Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I love this thread, isn't it crazy how snow turns everyone into big children?? :D

There's a nice layer of snow on the ground in Dunshaughlin even though it was fairly wet. Just had some thunder there and snow's falling again lightly but steadily.

Left Blanchardstown at 5.30 and the N3 was absolutely lethal until the dual carriageway ended then suddenly there was no snow on the roads! Scary stuff though, all the cars were doing about 30mph and visibility was very bad. Is it still like that around D15 does anyone know? It all came down very suddenly there earlier, within about 45 mins.

Came a similar route to yourself.
    Got bus from Bus Aras at 5.45 heading to Kells. Scheduled bus time to Kells is 1 hr 25 mins. At this stage I hadn't yet passed Blanchardstown. It was bumper to bumper from the North Circular road just past Mount Joy prison all up the Navan road and past the Blanchardstown roundabout. I got to Kells at 20.20 - a journey of 2 hours 35 minutes. :(
    It was quite heavy until Dunshaughlin but conditions were much better after and barely a patch on the ground in Navan. Kells was completely clear. Then started snowing lightly soon after I arrived home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Gonzo wrote: »
    snowing starting to get quite heavy now:)
    fingers crossed it will stay like this through the night

ok whats your predictions ?????? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Heavy rain shower now....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wow still no snow where i am ,such anticpation , I need to go to letterkenny tomoro but its looking doubtful if the snow comes that the warnings predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Just went out for a walk as I don't know when I'll next get that nice snowy crunch underfoot. The grass and untouched footpaths still had snow (~5cm) but under trees and where walked upon it was quite slushy.

At first it was sleety snow => sleet => sleety rain :(

• Advertisement

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=exp

This is what I meant by heading up then swinging back down ... ( sorry i havent a clue but looks nice )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

We have had over 3 inches in Newbridge Today , well thats whats on my driveway !

Took me 5 and a half hours to get from Sandyford to Newbridge !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

McSandwich wrote: »
    If you have a death wish! Better to drop a gear (or gears), let the engine slow you down and brake gently. Keep distance to avoid need for sudden stops..

Oh, and still snowing here in D16

+1 take it easy and go slow and keep your distance, as this thread proves we have very little experience with these kind of conditions - it's not like driving on wet roads.

Don't coast. Use the highest gear the conditions allow. Try not to brake and don't brake hard - if you do release and reapply quick and gentle. Gear down, use the accelerator and keep some control of it as that is your only traction control - as McSandwich said let the engine, not the brakes, slow you down.

BTW Jenzz it's Catty Gallagher ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 20somethings

Still snowing here in D6 and about 5cm everywhere I look...

F-Stop wrote: »
    +1 take it easy and go slow and keep your distance, as this thread proves we have very little experience with these kind of conditions - it's not like driving on wet roads.

Don't coast. Use the highest gear the conditions allow. Try not to brake and don't brake hard - if you do release and reapply quick and gentle. Gear down, use the accelerator and keep some control of it as that is your only traction control - as McSandwich said let the engine, not the brakes, slow you down.

BTW Jenzz it's Catty Gallagher ;)

Well she looks savage right now !! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

I got home to clonsilla and connot believe how much snow has stuck to the ground. And that the real stuff is still falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

There is a fair amount of snow coming down in Nava now. I had a 5.45 hour journey home from Ballsbridge including a traffic jam of 3 hours in the phoenix park and then driving on solid frozen ice in the n3.

In all that time I witnessed lots of differant types of snow needless to say I will not be going to work tomorow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jenzz wrote: »
    http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=exp

This is what I meant by heading up then swinging back down ... ( sorry i havent a clue but looks nice )

Arrrgh doesnt even touch limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

jenzz wrote: »
    Well she looks savage right now !! lol

Excellent. If she's still savage in the morning I'm going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Snowing still but it's not sticking and I'm going to bed.

Half hoping for a blanket of white in the morning but realistically I think my snow window has been and gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

it's not really snow. it's just sleet and it's not sticking. It might get heavier though so here's hoping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Sleety auld stuff whipping round in the wind here now and definitely a thaw on but it would still freeze bits off a metal primate.

The snow might have let me down today but the thread didn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 northtipp

just starting light snow here in nenagh temp -1.5 first snow we had all day all year for that matter oh well lets see how good it get in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

nice big fluffy flakes bucketing down in leixlip at the minute,adding to the couple of inches already stuck from earlier.will be interesting to see what its like in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

guys its only past midnight, there is 8 hours till the morning(when the sun rises), anything can happen in that time period;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heavy snow here, deep coverage outside, looking forward to daybreak to seeing just how much but its a lot!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Whattheheck

Snow just started again in Letterkenny. What fell today is nice and crunchy so there should be a wee layer by the morning again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Agghh, still not even a flake in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Snow just started again in Letterkenny. What fell today is nice and crunchy so there should be a wee layer by the morning again :P

Where in Letterkenny, looking outside don't see much snow

F-Stop wrote: »
    Excellent. If she's still savage in the morning I'm going nowhere.

have a look www.brayweather.com

We'regoing to work by looks of it :mad:

keep us updated on letterkenny ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Any updates on the weather in Drogheda or surrounding areas?? I know there were snow showers there today, but I don't know how things are currently. I assume the usual suspects (Tullyallen, Monasterboice) got more of the white stuff?

I see the lightish snow which turned to rain, has come back as snow, but it's not cold enough to stick. I couldn't be arsed to follow this, if I wake up during the night I'll stick my head through the curtain.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm in Rathdrum and we have a complete white out. its unreal. best snow in years, im staying up for an other beer to lap up this historical event.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

weatherview coming on bbc 1 in next min, might be worth a look

• Advertisement

I'm in Rathdrum and we have a complete white out. its unreal. best snow in years, im staying up for an other beer to lap up this historical event.
    lol brillant ,but wont u be tired tomoro ? :confused:

I need beer also. In 2000 ,the snow was so bad that the pub had no beer cuz beer lorries couldnt make it to our town , all we needed was ronnie drew to sing the song. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement