Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow the radar is impressive, that stuff should pep up over the Irish sea, if its snowing, its gonna be snowing hard.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy graupel and snowflakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Supercell wrote: »
    Thats a streetlight.

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Left Blanchardstown at 5.30 and the N3 was absolutely lethal until the dual carriageway ended then suddenly there was no snow on the roads! Scary stuff though, all the cars were doing about 30mph and visibility was very bad. Is it still like that around D15 does anyone know? It all came down very suddenly there earlier, within about 45 mins.

It's been steadily like that since about 5 here..there's a good covering now. Although I think I can hear hail now on my window :? Will have to go have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

How much snow is lying up around laragh and kippure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Thats a streetlight.

:D lol

Jeez, must be over-excitement ;)

Any update on the prospects for tonight? Especially for wicklow?

Inland with elevation circa 100 metres + tonite could see 15cm (60%), 5km inland may see 15cm (30%), by the coast may see 15cm(5%) ..the precip will be there..the numbers are very marginal.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Wow the radar is impressive, that stuff should pep up over the Irish sea, if its snowing, its gonna be snowing hard.

What radar you using Supercell? Trying to keep track of the showers heading to us here in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

looks as if the main band will reach dublin earlier than expected according to this radar:

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=2009&maand=02&uur=20&minuut=00&dag=02&id=44028834&bliksem=0

i'd say sleet at best on the coast and snow inland

atgate wrote: »
    :D lol

Jeez, must be over-excitement ;)

YES STREETLIGHTS ARE GREAT, VERY EASILY MISTAKEN FOR LIGHTNING APARENTLY:D

• Advertisement

How much snow is lying up around laragh and kippure?

About 8cm here so probably roughly the same in Laragh though precip is usually heavier there so maybe a little more there. Sure as hell wouldn't want to be driving around there (or here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Left town at 5:20 and only home now- N3 was absolute chaos. It was at a standstill from castleknock to clonee. At times it was almost blizzard conditions but I still think people were being way too cautious. It was really accumulating from north circular road out with a significant amount on the dual carriageway considering it should have been well gritted Out here, there are a few cm's on the ground and it's still snowing.
    :D:D
    I'd say if I got a later bus I wouldn't have gotten home till tonight sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

Exceptionally hard freeze here in Letterkenny at the minute. Street is treacherous. Expecting more snow in the next hour based on http://www.sat24.com/gb

Another snow day would be nice, had 2 week before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Waited 5 years to take a pic of snow in my own back garden....:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I see the met still feel snow tonight for Dublin -

Dublin
    02 February 2009- updated at 18:00
    Tonight

Very cold. Hail, sleet and snow at times - especially later in the night, could result in significant accumulations.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

MUSEIST wrote: »
    YES STREETLIGHTS ARE GREAT, VERY EASILY MISTAKEN FOR LIGHTNING APARENTLY:D

Did I say lightning? Of course I meant to say lighting... see :)

(I hope people realise that the light-n-ing and light-ing were in fact different things and I'm not a total twat)

Supercell why are you not confident of snow at the coast, snow showers here all day , unless its supposed to get milder overnight, is it:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Plenty of snow covering the ground here in Lucan now.
    It all seemed to unlikely when I left work early at 2.45 .... decided to go home and finish my work there in case the weather took a turn for the worst. Looks like I made the right decision. Wonder wht it will be like in the morning - have to head to Maynooth. I have a feeling not too many people who are due to be there will make it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I can confirm that the snow I ordered for Waterford city has ARRIVED! :)

The mods here truly are excellent at delivering the kind of weather we'd like. Can I be the first to request a 3 month spell of 20+c blue skies from June onwards, with light showers at night to keep the reservoirs looking well.

Im hoping for a right pasting in Waterford tonight because the temp outside is -2 and the water from the day has frozen and anything thats falling now is sticking. I'm about 10km in from the coast.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

atgate wrote: »
    Did I say lightning? Of course I meant to say lighting... see :)

(I hope people realise that the light-n-ing and light-ing were in fact different things and I'm not a total twat)

Speaking of lightning, sitting watching tv and I could've sworn i saw a flash of lightning. Heard no thunder though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks so good everywhere.

Just wet here really with slush on cars and some snow in corners and on grass.

The grainy snow seems to create a wet mess.

Think thats the lot for the showers here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm about 8km in-land (drawing a straight line to the coast), at about 60m elevation (according to Google Earth).

Hmmm. *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Some fruitcake here in carlow has his xmas lights turned on outside his house. Polish nutter... Any bit of snow must send them on a happy buzz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Exceptionally hard freeze here in Letterkenny at the minute. Street is treacherous. Expecting more snow in the next hour based on http://www.sat24.com/gb

Another snow day would be nice, had 2 week before last.

Good stuff, I like the look of that sat!

Its been about 4 hours now without anything significant. The Met Eireann radar still has nothing on it but its freezing outside so anything at all should stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Is there something brewing in the Irish sea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

jonny_b wrote: »
    Some fruitcake here in carlow has his xmas lights turned on outside his house. Polish nutter... Any bit of snow must send them on a happy buzz....
    we want pictures lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

the main band is on its way! you can even see it on the crappy met eireann radar!

latest_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I see on the met eireann for ulster. snow turning to rain tomorrow, hmm dissapointing, of course the snow still has to come here in south donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Looks good for us over this way. The band is on its way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Lmao @ polish nutter, good lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement