Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Martron wrote: »
    ok the i-talians say it will snow at 3.....

alarm set. nothing cooler than seeing snow flutter past street lights

their forecast is rather optimistic:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yep. A bit too close. The perfect spot to be for significant lying snow would be Blanch, Ashbourne, Blessington - these sorts of places in enough from the coast. On the coast itself is always going to have less lying snow. Just a mile or two inland there often is big difference. A dusting on the coast is often a good few cm's inland....any sort of height too is always better.

Lusk sufficiently inland? :pac: A couple of miles anyway from the coast... just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

so would i be right in saying clondalkin could get a nice pasting of the white stuff?

Yep. A bit too close. The perfect spot to be for significant lying snow would be Blanch, Ashbourne, Blessington - these sorts of places in enough from the coast. On the coast itself is always going to have less lying snow. Just a mile or two inland there often is big difference. A dusting on the coast is often a good few cm's inland....any sort of height too is always better.
    Agree with that.Anytime there has been snow around this area,I've noticed more of it out with me than in the town and I'm only 2 miles inland.
    Go 4 miles inland and add the height and there is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Well was just on my way home from Arklow to Conary, a few flakes of snow falling here at the moment :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the 17.30 radar, ignoring anaprop just off Dublin, looks like a few showers have pepped up over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Woohoo.. Im in Stepaside. Heres hoping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Snow has started here in England. Very light at the moment though. temps are around -1C with Dp around -3 to-4C. the snowers are slowly passing overland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

so guys what are the chances of the snow coming 2 limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

A few showers starting to appear in the irish sea.

viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaraaltv4_1745;sess=ab5481ec56eb58d84de6839c64861672

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Even if it was not anaprop (i.e precip that is actually not there on radar) I doubt its cold enough right now. It would be a bit early. The really cold air won't be in until after 10 or 11pm. Be supprised if they were snow now. Maybe a sleety mix if they are showers. I don't expect real snow till after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

just at raintoday there showers are quite dense and definately coming this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Will one of you answer my question;Will we see white stuff in Clane Co Kildare.I will be a reporter for u as I am usually up morst of the night,do we report on this thread or is there a special one allocated??
    Please give me good news.

holly1 wrote: »
    Will one of you answer my question;Will we see white stuff in Clane Co Kildare.I will be a reporter for u as I am usually up morst of the night,do we report on this thread or is there a special one allocated??
    Please give me good news.

Yes probrably. Good location actually.;)

what is anaprop?

Martron wrote: »
    what is anaprop?

It's a constant echo on radar (often over mountainous areas) that looks like precip but is not and often stays stationary for a few hours. It's just an error. That's what has been showing just off the Dublin coast.

The other echos do look like showers now on radar further our in the Irish Sea....

thanks

figured as much. too staright to be showers i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Seems the be a lot of showers popping up on Radar over the last half hour! Hopefully there will be a few heavy showers in Kilcock:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

rte weather - SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW some rain SNOW SNOW

;)

fantastic..it is very rare to see snow on a forecast but to see snow and a little warning symbol..well, I don't think I want to sleep

• Advertisement

Well Met Eireann just confirmed that those echos are indeed the beginning of the showers. Still thinks it's couple of hours too early for actual snow but we will see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Evelyn finally admits snow is on the way, although she threw in the word "rain" once or twice just to keep us at bay!;)

Just for those who are interested but don't have the link.

This is the best free radar

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Timeline at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Snow in my area?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like some showers are popping up in Cardigan Bay heading for Wexford.

Well Met Eireann just confirmed that those echos are indeed the beginning of the showers. Still thinks it's couple of hours too early for actual snow but we will see.
    Given the extent of the showers over Britain today and the fact that they got out into liverpool bay,I'm not surprised that they are already showing up.

It's very windy.Gusting here to almost 30mph now and my anemometer is practically on the ground.

barnicles wrote: »
    Snow in my area?
    Possible but a case of watching how extensive the irish sea stuff gets tomorrow.
    You are a bit too far southwest for the first batch but I would not rule out snow from the low at your location given you are inland and your height etc.
    Total nowcast at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

I'm trying to find out how high above sea level Kilcock. I can't see where it says it on google earth. Could anybody help?

Given the extent of the showers over Britain today and the fact that they got out into liverpool bay,I'm not surprised that they are already showing up.

It's very windy.Gusting here to almost 30mph now and my anemometer is practically on the ground.

They should remain light enough though for the time being. Part of the dieing cold front that crossed Britain today. The heavier stuff will be after midnight according to most of the models anyway. Be a nice supprise if it started snowing earlier.

• Advertisement

Dewpoint here has dropped to -4.2c
    Thats excelent for snow and it's quite cloudy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement