Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bermenstein

The Sun has just come out! :eek: Whats goin on??????

Where was that big yellow sh.it last June, July & August???

I want Arctic conditions now!!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It's not fleeting here in Trim. Snowing since before 8 and with just a few interruptions since. Looking at the satellite map it seems to be thickening if anything and we are on it's flightpath. The brief 10 minutes of sun did start a melt but then it started again.

As I speak it has started like a blizzard outside. :):eek: Flakes as big as a fist!! Yahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport is reporting a temp of a temp of 3C and a DP of 0C. Getting a bit high!

I was about to comment that snow lying in the shade here has started to melt in the last hour or so :| I guess indirect sunlight could be doing that, but kind of didn't expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

Don't eat yellow snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

well sun shining and temp up to 4c

bit disappointed after such a good start this morning!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your confidence. I am certainly not confident anymore.

Today has not gone to plane, i expected deep convection coming off the Irish sea with even the chance of a rumble of thunder but nothing of the sort. Infact looks bone dry out there atm. Hopefully will change in coming hours but im becoming less and less confident as it would seem pretty much everything will conspire for it not to snow here, im sure there will be loads of snow everywhere else mind.

Don't know what map you are looking at. Bone dry?? Have a look at this: http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?html=zoom&xas=187&yas=179

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Valentia wrote: »
    Don't know what map you are looking at. Bone dry?? Have a look at this: http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?html=zoom&xas=187&yas=179

For North Dublin there is no snow in sight.

Isle of man seems to be the problem.

Cant see any snow for hours

For North Dublin there is no snow in sight.

Isle of man seems to be the problem.

Cant see any snow for hours

Ah right! That must be why North Dublin is famous for de vegetables so :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

to say this is turning out to be a dissapointment is an understatement, all we've had is a few hail showers over night, roads are soaking now, we've had a few showers most of them of light hail and none lasting longer than 90 seconds. absolute rubbish. Confidence completely broken now. Hopefully something will happen 2nite. If theres any more snow out of this cold snap its most likely gonna be from south dublin southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All major roads open following heavy snowfall - more on the way. Feb 02, 12:44 pm
    Donegal County Council says that all major roads effected by heavy snowfalls this morning are now clear but caution should still be exercised.

A number of schools in the northern part of the county have been forced closed while some events have also been canceled.

The council's Micheal McGarvey says that as the showers weren't forecast for this area they were caught by surprise..

Meanwhile Met Eireann forecaster Michael McAuliffe says that further falls of snow should be expected across the county today and will continue to accumulate in some areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slainte13

Gonzo wrote: »
    to see this is turning out to be a dissapointment is an understatement, all we've had is a few hail showers over night, roads are soaking now, we've had a few showers most of them of light hail and none lasting longer than 90 seconds. absolute rubbish. Confidence completely broken now. Hopefully something will happen 2nite.

We are getting heaviest snowfall of the day near trim it just keeps snowing here:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tis magical here. Just missed out on an ice day when the temperature climbed to 0.3°C, ironically during a hail shower.
    Usually after snowfall there is the drip drip of melting but not today.
    The trees are all plastered and waving their white brances in the breeze.
    I've arranged the next couple of days of work as driving after dark here is a suicide mission.
    The fridge is full, the freezer has supplies..life is good :)
    About 5cm outside I'd guestimate with presumably lots more to come. It doesnt get much better than this weatherwise :D (unless its thundersnow with a tornado mixed in but beggars can't be choosers :P )
    Current temp -0.7°C, Annamoe snow won't go!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

slainte13 wrote: »
    Anyone on the east coast is in for a pasting tonight no doubt about it:D:D
    Yes for several hours at least , unfortunately looks like turning back to sleet/rain by mid morning.

to say this is turning out to be a dissapointment is an understatement, all we've had is a few hail showers over night, roads are soaking now, we've had a few showers most of them of light hail and none lasting longer than 90 seconds. absolute rubbish. Confidence completely broken now. Hopefully something will happen 2nite. If theres any more snow out of this cold snap its most likely gonna be from south dublin southwards.

Amazing. It is seriously heavy now here in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Some people need to get a grip; you alternate between ridiculously over -excited ramping and depressed, wrist slitting pessimism. Snow will come tonight. I'm just happy to see that places which really never see snow like south county dublin, wicklow coast etc are seeing plenty today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah its already marginal, anything that hits the ground melts in seconds, rain 2moro methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bermenstein

Yeah what we need is a good tremor....maybe 4 on the Richter scale, coz it aint gonna snow.....Scabby recession clouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Supercell wrote: »
    Tis magical here. Just missed out on an ice day when the temperature climbed to 0.3°C, ironically during a hail shower.
    I've arranged the next couple of days of work as driving after dark here is a suicide mission.
    About 5cm outside I'd guestimate with presumably lots more to come. It doesnt get much better than this weatherwise :D (unless its thundersnow with a tornado mixed in but beggars can't be choosers :P )

Your ok for the food parcels for the time being i take it :D
    ........poxy sod.......;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah major letdown. In the past it's been warm sectors, or DP not cold enough, or not enough Irish sea activity, or marginal temps... this time when all seemed in place, in steps the fckin Isle of Man!!! :D

Taken a few minutes ago with phone. Doesn't really show how heavy it is.

3247559680_0385722f80.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

its snowing here all morning about an inch on the groumd.heavy at times.i reckon tonight we will get at least 4inches.hope so..im in edenderry co offaly.

On NW radar, it looks like a constant stream of snow showers has lined up for louth and north/west meath. Pity, it's just missing my home near Dunshaughlin but places up the road like Trim are getting plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just got a call from my wife the schools are closing in Navan and Kenstown is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nice snow in Waterford again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »

damn you supercell. damn you to hell:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

2.5 inches in trim and still snowing schools in the area have all been closed

ok no offence but whats the ages of everyone in this thread?

i'm only 21 and think of snow as a disaster.. dangerous roads for getting to work in the morning. i thought it was only kids with school that liked snow.

hopin it doesn't reach galway at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

BBC weather forecaster on the news just said Northeastern England could see 'half a metre of snow':eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yeah its already marginal, anything that hits the ground melts in seconds, rain 2moro methinks.

don't discount snow for your area tonight. according to the sky new weather forecaster the east of ireland would see the best of it by tonight

• Advertisement

Snowing/hailing in Dublin city centre at last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement