Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

From Met Éireann site:
    Issued at 02 February 2009 - 11:11
    Severe Weather Warning
    Snow Showers affecting much of Leinster and west Ulster will spread to all other parts of Ireland tonight and during Tuesday. Snow depth of 3 to 8 cm is expected in many places and there will be a widespread penetrating frost during the night hours.

Valid from: 11:00 02/02/2009
    Valid to 23:00 03/02/2009

whiteout here west of arklow
    settling very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Yes, How come the precipitation (SNOW) in Donegal is showing up here
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

but not on met Eireann?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

snow showers getting more frequent in Lucan

very sunny at one point - still 2C

A wild blizzard now.
    Branches on the hedges are weighted down :D

1.1/-1.3c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

In the UK- they are saying it's the most snow they've gotten (in places) since 1991 with around a foot of snow lying in parts.
    snow.jpg >>this was this morning from Essex, via NetWeather. It's due to keep snowing there too!
    Here in Trinity there is a tiny bit of snow lying on the grass and occasional flurries but all the substantial stuff is hitting south Dublin only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fionagus wrote: »
    Yes, How come the precipitation (SNOW) in Donegal is showing up here
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

but not on met Eireann?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

i seem to recall someone saying on here before that the met radar is crap, they said it often times doesn't detect some of the precipitation crossing the country

rc28 wrote: »
    In the UK- they are saying it's the most snow they've gotten (in places) since 1991 with around a foot of snow lying in parts.
    snow.jpg >>this was this morning from Essex, via NetWeather. It's due to keep snowing there too!

fantastic picture!
    that scene could well be played out on higher ground in the east by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

About 2cms up in Roundwood Co Wicklow this morning. pretty hairy coming down the hill to Kilmac. a 15 min drive took an hr. Hope I can get back up later on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still nout here.

Started to get annoyed/scared/disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

It is snowing in the Dublin mountains, Ballinteer and Dundrum again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

i seem to recall someone saying on here before that the met radar is crap, they said it often times doesn't detect some of the precipitation crossing the country

That explains it. Will stick to Met Office UK one in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just curious about the snow forecast for tonight/tomorrow. Is it that system moving into the south-east of the UK that will bring our snow ? Seems parts of the UK are going to get another pasting from that over the next few hours.

image.ashx?country=eu&type=zoom&format=640x480001001&rnd=64401

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

tis worse now than that.i also measured 2 3/4 inch.thats 7cm snow fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Snowing really heavy in Letterkenny now. Looks like there is now sign of it stopping.

Its becoming a weekly occurrence up here !

jeepers!
    Really coming down here still very heavy and it's dark grey to the east where it's coming from.

0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

The UK Met have issued a 'Be Prepared' warning for Eastern counties of Northern Ireland tommorow, Hopefully thats a sign of things to come!!

All this mornings snow showers seem to be going just south of Dundalk, Its depressing!!! :(

Hopefully things will improve as the Day goes on!!!! I will remain optimistic!:)

30acllv.png

Looking good at the moment for south meath and Drogheda!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slainte13

Near Trim Co Meath we are getting serious snowfall and accumulations anyone travelling this direction be warned very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

salonfire wrote: »
    Snowing really heavy in Letterkenny now. Looks like there is now sign of it stopping.

Its becoming a weekly occurrence up here !
    Yes it is indeed , now share some with the rest of Donegal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

slainte13 wrote: »
    Near Trim Co Meath we are getting serious snowfall and accumulations anyone travelling this direction be warned very dangerous

Any idea what it's like out in Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin direction?- have to get a bus home this evening. How much have you got on the ground now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just back from Blanch - 3 to 4c (on car thermo) there with some snow cover. A lot more snow on the ground here and 1c.

Light snow atm.

clouds are beginning to appear on the horizon now. is this a sign from the snow God??

i'll do a snow dance if i have too.

still snowing heavy here.
    0c

Close to an inch of fresh crunchy stuff on the tarmac in the last half hour alone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

All the snow in Tallaght seems to be melting. :(
    Hoping for another shower to top things up.
    We have about an inch but the sun is doing its dirty work on it.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Patience people, the best has yet to come (quote taken from a post on netweather):

I'm over in Galway, might have to wait a few days but it's looking good for Thursday when the wind turns NNE and we start getting some really cold air from the artic.

This chart for Thursday looks a lot like a polar low coming our way :eek:.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/EIRECO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]PPVK89.png

i don't think that's a polar low. however, were that chart to be realised it could be very interesting for the west and north west:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Any idea what it's like out in Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin direction?- have to get a bus home this evening. How much have you got on the ground now?

Dunboyne was fine this morning at 9, bit of snow cover as there was in Clonee at that time. All snow gone now in Clonee, in fact the ground is already almost dry from the strong wind so I'd imagine Dunboyne is currently similar. Will be back there at 1pm so will let you know.

So far so good (or bad depending on how you look at it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Disturbing lack of showers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Being in the same boat, I guess the upside is that the ground drying is probably a good thing for any more organised snow later (which seems to be forecast?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

dm09 wrote: »
    The UK Met have issued a 'Be Prepared' warning for Eastern counties of Northern Ireland tommorow, Hopefully thats a sign of things to come!!

All this mornings snow showers seem to be going just south of Dundalk, Its depressing!!! :(

Hopefully things will improve as the Day goes on!!!! I will remain optimistic!:)

30acllv.png

Looking good at the moment for south meath and Drogheda!!!

They all seem to be going south (and north) of north Dublin and city centre as well! Have only seen a couple of very light showers since whatever gave the slight covering early this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slainte13

Here is a picsnow 003.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement