Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very light snow starting here again. DPs getting better as the day progresses. :) 1.3c DP -0.8c If only that band over the Irish Sea/Wales could swirl itself this way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

All my snow is melting.........meltinggggggggggggggggg :(:(

Boooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

More I look at the GFS 6z charts for Thursday the more excited I get..arctic air , low pressure.., NE winds..WC knows what i'm thinking could happen for sure :P

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Supercell wrote: »
    More I look at the GFS 6z charts for Thursday the more excited I get..arctic air , low pressure.., NE winds..WC knows what i'm thinking could happen for sure :P

What could happen supercell ? More snow I hope :)

any chance of sub zero daytime temps with snow?
    its snow thaw snow thaw snow thaw here since Sunday. :(
    If we dont get anythin proper Im just gonna have to take a spin up the mountains!

• Advertisement

Heres the precip from the ECM for 6pm thursday :)

090203_0000_66.png

And heres the 850's -better,a lot better than today! also showing the NE flow t-48

090203_0000_66.png

francosp wrote: »
    What could happen supercell ? More snow I hope :)

To quote BB..I hope I haven't jinxed it..but the possibility is there for an event would deliver sneachta to many places..sea level or not.

Those are nowcast events but even without that happening, I reckon more hail and snow showers are possible and given the cool source DP's won't be an issue either, could be very interesting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Heres the precip from the ECM for 6pm thursday :)

No need to take the 4x4 for a spin up Croghan to see the sneachta on Thursday BB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I don't think I fully understand the graphs but am I right in saying that this is gona stay until Friday?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bbc are forecasting a snowday for Dublin on Thursday

• Advertisement

To quote BB..I hope I haven't jinxed it..but the possibility is there for an event would deliver sneachta to many places..sea level or not.

Those are nowcast events but even without that happening, I reckon more hail and snow showers are possible and given the cool source DP's won't be an issue either, could be very interesting.

Oh Im all excited now !

:)

hey SC I didnt need to last night or this morning either but I did! :D
    Great snowboarding session up there..we like it deeper you see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gonzo wrote: »
    bbc are forecasting a snowday for Dublin on Thursday

:D:D:D

Thursday in bed....might as well take Friday off too and make a weekend of it. I'm getting way too excited amn't I? My dreams better not be shattered!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

And the economic talks collapse and huge pay cuts likely... strikes likey.

This winter is becoming very 80ish, wish i cud get some lying snow though!

Will pop up my weak attempts from yesterday soon.

Think we will have around 3 hours now with not much before some more possible precip.

GFS progs snow for tonight but turning to rain towards around 7am tomorrow as dewpoints rise, quite abit of precip expected though and Wicklaw will be snowed in with probably no thaw until the northerly arrives Thursday.

Then remaining cold with a northerly flow right through the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sky showed showers off the Irish sea all day and night!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Vincent O'Shea just mentioned snow for east and south tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Snow stopped in Celbridge about 35 mins ago, bright skies followed by sun and melting...

dark clouds overhead again ( crossing my fingers...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Vincent O'Shea just mentioned snow for east and south tonight.

Heavy at times also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

met eireann are forecasting heavy snow for the south and east tonight..hopefully cork will be on thats path...bit sleety wet snow here in north cork at the moment.

later should be good for snow if there is precipiation about

Do you think Kildare will get another bash at it?

• Advertisement

any chance of sub zero daytime temps with snow?
    its snow thaw snow thaw snow thaw here since Sunday. :(
    If we dont get anythin proper Im just gonna have to take a spin up the mountains!

Not really unless you are high up and have already got snow covered ground.
    Air isn't near cold enough for ice days at sea level, really need a deep easterly Siberian sourced wind with temperatures over Europe around -20°C and -10°C widely over England for that to happen at sea level here, can only recall ice days twice when I was growing up in Dalkey in '82 and '87'.

You don't need to go far though, since the sleet passed this morning the temperature here dropped below freezing and hasn't gone above zero since so the constant snow and hail is just topping it all up.

A local farmer here used a scraper thing this morning to clear the roads in the estate, but there another three or four inches of snow over that since, he has given up the ghost and not tried clearing the roads again!!

Very glad i stocked up on food yesterday as a trip to the shops in my little Skoda Fabia isn't happening!!

I'd say anywhere as high as say Eniskerry probably has decent snow at this stage that's not going to melt much over the next few days.

Just started snowing again! Whoppee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Edit, forget my last comment, tis snowing again here ;)

Temp 1.4c and DP 0c, tis a close shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

met eireann are forecasting heavy snow for the south and east tonight..hopefully cork will be on thats path...bit sleety wet snow here in north cork at the moment.

later should be good for snow if there is precipiation about

YAY! Although i got quite excited last night and was very disappointed when i woke this morning - no buses cancelled, or icy roads god dammit! ha! I hope i wnt be disappointed tomorrow morning!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

showing here too http://www.carlowweather.com/webcamimage.jpg

Can't believe how lucky I have been to catch these showers

It's really cold surface air advection [from a snow covered and cold Britain] and dp's at the right side of marginal combined with evaporative cooling in the heavy showers thats giving us our snow today.
    It's not the 850's.
    It is a highly unusual combination but one that works nonetheless.

Thursday looks like as SC said all of the above plus a polar source that gives us the essential negative dewpoints.

We've lost our polar source today [and tomorrow] so we are relying on our own cold pool and the surface air advection from Britain.
    Thats why over time in the next 24hrs the environmental modification will swing that the wrong side of marginal except on high ground untill the new polar source kicks in.
    At least during tomorrow it will be dry so the thaw wont be accentuated by rain :)

Aint seen a flake of snow in Dublin CC since 10am this morning. Heavy clouds over us but not dropping any white magic on us :(

Hop on the 67A and pop out to Celbridge, its like a winter wonderland here, non stop snow and fun!

It's really cold surface air advection [from a snow covered and cold Britain] and dp's at the right side of marginal combined with evaporative cooling in the heavy showers thats giving us our snow today.
    It's not the 850's.
    It is a highly unusual combination but one that works nonetheless.

Thursday looks like as SC said all of the above plus a polar source that gives us the essential negative dewpoints.

We've lost our polar source today [and tomorrow] so we are relying on our own cold pool and the surface air advection from Britain.
    Thats why over time in the next 24hrs the environmental modification will swing that the wrong side of marginal except on high ground untill the new polar source kicks in.
    At least during tomorrow it will be dry so the thaw wont be accentuated by rain :)

Good explanation there BB and bang on. That little low looks to keep rotating the snow into the east and south east for a while yet, snow/gruapel not really stopped all morning here, constant light graupel and snow with occasional heavier bursts. Remarkable stuff, hope it doesnt turn wet later!

• Advertisement

Hop on the 67A and pop out to Celbridge, its like a winter wonderland here, non stop snow and fun!

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

Im looking out my window in Dublin Castle and cant see any snow. Not fair !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement