Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Alicat wrote: »
    I just have stupid spitty rain with a bit of sleet! :(

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Where are you?

Malahide, very close to the sea :(

Tactical wrote: »
    If you have a choice then NO. Too easy to get hurt or wreck your vehicle.

Last wintery snap we had I came across two accidents on two mornings. Both on straight stretches, one with an overturned car.

If I had a choice then the answer is no, but I have to go out in such conditions because its part of my job:mad:

Thanks so much for that.. I really am confused, skidded just around the corner tonight, instead of turning the car to the left off the road I guided it into the empty lane on my right, flashed the lights so the car ahead saw me, the guy in front of me sped up to 25 and then braked suddenly..

I dont think I should go..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

The cracken - any sign of any melting snow in your area yet? May have to travel through there tomorrow morning and am wondering about conditions....

Alicat wrote: »
    Malahide, very close to the sea :(

You can have some of my snow :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Tactical wrote: »
    If you have a choice then NO. Too easy to get hurt or wreck your vehicle.

Last wintery snap we had I came across two accidents on two mornings. Both on straight stretches, one with an overturned car.

If I had a choice then the answer is no, but I have to go out in such conditions because its part of my job:mad:

Great one this morning...

Hubby 3 car pile up - he 1st , nice man second & a dope 3rd. She ploughed into back of nice man - she was afraid to break ( as in didnt put foot near break ) just in case she skidded ! what a tit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    ok to me it looks like the precipiation band is starting to indensify slightly out in the irish sea, the echoes looks slighly deeper on the ukmo radar and the snow here itself has gone slightly heavier after just a misty effort till now.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

snowing in Dunboyne Co.Meath now and non-stop for the last 7 hours since 5pm, dusty upwards snow at times, but nonstop, squally snow now, is there a difference maybe not

Thats what Im afraid of! Someone else getting messy and panicky on the roads!

Thanks so much for that.. I really am confused, skidded just around the corner tonight, instead of turning the car to the left off the road I guided it into the empty lane on my right, flashed the lights so the car ahead saw me, the guy in front of me sped up to 25 and then braked suddenly..

I dont think I should go..

no - dont do it
    My boss took me off road tomo !

• Advertisement

Nice boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Francis on Sky news weather said wales and East Ireland would likely get a big dumping of snow tomorrow ! Hope he's right!

Lets hope he is wrong and its the mid-west!

Nice boss!

Yep - sent the Gorey staff home @ 11 this morning & they wont be in tomo. Me off road in case of accidents.. he has a point - whats point in getting a knock by taking a chance car wouldbe off road for days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Good times - proper, decent snow falling in Ardee, some actual big flakes instead of the scittery ould rubbish that was falling.

Bad times - it isn't sticking :|

Why oh why won't it stick?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Wind and rain since 20:30... Greystones... May just go to bed and cross my fingers..

embee wrote: »

Why oh why won't it stick?!
    Perhaps you angered the snow gods....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 crazychick25

jenzz wrote: »
    Great one this morning...

Hubby 3 car pile up - he 1st , nice man second & a dope 3rd. She ploughed into back of nice man - she was afraid to break ( as in didnt put foot near break ) just in case she skidded ! what a tit
    :rolleyes: omg what an absolute muppet!!!! x

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mulhuddart D15.
    Had that misty non-snow for a few hours, but some bigger flakes have started falling again in the last 20 minutes.

Am I right or wrong to think that instead of breaking you should just coast on the clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You can have some of my snow :p

Gaaaah! :p Go to work will ya! :p

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: omg what an absolute muppet!!!! x

Big time thats what he said to her while trying to restrain the other guy from thumping her !!!

even worse - thats what she actually told them !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just peeked outside - snow is falling, light stuff. Disturbingly, water is flowing from my gutters to the downpipe - it appears it's melting. I've the heating running flat out, the fire lighting and the stove on the go, so maybe that's causing the melt despite the decent insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Not sure of official boards etiquette, but surely chats about how to stop a car are for other fora?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The cracken

The cracken - any sign of any melting snow in your area yet? May have to travel through there tomorrow morning and am wondering about conditions....
    still snowing lightly now but according to forecast i would'nt, the roads at mo are quiet bad.

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Not sure of official boards etiquette, but surely chats about how to stop a car are for other fora?

Just a bit of friendly banter while we pass the time snow watching !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm off now but it's snowing nicely (none of that snizzle crap) and accumulating again- also, metoffice radar shows intensification of precip NE of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Am I right or wrong to think that instead of breaking you should just coast on the clutch?

If you have a death wish! Better to drop a gear (or gears), let the engine slow you down and brake gently. Keep distance to avoid need for sudden stops..

Oh, and still snowing here in D16

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowing starting to get quite heavy now:)
    fingers crossed it will stay like this through the night

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

crosstownk wrote: »
    Just peeked outside - snow is falling, light stuff. Disturbingly, water is flowing from my gutters to the downpipe - it appears it's melting. I've the heating running flat out, the fire lighting and the stove on the go, so maybe that's causing the melt despite the decent insulation.

Same thing here in North Wexford crosstownk

(except without the decent insulation ! :o)

Although snow pace has picked up a little in the last while, bigger flakes now and drier than earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snow getting a bit heavier here in longford. still nothing special

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement