Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well im getting excited now, my main concern will be precipitation, will they push far enough inland the reach my location, when is the best chance for snow for the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

An awesome 12z from gfs
    Looks very likely now that a nationwide snow event will take place sometime between early Tuesday and Wednesday
    Probably the best snow chance in a decade and now within reliable timeframe:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Well inland probably and the higher ground are going to continue to see the snow pile up.
    Coastal Louth Dublin,Wicklow and Wexford and waterford should see the precip change to sleety/rain by tuesday night going on this.
    Very slight changes in the actual may vary this.

Don't worry, there should be a smart recovery

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1441.png

The Brits won't like this..... :D
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1622.png

danni2 wrote: »
    Well im getting excited now, my main concern will be precipitation, will they push far enough inland the reach my location, when is the best chance for snow for the midlands?

Monday. Tuesday, possibly Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

yep, everything will depend on how much precipitation gets to our shores because the temperature situation for early next week really is looking good:D

gme-1-72.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Am I still ok for a snowball in Waterford on Monday!?!

i.e... Am I going to be able to say to myself.. This is proper snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Race meetings in the U.K. being cancelled for early next week due to the weather ..

Sorry thats horse racing..

Trotter wrote: »

I think so. Monday most likely for you given your inland a bit from the flow. Sunday night possibly but no one knows tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

I think we are all hoping for proper snow fall this time round. We could really do with a good dumping:D Everything is looking good, its all down to how much precip we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

An awesome 12z from gfs
    Looks very likely now that a nationwide snow event will take place sometime between early Tuesday and Wednesday

Yea great 12z for the whole of Ireland. I hope that is the outcome especially with the oncoming Northerly in midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Trotter wrote: »

It's still looking good, yes. Fingers crossed over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

An awesome 12z from gfs

hard to imagine snow with all this rain..what makes you think it won't be just the eastern half affected?

Things look good for early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hard to imagine snow with all this rain..what makes you think it won't be just the eastern half affected?

because if it is an active trough, it should be potent enough to give precipitation further inland, also it shoud be still cold enough further inland for it to fall as snow. well, i hope so anyway.

i'm tempted to put my travelling boots on:)

UKMO for Tuesday

Rukm961.gif

Very different to the GFS. Probrably better.

Ensemble mean for later on is really excellent

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-168.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Christ, I'm on nights next week, my colleagues will HATE me if I call a snowday/s and they have to work in my place :(
    I actually hope for once its not as bad as it looks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look at this fax at just 48 hours out, thats what ya like to see:D

fax48s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

As it inches closer to reality it's getting really exciting. What do you reckon, could this be the most exciting snow event in the history of this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Sky weather just showed some snow for the East Coast now for the first time (for Monday). Previously it's all been clear.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

can someone tell me if there is any snow on the mountains left now?

Yes ,just travelled through the hills of donegal ,and yes snow is still lying in some parts , and one of the hills has quite a lot of snow on it still ,even though its pouring rain here. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

As we get nearer to this, can anyone please suggest, hint, comment, advise, surmise, allude as to the chances of disruption in Dublin Airport at 6am on Monday morning! Please... :pac: I know a small amount of snow causes problems in Ireland, so I suppose my question is, is it likely to hit before that time on Monday morning? Ta.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    As we get nearer to this, can anyone please suggest, hint, comment, advise, surmise, allude as to the chances of disruption in Dublin Airport at 6am on Monday morning! Please... :pac: I know a small amount of snow causes problems in Ireland, so I suppose my question is, is it likely to hit before that time on Monday morning? Ta.

All going well showers should be heavy at this stage with snow beginning to accumulate in the east.

Felixdhc wrote: »

Long time until Monday and a lot can change between now and then, but if (and its a big IF) it plays out as forecast then it might be tricky, though you might just about get there before the main events later on..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

I know the exact details havent been comfirmed yet but i was wondering in terms of coldness and snowfall what would this upcoming spell compare to for the east? Jan 96, Jan 97, Dec 00, Mar 05?

Cornilius wrote: »
    I know the exact details havent been comfirmed yet but i was wondering in terms of coldness and snowfall what would this upcoming spell compare to for the east? Jan 96, Jan 97, Dec 00, Mar 05?

I'd say February 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ok should I or should I not get the snow chains off daddy ? I honestly think they were last used the year he built the house - 1981 maybe ????????

ECM 72hrs......... This could just happen people :eek:

Recm721.gif

Maybe the 60hrs UKM :eek::pac::D

Rukm602.gif

Jaysus WC you might need to get those rulers out in the front garden!!
    I can only imagine the quantities of the white stuff here!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

metcheck (often totally unreliable) have updated with alot of snow for meath over the coming week up to next friday. BBC showing snow or sleet for most of the country next monday and tuesday.

Snowdepth rulers at the ready:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement