Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

More snow for thursday

Rtavn661.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just started to snow! 1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Mmcd wrote: »
    About three inches and still snowing
    Wont go to school even if it is open :D

where are you based? bit of snow in noth cork...nothing to grinds things to a halt as had been hoped!

suppose it will be all rain whatever falls for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

embee wrote: »
    Grand gonker.

There has been no snow here, none thats stuck anyhow. I drove to Drogheda this morning and the far side of Collon from here (Monasterboice? Where Lavin Park is anyways) was treacherous, but in and around Ardee is fine.

edit : still snowing lightly here, is sticking to car bonnets and wooden fencing, but that's it.

Thanks Embee wonder what its like this morning. My car has still at least 3 inches of snow on it but the grass is starting to peek up through the snow. I have to head from Drogheda to Ardee this morning!!!
    Looks like it didnt snow here during the night.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just started to snow! 1.5c
    Snowing here for the last hour again.

Air 0.3c
    dew -0.6c

Settling on top of the stuff that thawed a bit during the night.
    A good 4 inches in the yard here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

where are you based? bit of snow in noth cork...nothing to grinds things to a halt as had been hoped!

South Kilkenny and go to school in Wexford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Feckin crappy paultry recession snow, can't even do *that* properly. All but gone in Dundrum and Dame St. Bloody joke of a country this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Snow in Waterford is gone. The dumping we hoped for last night didnt happen. I've run out of vegetable cuppa soup, and the government want 7% more of my wages as and from this morning.

I want to go home and go back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hakaman

Dunlavin, (South-West Wicklow - close to Kilcullen, for those who've never heard of the place) got absolutely dumped with snow last night. Still getting light snow right now. I'd say about 12 inches over the past 12 hours.

Will post photos in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

snow bucketting down in Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

on the meteireann radar seems to be a quiet a heavy load on the radar in the midlands..is there heavy snow in Tiperary area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

Rain fest in Skerries overnight. Things never really recovered once the main precip arrived and just got worse. I woke up at 5:45 and had a look out and no snow to be seen and then I checked the WS console to see a temp of 3C and a DP of 2C so no surprise really. Sadly yesterday is actually looking like the better day in all this!

missloulou wrote: »
    snow bucketting down in Wicklow
    Dry now in Arklow.
    Dewpoint has gone above zero as the wind off the sea has picked up.
    Should rain here soon but maybe stay as snow out in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am so PI**ED! My 'faith' didn't work! A light covering of snow on the rooftops and a little on the ground......:(

Hailing now in Dame St. Very very dark overhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

snowfest in Rathdrum again, snowed in at the moment. Cant get out of my house. ahh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There was a slight sprinkling of snow last night over Cork's southern suburbs (Douglas, Ballinlough, Mahon, Blackrock, Rochestown, Donneybrook etc) Enough to leave a bit of snow on sheltered areas and on the tops of cars and high ground.
    From what I gather, a serious 'snow day' in Cork is about as likely as aliens touching down in a UFO on the Grand Parade.

It's cold and somewhat overcast with what look like snow-laden clouds though, so I'm sure we're going to have a few more sprinklings, even if none of it stays on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

hakaman wrote: »
    Dunlavin, (South-West Wicklow - close to Kilcullen, for those who've never heard of the place) got absolutely dumped with snow last night. Still getting light snow right now. I'd say about 12 inches over the past 12 hours.

Will post photos in a while.

West Wicklow seems to have gotten everyone else's snow.

Totally snowed in here - roads absolutely impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

was raining here at half 7 this morning, but been lashing snow for the past hour

Solair wrote: »
    There was a slight sprinkling of snow last night over Cork's southern suburbs. Enough to leave a bit of snow on sheltered areas and on the tops of cars.
    From what I gather, a serious 'snow day' in Cork is about as likely as aliens touching down in a UFO on the Grand Parade.

It's cold and somewhat overcast with what look like snow-laden clouds though, so I'm sure we're going to have a few more sprinklings, even if none of it stays on the ground.

Like i was saying this morning - never has the traffice been so freeflowing - typical Cork.....

• Advertisement

yrrag1974 wrote: »

Now *that's* proper.
    You lucky, lucky B*stard

I'm SOOOO jealous right now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bucketing down snow here at the moment, roads are very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dark overhead with heavy hail sleet mix in Tallaght.

Bucketing snow down here at the moment, roads are very dangerous.

Oh my god wtf?! Why the hell cant it drift down to Cork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

+1 for wexford, any non main road is in a state.

Every fricken thing in this country grounds to a halt witha smalll bita snow, anyone ever been to germany, switzerland, austria etc where they get this amount of snow in an hour, and they roads are still clear and nothing is different!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light/moderate snow here now. 1.3c DP 0.7c The wind has swung to the east and brought lower DPs :)

1.2c DP 0.6c

Wife will go nuts - got a text last night to say school would not open today and then got a text this morning to say it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

leahyl wrote: »
    Like i was saying this morning - never has the traffice been so freeflowing - typical Cork.....

Cork City has a bit of a weirdly mild microclimate due to the topgraphy sheltering it from northerly winds and the huge harbour acting a bit like a giant hot water bottle. Once you get away from the harbour area, it becomes a lot more frost prone.

Rather more amusingly though, the airport (built on a hill :confused: to give the planes a head start) manages to be the only place in the entire city that's regularly fog bound!

Does anyone have any idea when the last time there was a major snow event in Cork City was ? There must be some record of one in the last century or so?

timmywex wrote: »
    +1 for wexford, any non main road is in a state.

Every fricken thing in this country grounds to a halt witha smalll bita snow, anyone ever been to germany, switzerland, austria etc where they get this amount of snow in an hour, and they roads are still clear and nothing is different!

people don't want the roads to be clear here so they can get a day off work!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

it was like driving on a slush puppy when dropping the kids to school. Its such a pity as at 12.30 last night there was loads of snow here in Templeogue. But alas the rain came .....

its just a slushy mess now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement