Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Got a beefy looking shower headed this way now not too far from you weathercheck. Precip over the Irish sea really picking up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Mena wrote: »
    Conditions over Newbridge have become decidedly schizophrenic. Sunny to overcast to snowing to sunny, constantly :mad:

1c / -1.2 DP

herself is a teacher in Newbridge and they sent the kids home at 1pm, hoping its nicely covered by the time i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

YAY SNOW IN CAVAN
    on the other hand my 3yr old now thinks its christmas again because it only snows at christmas lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 northtipp

Dry in most places. Further snow and hail showers in Tipperary and parts of Limerick, Waterford and Cork that border Tipperary. Bitterly cold.

Tonight

Scattered snow and hail showers in eastern areas, with snow becoming more widespread later tonight and early tomorrow. Very cold and frosty.

latest from met eireann for anyone liveing in these places

looking good i think ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That lot over England yep, thats tonights chance.

But we should be looking for snow bands in the Irish sea for the next few hours.

Gonna be embarassing when the family get home in the next few hours and laugh at me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Anyone know if there's a chance of getting a bit of snow in Malahide?
    We've had a few flurries of sleet and some hailstones but nothing that could actually be classed as snow.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think most eastern counties in ireland will have snow accumulate apart from some places right on the coast, but its utter guesswork as to who those will be, its very marginal at sea level. Some places will have considerable totals.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Why aren't those showers pushing over here. Is there any hope for us getting anything tonight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Light snow flurry now in Glanmire Co. Cork

nachos wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a chance of getting a bit of snow in Malahide?
    We've had a few flurries of sleet and some hailstones but nothing that could actually be classed as snow.

Cheers!

Try looking out yer window......now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Plenty of snow in Letterkenny..finally stopped now but its been going almost constantly since I got up this morning! Nothing much for the past 2 hours other than a few showers but more forecast for tonight so looks like I might get another day off college if all goes to plan!

That lot over England yep, thats tonights chance.

But we should be looking for snow bands in the Irish sea for the next few hours.

Gonna be embarassing when the family get home in the next few hours and laugh at me :(

With snow I think those radar images can be way out, Its moderate/heavy snow here right now but not according to that radar..then again i suppose it could just be a tiny heavy cell ??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Im in Malahide or just outside it and it is snowing here now...so id say your chances are good.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

gazzer wrote: »
    YAY>>> Snow has arrived in Cavan :D
    Ye, 5 minutes of it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Supercell wrote: »
    No rain here tonight :D
    heavy..yes heavy, proper heavy..not wussy sea level heavy, wintry precip here now (snow/hail/graupel mixture) WHITE OUT ...whaaahhoooo

I love the sneachta :D

Whats the weather like up there now?

Perhaps a shower approaching here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I'm supposed to drive from Cork to Dublin in about an hour's time. Would I be taking my life in my hand's doing that? It looks pretty bad up around Kildare/County Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

yyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy, have been lurking all day, wishing I was in Letterkenny and watching the sky with hope, and its just started snowing (very lightly ) in Cork.. am in Togher just outside the city:D

According to the radar its dry here...however this is the view out the kitchen window...

kitchen_view.jpg

Some snow grains here now.

Main chunk of shower looks to have headed to the north but some heavy looking clouds still to the NE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

to the poster asking about Malahide, I'm in Donabate and its coming down here pretty good since the last 10 mins or so. Been like that on and off since about 4am though so dunno if it'll settle. I would have thought that it would take a lot to sit though seeing as we're so close to the sea? Anyone want to correct me on that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

FINALLY got a snow shower that has flakes in it! not just hailstones, but as soon as it started its already clearing up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Visability down to 100m white out mad shower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Are we going to get SNOW here in Waterford tonight that will stay and not melt like what we had today.

Decent hail here!

Big shower headed for Wikclaw!

tailgunner wrote: »
    I'm supposed to drive from Cork to Dublin in about an hour's time. Would I be taking my life in my hand's doing that? It looks pretty bad up around Kildare/County Dublin.
    Is it important?
    now would be the time to leave and you will be there by 7 or 8 - that main road will be well gritted.
    Leaving it later and you risk driving through heavy snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Supercell wrote: »
    According to the radar its dry here...however this is the view out the kitchen window...

kitchen_view.jpg

Are you in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

snow stopped sun's back. oh well i didnt want snow here anyway :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

herself is a teacher in Newbridge and they sent the kids home at 1pm, hoping its nicely covered by the time i get home

It's started up again. I'd be pretty sure you'll be in sleigh territory when you get back. Me, I see myself at a 45 degree angle sliding between Newbridge and Naas to pickup the wife :D
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Is it important?
    now would be the time to leave and you will be there by 7 or 8 - that main road will be well gritted.
    Leaving it later and you risk driving through heavy snow.

From what I saw of that road this morning, I'd say skip it if there was any way you could...

• Advertisement

Driving after dark would be foolhardy tonight if it can be avoided, the roads are going to be terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement