Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

RTE news are afriad to forcast snow after forcasting loads and me not getting it through out January, and me sending all those angry letters.

They are playing it same. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Does anyone hate the way people pretend to hate snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I personally thank that forecast.

Why?

Well if it had of ramped it up then our excitement would of being so much we might have burst.

At least now were less rampy and by the time we hit rampy again tomorrow the snow will be just hours away :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

lol, dont go OTT with this. Firstly there won't be "sleety rain" - that's nonsense. The indicators are well inside those needed for snow....

Secondly, before everyone starts stocking up on supplies after reading this thread, it would be best to wait till tomorrow evening and be realistic about what is expected. Currently it looks like snow from the early hours of Monday morning through till Tuesday morning then probrably more sleety muck after that - unless your Supercell of course, and live at 200m. Things can still change and I don't think it's right to be gearing people up for something that in the end may not happen as bad (or good depending on your point of view!) as is suggested. It will just make us all look a little foolish in the end.

There will be snow but just keep a bit of reality too. People will be able to get to work on Monday and a national emergency won't be declared on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Hope you are right,Oh please be right,I think with all this resession talk,a little bit of magic might cheer up a few folk?Do you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Sorry folks but the 18z look more a frostfest than a snowfest , in other words , a big downgrade , just my reading of the charts and i am quite
    happy if im proven wrong ......
    (Thu pm)

Well thats my already 'dodgy' reputation firmly down the sink then :D,
    have to admit its looking very good for the East in the coming week , might even see the odd flake eventually arriving here :p, (ye Eastern'ers
    dont be greedy now).

and supercell looks like having 'the' premier seat to the whole event ,
    grrrrrrrrrrrr ........( jealously shakes fist at sky).

These ensembles are pretty impressive. Sub -5 till the 10th of Febuary.

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

London and Manchester are balmy by comparison.

For the uninitiated - anything under or at -5 is good enough for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

holly1 wrote: »
    Does anyone hate the way people pretend to hate snow.
    YES I DO, secretly everyone loves snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey people , dublin hasnt gotten any decent snow in a good while now , any of yas think it will snow heavily here?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Timistry

Lol RTE always afraid to ramp anything, Sky news has snow for the east Coast. Im in Leeds at the moment and on Sky they meantioned a whiteout for next tuesday with a massive windchill!! Will keep ye posted!

• Advertisement

Ye rte always get it wrong......i do climate science in UCD and our lecturer always tells us not to trust them anymore ! ha ... He showed us a chart this morning , he said its lookin good once we get enough percipitation! :D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hey people , dublin hasnt gotten any decent snow in a good while now , any of yas think it will snow heavily here?
    lol ,this thread is mainly about dublin ,thats where the snow is gona land! :pac::P

AH NO DONT SAY TAT!.....tats a definite kinda answer!

I dont want to get me hopes uP!
    2 weeks bac they had snow forecast each nite for dublin and in the paper for MAINLY DUBLin......and wat happens?.....SLEET............then rain............then WETNESS!

SO ye IM GONNA HUNT U DOWN "PANGEA" PERSON iF UR WRONG! .......haha:D ................IM SERIOUS!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    AH NO DONT SAY TAT!.....tats a definite kinda answer!

I dont want to get me hopes uP!
    2 weeks bac they had snow forecast each nite for dublin and in the paper for MAINLY DUBLin......and wat happens?.....SLEET............then rain............then WETNESS!

SO ye IM GONNA HUNT U DOWN "PANGEA" PERSON iF UR WRONG! .......haha:D ................IM SERIOUS!
    lol, I was only joking , there will never be snow in Dublin!
    :P

*hides behind the curtains

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4398431/Two-inches-of-snow-forecast-for-Britain.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132144/Britain-braced-snow-Siberian-winds-Arctic-freeze-makes-comeback.html

^^that one says it is expected to last until next weekend. :)

"According to forecasters, the cold snap will last until at least next weekend"

OK then iF IT DOES SNOW THEN.........ILL HUNT U DOWN FOR BEIN WRONG TWICE?!? ha

EVEN IF U ARE BEHIND CURTAINS...! :pac: :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Any change of tone from Evelyn in the 21:30 forecast?
    I just missed it.

Sleety rain earlier is just taking the piss

Well thats it then , the lovely Evelyn entering ramping territory on rte
    9.30 weather , still a little short on detail but nevertheless the next week could produce some memorable weather for many of us :) ,
    ITS OFFICIAL .....:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im beginning to think we will definitely see some now but I dont think its gonna end up as widespread as the 1982/1987/1991 chaos. Most eastern areas could see 2 to 3 inchs of snow on the ground - but that is nothing compared to the snow we used to get in the 80s. Roads will be dangerous and it will be very cold, 2 to 3 inchs in low lying areas and maybe up to 6+ in mountain regions. But what I dont expect is an 80s style armageddon were
    - Schools remained closed for a week or 2
    - were ice formed both inside and outside windows
    - were pipes frooze everywhere
    - there wont be neighbours putting money into a pot to organise their own private jcb hire to clear the road from 10 foot snowdrifts so that we could walk 2 miles to get milk and bread (we did this in 1982 and 1987)
    - Dublin Airport wont close down for a week
    - there wont be week long esb outages
    - there wont be an entire week without public transport

^^ all these things happened in my childhood during the 80s and 1991 but I very much doubt this cold snap will bring anything close to the scale of those points i listed above. We will do very well to get 3 to 4 inchs and that should be more than enough snow for anyone. I also woulnt be banking on an entire week off work next week, maybe 1 or 2 days at most if were lucky.

On another note it looks like rte are starting to look at the cold snap in the longer term, they mentioned even colder conditons for next thursday/friday than it will be on monday/tuesday so plenty of play for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Meh, why do i get the feeling that i will have to climb Carrauntuohil and look to the east, in search of this fabled white shtuff...

• Advertisement

Im beginning to wonder are we headed for a more serious snow event on Tuesday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn902.png

The winds actually go off sure in the East at times and during the precip inland temps are -2 and -3 early Tuesday morning and ranging 1 - 2C countrywide during Tuesday. The upper temps are condusive to frontal snow. Have to watch that carefully.

Still on for Sunday night/Monday

Meh, why do i get the feeling that i will have to climb Carrauntuohil and look to the east, in search of this fabled white shtuff...

One shower.........just one measly stray shower down here .....
    and were in business :rolleyes:.....lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

hey guys what are the chances of sum snow in limerick

Mothman wrote: »
    Any change of tone from Evelyn in the 21:30 forecast?
    I just missed it.

Sleety rain earlier is just taking the piss
    Ev found her form tonight.
    She put up a chart that looked like tonights ecm and predicted even colder snowier weather for the end of the week showing air coming down from scandi with -16c at it's origin.

Ev found her form tonight.
    She put up a chart that looked like tonights ecm and predicted even colder snowier weather for the end of the week showing air coming down from scandi with -16c at it's origin.

Stunning is the word i think , if you gave the kids (like us:D) a pack of blue crayons and a map of Western Europe could they have done much better lol.

Here's a snow forecast site I've just come across.
    No idea of the source of the data behind predictions, but interesting viewing none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

This is looking very interesting. GFS is forecasting precip for most of next week especially Mon/Tue. Could be a major event. Especially here in the hills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's tempting to push all in given the set-up, the snow potential never really drops below marginal at the worst of times on the GFS and that model is the least attractive at the moment (around late Tues early Wed) then it reloads, so at the very least there should be two decent snowfall periods, one Monday-Tuesday, the next Thursday-Saturday, with a sleety interruption.

And it could be even better than that.

The snow that falls on Monday-Tuesday could fight off the milder conditions circulating around the low, keep a bit of snow going, and that would just feed into the next round being a better producer.

Would say 10-20 cm potential for much of eastern Ireland, with 20-30 cm now an outside chance, certainly on the higher elevations. Let's hope it holds together, I have already seen this sort of snow in late December so it's your turn.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Just seen it. Ev did stutter the word rain for Tues, but I don't think she meant it. It somehow came out but followed it with snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement