Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ha its colder on the irish sea than it is here

Makes sense. The cold air is moving towards us, so it has to be colder the further east you go :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I doubt were gonna see conditons anything as good as the southeast of england but hopefully we'll get a few inchs tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Am I the only Dubliner that heard what Evelyn said on the RTE Weather at 6.20pm?

"Serious disruption likely for the Greater Dublin area tomorrow" because of the snow

Or was I dreaming? :)

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Don't worry about seeing spits of snow or sleet just now lads. The real showers won't be coming in from the Irish Sea until after midnight and increasing as the morning goes on. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

snowfan wrote: »
    Did any fellow Dubliners not pick up on what Evelyn said on the RTE Weather at 6.20pm?

"Serious disruption likely for the Greater Dublin area tomorrow" because of the snow

SF

Think she was dreaming tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

trogdor wrote: »
    Ha its colder on the irish sea than it is here!:pac:

Not stopping it snowing lightly here tho:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Did any fellow Dubliners not pick up on what Evelyn said on the RTE Weather at 6.20pm?

SF

Yeah I heard that... and she also specifically advised against travel to England which I don't think I've ever heard before, or maybe it just didn't apply to me before :pac:

One of heathrows two runways is closed now as the snow ploughs are trying to clear it of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Davo, you beat me too it. Wind has picked up and it is hailing/spitting in East Wall

One of heathrows two runways is closed now as the snow ploughs are trying to clear it of snow.

Cheers... if that's happening now, I'd say the morning will be far worse. I think I will give up on the plan to travel over tomorrow, will be too much hassle - just hope my boss sees it that way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Where is the best place to get info about airports in SE England????

Am I the only Dubliner that heard what Evelyn said on the RTE Weather at 6.20pm?

SF

She mentioned "A risk of serious disruption in the Greater Dublin area", yes.

trogdor wrote: »
    Not stopping it snowing lightly here tho:D
    Ha at least my prediction of something kicking off shortly after dark was right.
    Nothing here bar the odd flurry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭crushproof

Photo from flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/danosirra/3245328952/

I presume its taken in the UK....lets hope for some of that in the hours to come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

No sign of snow in Dundalk yet!
    Currently overcast 3.5c, Strong East breeze

Does anybody have a link for NetWeather Radar?? The one that distinguishes between snow/sleet ?
    Have seen a couple of the guys post images from it in here before, always seemed very accurate in the past!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

There is some light snow falling in lucan at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

pelting down hailstone-ish here ground covered with kinda white stuff !!!

Roll on tomorrow for the main event !!!

Whats the chances of thunder snow here? What conditions are required? Sounds like a lot of fun from the reports on NW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Moderate graupel and snow falling here- really strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

crushproof wrote: »
    Photo from flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/danosirra/3245328952/

I presume its taken in the UK....lets hope for some of that in the hours to come!!
    Well the only numberplate visible in those photos is an English reg so seems likely. Man, I really want some of that!

• Advertisement

lashing in west dublin atm tiny snow balls as opposed to flakes, melting on the concrete

Great to hear reports of snow this early in the night.

Recent Sleet reported at Dublin Airport @ 8pm

stopped as soon as it started, all melted now. was too quick for anything. By the time i had my camera it had stopped but briefly it was heavy. Have camera ready for the next time. I could actually hear it hitting the window above music i was playin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Shower has brought it down to 4.0C/-1.0C here now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

lashing in west dublin atm tiny snow balls as opposed to flakes, melting on the concrete

Soft hail is a better description. Ive had the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Some snow fell in Blanch about 15 mins ago, stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ok ppl. got to go. i hope it is a good one for everyone!!!!

work should be interesting!!!!

nothing like working on the side of the m50 in snow and winds!!!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Soft hail is a better description. Ive had the same thing.

lolol yeah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Snow and hail in Kilcock, wind really picked up when the shower arrived:D Good Start to the night..

• Advertisement

jay28 wrote: »
    Was just looking at the weather station in Arklow.............Just noticed the temperature, at 3:05pm today it was 2.2 c and now it 2.9 c..........why is that, I thought the temperature would drop more instead of rise.
    Cloud cover maybe? I dont know :rolleyes:

Jay
    It's to do with the strong wind really.
    The important figure on that is the dewpoint and thats now a tasty -5.1c which means snow is inevitable when precip arrives.

The air temp will fluctuate and will likely be around zero when it snows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement