Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

few pics of trim co meath :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Large dark clouds coming in over Dublin Port now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Had a light dusting about 7am, took me a hour and half to drive from Greystones to Cabinteely..

Most has melted but being hit by another snow shower now.. Great watching them coming in off the sea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

its looking like we could be in for some downfall of snow tonight, judging by what Met Eireann are saying. Bring it on:D:D

I have no faith in Met Eireann:(,they havent a clue.People here on Boards were able to predict this weather ages ago,yesterday was the first real mention of snow!!!:rolleyes:

Light sleet here now (Dublin Port)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I have a feeling this will turn into a typical snow event here... just a light dusting which only lasts a few hours.

In saying that, it's gone fierce dark to my east over Dublin.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I have a feeling this will turn into a typical snow event here... just a light dusting which only lasts a few hours.

In saying that, it's gone fierce dark to my east over Dublin.

I'm begining to think the same myself. I have faith that we will see more snow, but I don't think it's going to stick around for long with the ground as wet as it is :( Hopefully I'm wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Its a blizzard now coming off the coast at Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

:(

Noting here, Have some ice on the decking, Any chance we'll see some? All the showers seem to be avoiding us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 20somethings

Snowing again in centre of dublin, dark clouds, wind, some drizzly snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hakaman

Fairly heavy snow in Dunlavin, South-west Wicklow for those who've never heard of the place before ... :pac: .. starting to snow again.

Looks like South Kildare / West Wicklow is getting a fair pasting of the stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's certainly sticking in higher ground- my commute from Ranelagh to Sandyford this morning:

th_2009-02-02_01.jpg th_2009-02-02_02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I just got back from driving the wife into work (Naas) and it was chaos. Took over an hour for the little trip, cars all over the place. Going to be fun picking her up this evening!

Newbridge a couple of minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Got a fairly good view of both sides of Dublin city. From what I've been seeing the past couple of hours there seems to be a difference between the northside and southside. Looks nice and sunny on the northside, the southside is completely dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

snowing in D12 now (1026hrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

it is threatening here in ballymun at the moment. very small light snow flakes. cant see much from the office but feels like temperaure dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thats what's happening Davo!

Continous snow here west of Arklow and no problem at all settling.
    Very dull
    1.2/-1.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sort of 'drizzly' fine snow flakes in the air in D15 now.
    Davo D wrote: »
    Got a fairly good view of both sides of Dublin city. From what I've been seeing the past couple of hours there seems to be a difference between the northside and southside. Looks nice and sunny on the northside, the southside is completely dark.

That sort of tallies with what I can see here..much cloudier to the south than to the north. Even if those clouds aren't bringing much here, they're at least obscuring the sun a bit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Snowing hard in Sandyford now, starting to get deep.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

One or two flakes just floating around here atm. Nothing substantial right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's a race to the finish, snowflakes vs posts on this thread ... but I think snowflakes will take it at the wire, with heavier sea effect bands likely to develop now for several reasons, daytime convection, stronger winds developing, and coldest air now moving overhead. So expect this local contrast situation to continue but where it does snow next few hours, could come down heavier than before, with thundersnow possible. Large snow pellets and hail also in the mix due to unstable layers above the surface.

Meanwhile, the meso-scale low in central France is heading straight for Dublin over 24-30 hours and this can only mean a period later today and through the night of knife-edge drama, will it stay all snow, start mixing with sleet, change to rain briefly? Maybe at sea level and very close to the coast. However, this will bring snow much further inland later and give most other parts of Ireland a covering.

I still see potential here for near-blizzard conditions to develop through the later part of the day and overnight. And by late Tuesday and into Wednesday the low starts to move away to the southwest and colder air wraps around again, so further periods of snow could develop mid-week, followed by a renewed blast of colder air from the north. It may stay wintry to about Valentines Day at this rate (by the way, today is Groundhog Day, if you see any around there they are quite lost).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

smashey wrote: »
    I've just heard that Letterkenny has got a decent covering with schools closed and chaos on the roads. :mad: Why oh why am I not at work there today? :mad::mad:

Letterkenny got a good pasting alright! Took me two hours to get through the town this morning. Absolute mayhem!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

salonfire wrote: »
    Letterkenny got a good pasting alright! Took me two hours to get through the town this morning. Absolute mayhem!
    And I'm 17 miles away looking out at a blue sky and some strange looking big bright thing. :mad:

Damn my boss and his three day weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

smashey wrote: »
    I've just heard that Letterkenny has got a decent covering with schools closed and chaos on the roads. :mad: Why oh why am I not at work there today? :mad::mad:

:eek::eek:

how can that be??

It's a race to the finish, snowflakes vs posts on this thread ... but I think snowflakes will take it at the wire, with heavier sea effect bands likely to develop now for several reasons, daytime convection, stronger winds developing, and coldest air now moving overhead. So expect this local contrast situation to continue but where it does snow next few hours, could come down heavier than before, with thundersnow possible. Large snow pellets and hail also in the mix due to unstable layers above the surface.

Meanwhile, the meso-scale low in central France is heading straight for Dublin over 24-30 hours and this can only mean a period later today and through the night of knife-edge drama, will it stay all snow, start mixing with sleet, change to rain briefly? Maybe at sea level and very close to the coast. However, this will bring snow much further inland later and give most other parts of Ireland a covering.

I still see potential here for near-blizzard conditions to develop through the later part of the day and overnight. And by late Tuesday and into Wednesday the low starts to move away to the southwest and colder air wraps around again, so further periods of snow could develop mid-week, followed by a renewed blast of colder air from the north. It may stay wintry to about Valentines Day at this rate (by the way, today is Groundhog Day, if you see any around there they are quite lost).

Thanks Roger. I have an anvil headed straight this way as you speak:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

Blue skies and balmy sunshine here in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

:eek::eek:

how can that be??
    salonfire wrote: »
    My reporter on the streets of Letterkenny confirms it. :D

Hey Weathercheck - could be thundersnow on the way. Check out the anvils to the east:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

ac1977 wrote: »
    Blue skies and balmy sunshine here in Cork

Ditto for Galway :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement