Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are Waterford people Emigrating to?

• 29-01-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all

Just on the back of another thread there seems to be alot of people saying im emigrating but where will you be going?

England is hit too as is most countries around europe and the world.

I lived in Germany and moved back here 3 years ago but the problems they were having had begun back then, lots of foreign workers what with them boardering so many poorer countries flooded the market there were tradesmen bidding on websites for household electrical plumbing etc and the cheapest got the job and then there were alot of companies leaving for cheaper labour so they had this goin on for ages. and if you go there you have to learn the language even though most of them speak english but theres no work.

France is the same, well as my father in law says he told his son not to leave Ireland and try get another job as theres nothing in France.

So where will you Waterford people be going?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I'm afraid there is nowhere to go. This recession is global and all countries are feeling the hit, even Canada and Australia which hitherto were unaffected are now experiencing the global downturn. I have friends in Australia who are now saying that even the bar jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth. If you're a student fresh out of college or unskilled than there's simply nowhere to go. However if you are high end IT or R & D than you could move around.

UK is heading into a depression while the US hasnt even bottomed out yet. The escape valve of emigration that existed in the 1980s is long gone which is why i think that in the next 6-12 months, things will get very helter skelter in Ireland, i.e. civil unrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I'm off to Latvia. 28 hectares and 6 bedroom house for €30,000.
    I can't speak Latvian but i speak russian, which i studied over the years myself. I've spent a lot of time there in the last 3 years, and seeing as i am only in Waterford about 6 months a year at best i'm now moving permanently.
    But i'm lucky that my work allows me to live anywhere as i undertake contract work for periods of time and then take time off.
    Without stating the obvious i'm really just leaving one banana republic for another, the difference being that i have no interest in Latvian politics or the disaster their government is making, but looking at my own government f0cking the country up is another story so i'm off.
    I bank outside of europe so i don't need to worry too much about Latvias banks going pop. All i need is an ATM, satellite dish and internet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Partizan wrote: »
    I'm afraid there is nowhere to go. This recession is global and all countries are feeling the hit, even Canada and Australia which hitherto were unaffected are now experiencing the global downturn. I have friends in Australia who are now saying that even the bar jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth. If you're a student fresh out of college or unskilled than there's simply nowhere to go. However if you are high end IT or R & D than you could move around.

UK is heading into a depression while the US hasnt even bottomed out yet. The escape valve of emigration that existed in the 1980s is long gone which is why i think that in the next 6-12 months, things will get very helter skelter in Ireland, i.e. civil unrest.

I know it probably contradicts what i just said but if i were single and outta college id go back to Germany its a beautiful place and the country is run on a whole the way a country should be run they have all the little things and all the basic things done correct. mind you i have a fairly good grasp of the language and i was offfered a job in Frankfurt that i never took by eurolondon appointment, i just had to speak a little german and the rest was in English but theres lots of jobs like that over there,

In summer its very hot and in winter theres snow and theres always festivals on, it has alot going for it and i hope to go on hols over there this summer! cheap beer german wurst happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Partizan wrote: »

the revolution has started folks, better be prepared or you'll be left behind.

i'll be selling petrol bombs and red bandana's in an entrepenuerial move gauranteed to see me through all this. pm me for pricelists, group rates etc.

viva la deise

Advertisement