Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Gliders

Options
  • 29-01-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

does anyone know of a pet shop in the Dublin area who sell Sugar Gliders, as I have a friend who is interested in them thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I did some research on them before and from what I found out they smell to high heaven and bark loudly all night. I have never seen any in petshops but have seen them advertised on Done Deal and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

the orchard in celbridge had them i think?but there animals never look great imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Please, what are Sugar Gliders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

from a search im guessing...

sugar-glider-0019.jpg

Thank you... They bark? Fascinating wee things indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Yup they bark, and fly.

Oh, go on!

Ah, I see the flaps on the photo...

Wonder what the cats would make of those:)
    Yup they bark, and fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

seeing how my cat loves chasing squirrels and these are cuter versions of squirrels.....

yeah these little guys are incredibly cute, just look at the picture!!! and they're meant to be incredibly affectionate. therein lies the issues, many many issues of owning sugar gliders. they can't be kept alone, so you have to buy two. you need a sort of aerial playground for them. they are incredibly clingy. their diet is very strict. they're nervous creatures. and there's a ton of other things i can't remember right now. there's a real fear that these little cuties will be made into lapdogs and they seem like soooo much trouble to look after. imagine never going on holiday again because who would you get to look after such a nervous wreck of a pet. stickin with cats myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yup they bark, and fly.

1) they do bark - its cute not like a dog!
    2) they do NOT fly - they GLIDE! Hence the name sugar gliders (the sugar part come from their diet which is very sugary)

Basically they jump from a tree & open the front legs wide & glide to other trees.

Sugar gliders are marsupials - they have a pouch just like kangaroos. They are nocturnal & bond very closely to their human trees. They are a serious comitment & can live to around 15 years of age. They are a long term animal & not just a fad!

They do have a musky smell but it does not stink to high heaven - it is no where near as strong as the smell from a ferret.

Wonderful wee pets - I miss my guys so much. The crabbing & barking is too cute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 funckychic

Wackers pet shop in long mile rd are selling sugar gilders at moment , . make sure u know what they need . special diets etc :cool:

Advertisement