Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3,000 jobs to be cut (worldwide) at SAP

Options
  • 29-01-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Front page of the advertiser.

Hate hearing this news. Worked up there during the summer and loved it (The place and the job). Everyone up there was so nice, bosses weren't a$$holes, tea/coffee/ciggie breaks whenever ya liked, free food etc... Wait, maybe that's why there's gonna be cut-backs :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Front page of the advertiser.

Hate hearing this news. Worked up there during the summer and loved it (The place and the job). Everyone up there was so nice, bosses weren't a$$holes, tea/coffee/ciggie breaks whenever ya liked, free food etc... Wait, maybe that's why there's gonna be cut-backs :eek:

Possibly, also possibly because most of SAP never heard about Lean or Six Sigma. From my dealings with them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, friends working there likes it. Hopefully they'll not have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    Yeah, friends working there likes it. Hopefully they'll not have to go.

Don't think I met anyone up there that didn't like it tbh. As office jobs go, it was a pretty sweet deal imho. Saved a fortune with the free lunches too. Only thing was lunch could have been longer (but that's down to a more strict floor manager really) as we'd only get a chance to eat, quick walk outside and then back. I'd love to have been able to just sit and chill outside for a few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My brother-in-law has been working there for the last 3-4 years. There is no word yet about the Galway facility. He works in the R&D side of things and I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if that was to go.

Really sad news, they are a great employer as JC pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sorry all but what and where is SAP?

• Advertisement

They are a business software developer based in Germany. The galway facility is out in Parkmore, its been there for a few years. Not sure how many they employ but Id hazard a guess its more than a couple hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

And yet they are currently aggressively (for the industry) advertising many available R&D jobs in Dublin... I'd say in that vein Galway will be ok.

Six Sigma is the biggest load of bullsh*t I've ever come across, talk about consultant 'gurus' inventing sh*te to justify their paycheques. I wouldn't mind if it was just a process that didn't help, but the fact that it actually hinders bugs the living f*ck out of me. I wish the Harvard Business School MBA types would just find a big conference room and proactively build synergy together while giving each other mutual backslaps and handjobs till the cows come home, leaving the rest of us to actually get on with our jobs. They don't let you take a sh*t without filling out twelve forms and having seventeen meetings about it.

If I ever saw Six Sigma in a job description I'd run a focking mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Krieg wrote: »
    They are a business software developer based in Germany. The galway facility is out in Parkmore, its been there for a few years. Not sure how many they employ but Id hazard a guess its more than a couple hundred

about 300 here in Galway. About 50 000 worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Krieg wrote: »
    They are a business software developer based in Germany.
    Sturm Abteilung Programmerung ;)

biko wrote: »
    Sturm Abteilung Programmerung ;)

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

my friend works there and she loves it, shes currently on maternity leave...hope theres still a company there when she gets back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

And yet they are currently aggressively (for the industry) advertising many available R&D jobs in Dublin... I'd say in that vein Galway will be ok.

Six Sigma is the biggest load of bullsh*t I've ever come across, talk about consultant 'gurus' inventing sh*te to justify their paycheques. I wouldn't mind if it was just a process that didn't help, but the fact that it actually hinders bugs the living f*ck out of me. I wish the Harvard Business School MBA types would just find a big conference room and proactively build synergy together while giving each other mutual backslaps and handjobs till the cows come home, leaving the rest of us to actually get on with our jobs. They don't let you take a sh*t without filling out twelve forms and having seventeen meetings about it.

If I ever saw Six Sigma in a job description I'd run a focking mile.

Um, most of the top world corporations use Six Sigma and other industrial engieering led processes to great effect. But hey! They are probably wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

But hey! They are probably wrong :)

Yep I agree... well said :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We're running both lean and 6 Sigma in our place at the moment. Where before we were doing this you could look at the problem and think you see the answer and you'd try and fix and realise it was something completely different and you just spent a mint on doing the original fix, now you can pretty much get right to the heart of straight away. It's just methodical problem solving with a dorky name. 30 Rock lampooned it a little last week.

I love Lean though, and I work with it on a daily basis with documents. Highlighting a massive chunk of a meandering quality document and hitting delete is most satisfying. We still have to work with SAP though, which is the least user friendly software I've ever encountered, we're actually considering shelling out for a 3rd party interface to slot on top of the bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

parkmore :)

Advertisement