Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOMATO SAUCE?

• 29-01-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any one has a good recipe for a tomato sauce, I'm looking to use it with pasta (not exclusively). I'm thinking I might make a jar of it to have to save me time, all suggestions welcome! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I was just wondering if any one has a good recipe for a tomato sauce, I'm looking to use it with pasta (not exclusively). I'm thinking I might make a jar of it to have to save me time, all suggestions welcome! :D

I usually saute a couple of onions and cloves of garlic in olive oil (plus chillis if you like it spicy).
    Then i add two tins of chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. I turn the heat up to full till it all starts to bubble and the sauce is hot.
    Then i take it off the heat, chop up loads of fresh Basil and stir it in.

That's it really. Though i usually blend mine to get rid of all the lumpy tomato bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I add a pinch of sugar and some tomato puree in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Much the same, but none of this "bring to the boil and take it off the heat" stuff. You'll get a much fuller flavour if you take your time sweating and simmering everything gently for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭zoology lady

yum :p sounds yumming, I can't wait to try, thanks!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I start with frying some shallots & garlic (a chilli too if you like it hot) in a good splash of olive oil with salt & freshly ground pepper. Add some white wine, then tomato concassé (ripe tomatos skinned, de-seeded and chopped), into this a desert spoon of tomato purée, a couple of bay leaves and maybe a spoon of sugar depending on taste. Season again to taste, bring it up to boiling point then simmer. Add freshly torn basil at the end.

You could also start with some bacon lardons before the garlic, chilli and shallot if desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

If you are doing a simple tomato sauce the one thing you cannot skimp on is the tomato brand. I've tried several and have my own opinions on the good the bad and the ugly but my favourite is Napolina.

I know that is so sad that I felt the need to share that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

taztastic wrote: »
    If you are doing a simple tomato sauce the one thing you cannot skimp on is the tomato brand. I've tried several and have my own opinions on the good the bad and the ugly but my favourite is Napolina.

Me too - if I use any other brand I have to add tomato puree to compensate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

taztastic wrote: »

no, sorry if you are making a simple tomato sauce, you MUST use fresh tomatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

I usually saute a couple of onions and cloves of garlic in olive oil (plus chillis if you like it spicy).
    Then i add two tins of chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. I turn the heat up to full till it all starts to bubble and the sauce is hot.

That's it really. Though i usually blend mine to get rid of all the lumpy tomato bits.
    dont forget the red peppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

For a twist you could put some mascarpone through the sauce at the end too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I do similiar but add a small bit of brown sugar some tomato puree and a small bit of ketchup and let it cook down for a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

add some cracked black pepper, oregano and rubbed rosemary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I have one that I use for a pizza sauce, but could easily be used with pasta, meatballs etc.

1 birdseye chilli (optional)
    2 cans tomatoes
    1 red onion
    1 garlic clove

oregano, salt and pepper to taste
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

As above, fry the garlic and chilli lightly in the pot with a little oil, then throw in the tomatoes. I'd usually add the oregano and some pepper and salt now ish, then you'll leave it for the better part of an hour simmering.

Meanwhile, chop the red onion up, and in a second pot caramelise it over a low heat with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That'll take up to about 45 minutes if you do it nice and slow.

Once both the onions and tomatoes are all done, add in together, allow to cool if you're gonna store it (keeps very well) or don't if you're not. A light blend will make it a pizza sauce, or if you just don't like big bits of onion.

The caramelised onion really adds a nice sweet flavour to it - Chillis a new edition, and I quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Mrs bonkey's basic tomato sauce recipe.

Can be adapted to pretty-much anything, and stands up to an awful lot of tinkering around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Here 's mine, it's a bit "fancier" coz there s alchohol in there haha... (and despite the lack of fresh tomatoo ;))

Fry up bit of onion
    Add white wine
    Tomato puree
    Pepper & Salt
    Add a bit of water - not too muc though you want it a 'creamyish' sauce
    Basil (Fresh or dried)
    One of those stock cubes (depening on what you eat with it, fish or vegetable stock cube)
    Sugar
    And about 2 minutes before you serve whack in a good amount of cream and stirr it up!

Works great with pasta and seafood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I do pretty much what's been posted already. Changes every time, but I always chop some fresh ripe tomatoes in as well, lots of pepper, and add basil at the start. Simmer for a good hour or so, which I find intensifies the flavour, and then at the end, stir in some more fresh basil. Blend it up if you don't like it lumpy. But I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

you cant beat a jar of passata for using as a base for totato soup, pasta sauce, spag bol etc .. its healthy and has zero crap .. basically just pureed + sieved tomatoes and some sea salt ....

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

To disagree with a previous poster, unless tomatoes are in season definitely used tinned. As well as fresh basil, a tsp of dried oregano is lovely. A very small dash of red wine vinegar can add a lot also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've used mine for everything from dips, pasta, pizza and meatballs.

It's a bit sweeter than your average tomato sauce.

At least 2 punnets of Cherry tomatos,
    Sundried tomato paste
    Small amount of chopped onions
    Small amount of chopped garlic
    Tea spoon of sugar
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Olive oil
    Basil
    Cracked black pepper
    Sea salt

Olive oil in the saucepan along with vinegar, cut the cherry tomato's into 1/4's and throw'em in, sundried tomato paste, and all the rest in on top, and leave it boil down to a sauce. I find too much garlic or onions can taste too strong, it's tomato sauce, so I wanna taste the tomato!!!

Coming near the end, I might fry up some diced bacon and throw it in. Pepper and chilli can do bad things to me, so I try to avoid.

I think tinned tomato is rotten, regardless of what it's in, but whatever floats your boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

If you are pressed for time, or have other things you'd prefer to be doing, you really can't go far wrong with this recipe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement