Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So the Trans-Mongolian Railway??

• 29-01-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Was wondering has anyone had any experience of travelling on the Trans-Mongolian railway? Thinking of going China to Russia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Been trying to do some research on this lately been havent really tried to hard

usefull site here:

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm
    Moscow - Beijing via Mongolia: This is arguably the most interesting Trans-Siberian route to take. The weekly Trans-Mongolian train (train 4 eastbound, train 3 westbound) leaves Moscow for Beijing every Tuesday night. The 7,621 km (4,735 mile) journey takes 6 days. This train crosses Siberia, cuts across Mongolia and the Gobi desert, then enters China. This train uses Chinese rolling stock and has deluxe 2-berth compartments (with shared shower), 1st class 4-berth compartments & 2nd class 4-berth compartments. Fares start at around $650 or £410 one-way in 2nd class 4-berth or $910 or £570 in 1st class 2-berth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

neacy69 wrote: »
    Been trying to do some research on this lately been havent really tried to hard

usefull site here:

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm

That's very useful thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I did it 3 years ago. It was quite the experience. Went Moscow to Beijing, through Mongolia. Did the journey non-stop. 7 nights without a break. I kinda regret not getting off in Ulaan Battar for a few days.
    I booked it through Sundowners. Russia is a little bit complicated in that you have to book a govt. recognised hotel before they will issue the visa and you can't buy the train ticket online or more than a week in advance. The travel agent bought it for us and met us in Moscow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Little JP how much did you end up paying for that ? There seems some huge price differences depending on where/how you get your ticket. I did it in 2003 and just bought tickets from the stations to the next stop. The whole trip Moscow-Beiging cost me $260 but there were other in my carriage who bought from a travel agent in London and paid nearly £800 for the same trip:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I can't remember exactly but it was around €600 - €650. That included 2 nights in Moscow as well as the supporting documents to get a visa. Might not have been necessary but when I researched it Russia seemed like a tricky enough place to get a Visa for so I thought feck it and just went with the travel agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah very true, they dont make it easy to get in alright. I had to use an American company to issue me an invite online for $30. The irony of an American company inviting me to go to Russia wasn't lost on me:D

Advertisement