Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

timmywex wrote: »
    +1 for wexford, any non main road is in a state.

Every fricken thing in this country grounds to a halt witha smalll bita snow, anyone ever been to germany, switzerland, austria etc where they get this amount of snow in an hour, and they roads are still clear and nothing is different!

Timmy do you know if South Wexford got a good bit of snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No snow here yet in south donegal, jealous of everyone elses storys. I expected some last night at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Solair wrote: »
    Cork City has a bit of a weirdly mild microclimate due to the topgraphy sheltering it from northerly winds and the huge harbour acting a bit like a giant hot water bottle. Once you get away from the harbour area, it becomes a lot more frost prone.

Rather more amusingly though, the airport (built on a hill :confused: to give the planes a head start) manages to be the only place in the entire city that's regularly fog bound!

Does anyone have any idea when the last time there was a major snow event in Cork City was ? There must be some record of one in the last century or so?

Did we not experience the snow of 87 that everyone is going on about?! I dnt remember cos i was only 2 at the time! My dad was telling me that there was major snow in the year he was born - 1945 - my grandparents couldn't bring him to the church to be christened it was so bad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

timmywex wrote: »
    +1 for wexford, any non main road is in a state.

Every fricken thing in this country grounds to a halt witha smalll bita snow, anyone ever been to germany, switzerland, austria etc where they get this amount of snow in an hour, and they roads are still clear and nothing is different!

Well, they all fit snow tyres before snow season and all know how to drive in snow. Any area that doesn't regularly experience serious winter weather usually grinds to a complete standstill once there's anything approaching snow lying on the roads.

I've seen similar states of utter confusion and panic in Vancouver in Canada and various places along the west coast of the US when they get a dumping of snow that they're not used to. Yet, if you go barely 50km inland, everyone has their snow tires and is driving around like there's nothing unusual about it.

The Irish reaction to snow isn't really any different from the reaction you get in other non-snowy spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Badabing wrote: »
    Timmy do you know if South Wexford got a good bit of snow?

Id say so, im in wexford town and theres about 4inches after falling outside my door overnight! Enniscorthy/olygate will be covered,was yesterday, i can only guess the south of the county will be the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Really heavy snow here in Limerick for tha last half hour. Sky is full of it. Had about an inch last nite. Finally we got it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

whats all this talk about rain.its all snow where i am.must be that if your nearer the coast.

dedon wrote: »
    Really heavy snow here in Limerick for tha last half hour. Sky is full of it. Had about an inch last nite. Finally we got it!!

Oh my God this is getting beyond a joke now - practically all the counties surrounding Cork get it and we only get a sprinkling - well the City i mean:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wife will go nuts - got a text last night to say school would not open today and then got a text this morning to say it would!
    Just say you didn't get the second one :)

kenmc wrote: »
    Just say you didn't get the second one :)

LOL:D

• Advertisement

Met Eireann forecasting rain and we are getting snow. What a service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my God this is getting beyond a joke now - practically all the counties surrounding Cork get it and we only get a sprinkling - well the City i mean:(

There's plenty of cloud in the skies over Cork City right now. Although, it doesn't seem cold enough to come down as snow.

dedon wrote: »
    Met Eireann forecasting rain and we are getting snow. What a service

Is it staying on the ground though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This was offically the perfect letdown ,Not confident of gettin any snow now ,met eireann it said we would get a good dumping of it in ulster, and that nearly everyone would see snow. met eireann r useless.
    Now if we do get any its not gona be much.
    No warning for northern ireland on met uk anymore either :(

Solair wrote: »
    There's plenty of cloud in the skies over Cork City right now. Although, it doesn't seem cold enough to come down as snow.

:(sob!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

It's bucketing down snow here in Citywest at the moment.

leahyl wrote: »
    Is it staying on the ground though?

Not really! A bit did from last night. If it snows for long enough it will :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hakaman

Pictures from Dunlavin as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Snowing in Dublin Port now, ground is far too wet for it to stick though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Hail shower a short while ago here near city centre - left covering on cars and started to cover ground. Now light snow. Where is the cold sector at the moment? Is it heading back in over us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

big heavy flakes in Newcastle Dublin:)

hakaman wrote: »

Oh my god that is UNREAL! You are so freakin lucky!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Well for the first time in two days actual proper 100% snow is falling at the Dublin coast. But nothing is sticking. Damn you weather gods!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Snowing in dame st now too, but the damage is done, everything is wet, nothing will stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Similar scenes in Blessington, very impressive accumulations. If only things had been a degree or 2 colder generally we would have had a near '82 type event, really sorry most have missed out. All eyes to the coming artic blast at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

pelting down in D15, sticking again also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

starting to melt in naas (boooo)
    but im going snowboarding on saturday (yaaaaaay) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Great Photos. Just like Ballon and embarrassingly its still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

has been pelting down in west waterford all morning was 1 inch about 1 hour ago now its nearly 3 inches:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Half Rain - Half Snow in Limerick.

Not sticking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement