Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

After skating my way up the Naas road I'm disappointed to see feck all snow in Blackrock :mad:

What are the chances I wonder.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To busy looking at this bloody forum and the thermos to notice that it is snowing again with good size flakes! 1.0c - could be wet stuff!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

leincar wrote: »
    Can I know show my complete ignorance of the most enjoyable thread I've come across in a long time, but how big could this event be? I arrived home from Dublin at 3.30 p.m. .Right now and I know its not scientific but the roof of my car is to a depth of 14 cm. I'm loving every second of it, just curious. Also it seems so random. Villian is about 6 miles away from me and I'm showing almost 2 inches of extra snow. Is this usual? Cheers.

Yep. Variations are often sharp between close locations especially when it comes to snow showers. For example im only a few miles from Dublin. Alot of areas there have a covering but now ive literally nothing because im nearer the sea.....this is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can I know show my complete ignorance of the most enjoyable thread I've come across in a long time, but how big could this event be? I arrived home from Dublin at 3.30 p.m. .Right now and I know its not scientific but the roof of my car is to a depth of 14 cm. I'm loving every second of it, just curious. Also it seems so random. Villian is about 6 miles away from me and I'm showing almost 2 inches of extra snow. Is this usual? Cheers.
    Leincar http://www.flickr.com/photos/35000228@N06/3248657048/

I have 10" on grass 4" on table that melted mostly away, its hit and miss 5 miles to my site and I had more earlier, where are u?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's started to snow again here. The question is, for how long???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Damn, for once i am jealous of the people of Dublin!!

No snow here in Limerick! All I have seen so far is a thin covering of sleet!! Was pretty sweet all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Villain wrote: »
    Leincar http://www.flickr.com/photos/35000228@N06/3248657048/

I have 10" on grass 4" on table that melted mostly away, its hit and miss 5 miles to my site and I had more earlier, where are u?

I'm in Ballon and its chucking it down again.

It's started here now...........sleet with the odd flake but very small perhaps some drizzle too.

I'm in Ballon and its chucking it down again.
    good stuff, area that was in shade all day showing almost 6"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

If I stand outside my house, there's a dead silence. No cars on the roads around Naas. Im just in off the main road into Naas from the N7. More snow could really do damage as up to an hour ago there was still no sign of any council people doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very windy here now.

I'd say it feels not the nicest out there right now!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hammering down now with heavy wind, looks again like a mix of hail and graupel (which I have since looked up to identify!)

Really wild out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's started here now...........sleet with the odd flake but very small perhaps some drizzle too.

where are you based darkman?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Not a single flake here in Galway all day:(

Yis lucky bastids.

where are you based darkman?

Near Malahide. So basically right on the coast.

Villain wrote: »
    good stuff, area that was in shade all day showing almost 6"

Amazing, good stuff, amazing the way its skips over the coastal districts and dumps it inland.

Precip looks not much at the moment, not much at all.

I doubt i'll be seeing anything.

I can see this light stuff going inland and falling as proper snow and giving a nice fall.

At the coast looks like it will just fall as graupel or rain.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    If I stand outside my house, there's a dead silence. No cars on the roads around Naas. Im just in off the main road into Naas from the N7. More snow could really do damage as up to an hour ago there was still no sign of any council people doing anything.

The N7 naas road was very dangerous. My car would slide at the slightest nudge of the throttle. There was a good few smashes along the way.

Out bound there is a huge queue of traffic stuck beind trucks that can't make it up the small hill at the Poitin still. Madness out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

DWCommuter wrote: »

Same here..my street is pretty busy, even during the evening/night, but it's sooo quiet right now. Like that guinness ad :p

Not much happening here right now, weather-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Amazing, good stuff, amazing the way its skips over the coastal districts and dumps it inland.

Whats the general rule with how far from the coast ya need to be for the snow to settle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Looking out the window it looks very window and something is falling, looks like it's just hail/graupel

Precip looks not much at the moment, not much at all.

I doubt i'll be seeing anything.

I can see this light stuff going inland and falling as proper snow and giving a nice fall.

At the coast looks like it will just fall as graupel or rain.
    Keep faith WC, I think you will see lying snow :D

That radar looks busy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

wow really 14cm in dublin? nice :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Lashing snow here at the moment, and after getting very windy too........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

ronoc wrote: »
    The N7 naas road was very dangerous. My car would slide at the slightest nudge of the throttle. There was a good few smashes along the way.

Out bound there is a huge queue of traffic stuck beind trucks that can't make it up the small hill at the Poitin still. Madness out there.
    here's the Hard evidence, nothing moved while i was snapping for about 15 mins
    A77E1AE8D58E46999BDDA9D82BC769B0-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

This one about 5:30 this evening

20090202_44l.jpg

This one about 15 mins later

20090202_88a.jpg

After the shower stopped
    20090202_85a.jpg

After the kids had been out for a couple of hours. My 10 year old daughter gives some perspective to the size of the snowman.

20090202_155a.jpg

What are the chances for more snow during the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

ronoc wrote: »

How long ago was that?

Looks like a miserable bitter wet sleety windy night for east coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

in clondalkin at least 10 cm of snow out there -

the n4 was a skating rink on the way home from work - an hour and a half from leixlip to liffey vally s.c !!! wtf !!

just finished walking the dog there very surreal out :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

soccerc wrote: »
    here's the Hard evidence, nothing moved while i was snapping for about 15 mins
    A77E1AE8D58E46999BDDA9D82BC769B0-500.jpg
    Thanks, the N3 was chaos too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement