Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Mothman wrote: »
    Here's a snow forecast site I've just come across.
    No idea of the source of the data behind predictions, but interesting viewing none the less.

Mm steady on there , you could'nt possibly be in
    ramping mode......could you .....?.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From the Telegraph link above
    The UK will be colder than parts of Antarctica and Alaska as the cold snap takes hold.

Like to exaggerate much ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Did Weathercheck get his Sleigh/tobaggan yet? And if so where!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Mm steady on there , you could'nt possibly be in
    ramping mode......could you .....?.......:rolleyes:
    :D
    One has to believe. My 6yo daughter has never made a snowman. She managed a hailman last April and we had the hour long snowfall in October and that's about it.

Something will happen this time and feel I may record lying snow at 9am obs for first time in nearly 10 years of records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

One has to believe. My 6yo daughter has never made a snowman. She managed a hailman last April and we had the hour long snowfall in October and that's about it.

Something will happen this time and feel I may record lying snow at 9am obs for first time in nearly 10 years of records.

Any chance of my 5.5 yo building a snowman in Limerick next week, just 20 meters above sea level :(

• Advertisement

Any chance of my 5.5 yo building a snowman in Limerick next week, just 20 meters above sea level :(
    While I think much of the eastern half of country will see some lying snow during Monday/Tues I wouldn't call it for Limerick at this stage. Certainly a chance. There will be a sweet low pressure to our south or over the south depending which model is read and a cold pool circulating with it. I can't call where precipitation and this cold pool coincide. Others are more knowledgeable and/or braver ;)
    Then there is later in the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

lol I want to see the rte weather forecast next week with john eagelton wearing ear muffs and holding a hot cup of hot choclate saying evelyn couldnt make it in to work cuz of the snow ,good job john lives permantley in the rte studio metreology department, such is his dedication lol :D

This thread has got over 1000 views in the past 2 hours :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Mothman - How high is ashford above sea level ???? What about Bray ???? snow for me yeah ?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Pangea wrote: »
    This thread has got over 1000 views in the past 2 hours :eek:

Thats cos us kids have been OTT TTTTT....TTTTT excited since this started yesterday:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

This is my favourite thread and weather is my fave forum! I love all the round the country reports.
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEase be right about the snow!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Mm , i am seriously shocked at that statistic , 10yrs(give or take) years with no snow in your location is amazing (to me) .

hope ye make up 4 lost time in the next week......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

tony1212 wrote: »
    hey guys what are the chances of sum snow in limerick

if the charts for thursday are realised i'd say you could be in with a good chance as it will likely mean a succession of troughs, moving south eastwards across the country from the north east, that will surely bring widespread snow. up until then it will likely be just the east and midlands that sees snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

when posters, who usually are a paragon of restraint, start reconnecting with their inner child you know something significant is about to happen:)

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Mm , i am seriously shocked at that statistic , 10yrs(give or take) years with no snow in your location is amazing (to me) .

hope ye make up 4 lost time in the next week......;)
    Oh there has been times when I've had 2-3cm lying, but always gone by 9am readings.

And to answer another Q, I'm at 13m with little between me and sea. I'm nervous of the fairly warm sodden ground at moment, being 7C, but hoping that Sunday will start sucking heat out of it. The Irish Sea is 9C at moment and this generally keep air temp above zero near the coast even at night outside of showers. Showers will bring the cold air above down to ground level. So while I may see lying snow while it is snowing I fear it to be short lived where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just a note on 00z models ... there is still some scatter, but taking a blend the prospects look quite good for Ireland, the main point being that snow could develop rapidly across much of eastern to southern Ireland on Sunday night and persist much of Monday, in strong northeast winds. There is some indication on one model (GFS) of a milder sector rotating around a low to bring rain at times Monday night, but this may prove to be too weak a feature to reach Ireland, and the snow may instead just taper to wet snow or a freezing foggy drizzle for a time. There seems to be potential for an all-out snowstorm to develop in this rapidly changing situation as the cold air blasts in, this is not a case of cold air filtering in but charging right through from Russia in 48 hours' time, and temperatures could fall as low as -1 or -2 C with winds becoming ENE 35-55 mph. The elements of a blizzard may be met at times if this combines with snow for several hours. All may change again in the few hours left before show time, but something quite big seems to be brewing. There are also fairly good indications of a reload from the north to northeast later in the week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks MT - your posts always inspire confidence! :)

I my own mind I am under ramping. The best I am hoping for at the moment is possibly some snow showers Monday followed by cold rain/sleet. Anything better will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sky seem to have down graded the amount of snow for the east coast on sunday night and monday day to light flurries :(

Met Éireann say the snow will be mainly on high ground and the BBC graphic on news24 this morning shows rain over the East on Monday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Lads let it go. It's NEVER going to snow here ever ever ever again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Highsider wrote: »
    Lads let it go. It's NEVER going to snow here ever ever ever again :(

Lol!! I think you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater there!
    This is Ireland, its always marginal, some places will see snow...lets just wait and see, how it can't snow with 850's around -10°C is beyond me..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

So I hear the Americans talk about lake-effect on their weather forecasts all the time. I can't quite get my head around it. Can someone please explain it to me, and more importantly, can this phenomenon ever happen in Ireland?

Davo D wrote: »
    So I hear the Americans talk about lake-effect on their weather forecasts all the time. I can't quite get my head around it. Can someone please explain it to me, and more importantly, can this phenomenon ever happen in Ireland?
    It happens all the time in ireland,though it is usually lake effect showers.
    Cold air travelling over the warmish water of for example the irish sea, [relative to the cold air above] causes clouds to build and build and when they get high enough we have showers.
    This time we are hoping the cold air blowing over the Irish sea from the East will be so cold that it will be hail sleet and snow showers we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Éireann say the snow will be mainly on high ground and the BBC graphic on news24 this morning shows rain over the East on Monday morning...

where did rte/meteireann say that? on the radio this morning?

Its on their website 3 day outlook updated at 0514am this morning.

MT is using the right approach as he's using a blend of all models.
    Going solely on the GFS 06z we have -5 850 air over Ireland monday and that in my opinion would mean rain on the coasts and away from high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Its on their website 3 day outlook updated at 0514am this morning.

MT is using the right approach as he's using a blend of all models.
    Going solely on the GFS 06z we have -5 850 air over Ireland monday and that in my opinion would mean rain on the coasts and away from high ground.

Well BB i thought we had uppers of -10 for a time and about -7 for monday , surely this is low enough for snow at the coasts, after that the uppers rise and thats when I think it becomes more marginal tbh.:)

06z would make the upcoming cold snap a very short lived event of less than 12 hours.
    Few if any would see lying snow with lots of rain by the weekend.

Models are all over the place really.

@museist-yes we do and I think ME are being too cautious on the site.
    Their 755am radio forecast mentioned rain sleet and snow especially tuesday which they said they were watching.

-7c 850's are 50:50 for coasts and low ground in Ireland
    Perfect above 600ft though and well inland above about 400ft I think or lower ground near enough to higher ground well inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

I would like to inject a dose of optimism! Remember, with this chart (13 months ago) it snowed heavily North of Dublin (at sea level!) and the uppers weren't that great! (altough the low pressure was gd)

Rtavn00220080104.png

The uppers would have been closer to -10 than -5c at that time-probably locally about -8c

However as far as optimism goes,Noaa are practically binning the GFS 00z so they'll probably do the same with the 06z-they are leaning towards ecm now which is good for monday tuesday and the end of the week for us!

I hope I havent jinxed this.

• Advertisement

hmm ,would love a snow storm ,I dont think we are going to get much snow unfortuntley . Its def not looking as bad as it was in the media.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement