Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing WOW on another computer question.

• 29-01-2009 1:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

I've gotten a new desktop and was wondering about the install.

Rather than install 9 discs(5 for WOW, 3 for BC, 1 for LK) and then probably GBs of dowloading could I possibly transfer the program files onto my 16GB memory key and transfer it across that way?

Hang on, I just though of something, my laptop is Vista and I put XP on my desktop.

would it still possibly?

I know it's a long shot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I'm not sure about the initial install from the discs, bit you can definitely transfer the patches like that. And I don't think there will be any problem moving from vista to xp, but I've only ever done it the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Yes you can literally copy your World Of Warcraft folder to a removable drive, and paste it onto your new computer.

It will run perfectly fine from a folder.

Also, the WOTLK DVD contains all data up to 3.0

So if you decide to install from DVD, it's the only disc you need. The other 8 you mention are not needed :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

WellyJ wrote: »
    So if you decide to install from DVD, it's the only disc you need. The other 8 you mention are not needed :)

Really?
    might just do it that way.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Really?
    might just do it that way.

The only downside to that is having to patch to the live version, copying the folder from your laptop means you wont have to do that, assuming it's up to date.

WellyJ wrote: »
    The only downside to that is having to patch to the live version, copying the folder from your laptop means you wont have to do that, assuming it's up to date.

Yeah i'll get the patch mirror from wowwiki rather than use blizzard's lamentable downloader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Copy from PC 1 and Paste to PC 2 over the network and tada your installed and ready to play

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

can anyone confirm this? im getting a new pc and planning a fresh install of wow... if i just use the wrath disc then i just patch from 3.0 to current and i'm done? just one dvd and thats it? :|

Seems to be working for me.Installed off the WOTLK disc and the patch is about 650MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

With copy + pasting from one machine to another, it's a good idea to clear the cache and WTF first. I've had problems before from not doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yup works for me no problems, wow is a portable app meaning there is no registery value needed from a fresh install needed.

• Advertisement

splinter wrote: »
    can anyone confirm this? im getting a new pc and planning a fresh install of wow... if i just use the wrath disc then i just patch from 3.0 to current and i'm done? just one dvd and thats it? :|

Yeh I wasn't lying :)

I don't make crazy wild statements on the internet with no backing :D

Ok, installed the entire game from the WOTLK DVD as someone mentioned above, then downloaded the main(600MB) patch from rapidshare to get to version 3.02.

Currently downloading the last two small patches from blizzard downloader and it seems to have improved - getting fast enough connection speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

jayteecork wrote: »
    Ok, installed the entire game from the WOTLK DVD as someone mentioned above, then downloaded the main(600MB) patch from rapidshare to get to version 3.02.

Currently downloading the last two small patches from blizzard downloader and it seems to have improved - getting fast enough connection speeds.

It's useful to note that the patch files are .EXEs and can be copied / ran after installing the game, I suggest running them before launching the game otherwise I think the blizz downloader will overwrite them on you :(

This will save yer bandwidth and time too :D

Advertisement