Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short history of tractors in the ukraine

Options
  • 29-01-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

reading this at the moment , just want to get views of other people on it .
    For me i find the characters kind of annoying , i like the bit history through the book, funny in spots but i find the irritating characters in the novel are dominating my overall view ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Hey, I read that about a year or so ago and when I said I read it I actually mean I tried, much to my personal embarassement as I hate not finishing a book but this is one of the few I have turned away from. The characters were terribly annoying and I found the story to go at a terribly slow pace, I wasn't expecting it to be wickidly thrilling by any means but a good read none the less. It wasn't. sorry for the rant but I just really disliked the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

glad to hear somone agrees with it , it is quite slow i have to agree , i al thinking will ya just get on with it , look forward to finishing it and moving on to something else

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I enjoyed it. The characters were quite annoying and one-sided at the start but they became more rounded as the book went, eventually I began to empathise with all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It took some work, but I think it was worth it. Is it not called A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian?

I really liked the snippets of fact mixed with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I didn't identify with anything in this book, so found it hard going. I found Two Caravans a bit easier to get through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Is it not called A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian?.

yours right , sorry my mistake !
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    I really liked the snippets of fact mixed with the story.
    I also liked that too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I just finished this book. Instead of starting a new thread I'll just put my review in here.

A short history of tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Enjoyed this. An easy, funny & quick 300 page read. The main character, an auld fellow, falls in love with a Ukrainian divorcee less than half his age. The book goes on to outline the conflict between the family and new found glamour/gold-digging wife.

"She exploded into our lives like a pinky fluffy hand-grenade". Lol :pac:

The bit about tractors is an interesting factual history of agriculture and the rise of the tractor interwoven with the fictional family feud.

7/10. I docked a few points as sometimes the story seemed to go around in circles e.g. everyone getting on far too well over meals directly after bitter court battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 nolo77

I tried to read this when it came out first but found it mind-numbingly boring. Gave up after about 60 pages. I have the audio book on my ipod now so I'll give that a go one of these days!

Advertisement