Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Villain wrote: »
    Watch those roads if anyone is heading to Carlow

Indeed, rush hour traffic is going to be a total disaster tonight and I bet tomorrow morning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Blizzard like now:eek: Everything white!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

darkman2 wrote: »
    WC you see that streamer just to the north of you? - that's what im in. Fantastic snow. Bit of hail at times but in a way it's helping it to settle. And it is settling.......

I got most of it DM.

Lovely fluffy snow then hail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

So to the experts, are ye saying that that mass of precipitation over england now is heading our way and will fall as snow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SNOWAGE IN FINGLAS..........+ STICKAGE = WOOAGE!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

My only concern about tonight is that it was -1.1°C today during the day and after nightfall in the snow its only -0.3°C, was hoping that would fall rapidly over snow covered ground, hmm must check the uppers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Got a decent snow ahower just there. Grass and cars are now white and the next shower is on the way. That snow was pretty blizzard like for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Very light snow showers on and off here since about 3 o clock. Starting to stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Are we going to get much tonight?
    What time do we expect it to start snowing?

Total mahem in Arklow town
    Cars spinning in circles,crashing into each other stuck on hills.
    I have 4 wheel drive and was spinning!

Still snowing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really hope so!!

Coming down nicely in Blanchardstown now, looks like it's starting to stick.

I was going to do overtime tonight til about 8 but am wondering if the roads will be a bit dangerous by then??

so far roads are grand as we've had no real snow or ice today, not even a frost here. Huge shower skirting past to the east of me one mile away heading towards blanch behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Is that big echo over North West England going to hit here in the next few hours?

BigCon wrote: »
    Are we going to get much tonight?
    What time do we expect it to start snowing?

Dublin Airport taf would indicate they expect it around 23:00 there. I'm concerned about temperatures though, its very marginal.
    That said heavy precip can drag down temperatures in its own right, may be a rain/sleet /snow/sleet event at sea level.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Everything white, finally!

Yeah it's kicked off now alright.

Many surfaces are white now here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yet another shower, -0.3C with a DP of -1.6 here

Supercell wrote: »
    Dublin Airport taf would indicate they expect it around 23:00 there. I'm concerned about temperatures though, its very marginal.
    That said heavy precip can drag down temperatures in its own right, may be a rain/sleet /snow/sleet event at sea level.

Is the temp going to increase when the system arrives?

That radar is mental, never saw precip moving like it in recent times though I suppose in the 80's this was a typical pattern. later tonight has the potential to be awsome up and down the Irish east coast counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Was like a blizard in Arklow at half 4 when I was leaving work......nothing worth talking about in Conary :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

snowing in castleknock for the last 30mins,everyplace white now and still coming down:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

That radar is mental, never saw precip moving like it in recent times though I suppose in the 80's this was a typical pattern. later tonight has the potential to be awsome up and down the Irish east coast counties.

Which site are you using?

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Is the temp going to increase when the system arrives?

I'm guess yes, initially then falling back, all depends on intensity, if its heavy may not rise by much at all if even then fall, if its light initially will be probably drizzle at sea level before turning to snow at least for a while.
    That said temps may fall enough for it to be snow all the time..its ultra marginal by the coast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

In Park West, snow coming down extremely heavy for the last hour or so, Roads that are not being driven on are completely covered, it should be fun trying to get home tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Skies cleared here now and snow has stopped, thankfully......bloody snow! (:pac:).

DP and temp are dropping now, tis -0.1c and a DP of -1c, gonna be dicey on them roads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Almost in blizard conditions here in Tallaght now.
    It had melted but now seems to be topping its self up nicely.
    If it keeps up we could have some great snow depths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its the opposite story up here..nothing for a good few hours now. Still plenty on the ground from earlier but it looks finished now, blue skies & I cant see us having any more. Oh well, it was good when it lasted, got my day off college so im happy:D

I'm guess yes, initially then falling back, all depends on intensity, if its heavy may not rise by much at all if even then fall, if its light initially will be probably drizzle at sea level before turning to snow at least for a while.
    That said temps may fall enough for it to be snow all the time..its ultra marginal by the coast!!

So the potential to be pretty good then... I feel positive, tonights the night :D

Seriously dark clouds on the way again, last shower stopped about 10 mins ago but the wind is picking up now, matter of mins I reckon before the next lot.

Next shower just about to hit - WC this will hit you aswell. Really dark clouds these!

Amazing looking seeing the black layer approaching!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Dew points looking marginal for later by the coast

bd497883252.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement