44
    forte
    w11.gif 0.9 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-12 °C90 %1002mb170m
    neve a 0m2 °C21.00s111.gifneve 1.5°NNE 35 / max 43
    forte
    w11.gif 1.5 cm
    deboli>10km
    buona-12 °C91 %999mb170m
    neve a 0m2 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

darkman2 wrote: »
    . You would want to be close to the East coast tonight.

is rush close enough? ha ha

whats this business of people not working. snow unfortunately should not stop people going to work.

if thats the case the likes of russia and canada etc etc...... would not be able to do anyting

unless the roads are too slippy :D

if thats the case it would be too dangerous to go to work.......:D

This is the situation atm. The really cold air is well into Britain along with the snow showers.

Rtavn062.png

By midnight tonight it's going to be raw on the East Coast as those showers start to get going.

Rtavn122.png

Temperatures, especially inland, will be taking a very steep drop over the next 6 hours. You would not want to be walking along the sea front in Portmarnock.....and if you are that daft make sure you dress up really warm!;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

darkman2 wrote: »
    As for snow in Clonee tonight. Unlikely unfortunately but a better chance tomorrow. You would want to be close to the East coast tonight.

...which leads me to my next question. :D When the forecasters talk about "along the coast", or "close to the coast", what sort of distances are they talking about? I'm around 10 miles inland here, but I would always have assumed us to be close to the coast, at least weatherwise.

ok the i-talians say it will snow at 3.....

alarm set. nothing cooler than seeing snow flutter past street lights

just an idea.

does anyone know of any web cams through england that we can check the progress of the snow

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    is rush close enough? ha ha

Yep. A bit too close. The perfect spot to be for significant lying snow would be Blanch, Ashbourne, Blessington - these sorts of places in enough from the coast. On the coast itself is always going to have less lying snow. Just a mile or two inland there often is big difference. A dusting on the coast is often a good few cm's inland....any sort of height too is always better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement