Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sure and under your scheme, Atheists would be welcome to ride on the bus, as long as they sit at the back :pac:
    Pchaah. We have our own buses now.

To be honest, the atheism forum would be very, very boring without the Christians. And, the Christianity forum would be very, very boring with the atheists. We're two sides of the one coin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

personally I think the Christians here are a greater influence on making people turn Atheist than any of us ever could. The reason you don't see any "Atheist only" threads is because we have nothing to fear from them. It is nothing to do with them being more cordial than Atheists, in fact most of them tend to be either arrogant, patronising, condescending or plain oblivious to the flaws in their arguments. No amount of reasoning will convince them otherwise.

As this is an open forum, I think the spectacle of a theist trying to defend their position will draw in individuals who might of been on the fence about their spirituality. So I say, the more the merrier.

Sheesh.

I would hope not to be arrogant, patronising or condescending...must work on it harder.

My reason for coming in here is I find that there are some brilliant analytical minds in here. Just because I don't agree with them on one thing doesn't mean I can't enjoy a conversation with them. I suppose I have quite an interest in science aswell (you can do both) so I like looking at scientific discussions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    yet another Christian -v- Atheist circus where no Christian would state their views because they would to busy trying to respond to jibes [...]
    ...or "questions" or "replies" as we refer to them ourselves :)

Still, I'm happy to see that you made it to the end of a post without once telling the world that atheists are trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    ...or "questions" or "replies" as we refer to them ourselves :)

Still, I'm happy to see that you made it to the end of a post without once telling the world that atheists are trolls.

Some atheists are trolls, as are some Christians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Some atheists are trolls, as are some Christians.
    And some atheists have beards too and no doubt some christians enjoy Tabasco.

A quick poke through the 46 posts of yours that contain the word "troll" shows that you rarely, if ever, refer to a self-describing christian as a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

I thought i'd have a quick goose over in christianity, see what all the fuss is about and holy free holies 14000 odd posts, gotta be some sort of record. Can someone give me the low down, what happened. Did god do it?. Also I misread Fanny C's post and thought it said Africa needs Cock. I was thinking, thats the last thing they need. Then i got scared and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

I thought i'd have a quick goose over in christianity, see what all the fuss is about and holy free holies 14000 odd posts, gotta be some sort of record. Can someone give me the low down, what happened. Did god do it?. Also I misread Fanny C's post and thought it said Africa needs Cock. I was thinking, thats the last thing they need. Then i got scared and left.

Lol :D:D

I think it's (occasionally) interesting to see the input from Christians on Atheist topics. I have no problems with them posting here, except when they, and people of other religions, try to force their beliefs on us. It's just annoying then. I know I'm a new member here, I have been 'lurking' for a few months though. I only got around to registering yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    And some atheists have beards too and no doubt some christians enjoy Tabasco.

A quick poke through the 46 posts of yours that contain the word "troll" shows that you rarely, if ever, refer to a self-describing christian as a troll.

I'm a moderator in the Christianity forum. Most of the trolling in that forum is carried out by atheists, agnostics, or drunk posters (apart from notable exceptions such as Gareth37).

If I were to point out and challenge those Christians who troll in this forum (and there are a few of them) then I would be guilty of backseat modding. Dades is the mod of this forum and he doesn't need any advice or interference from an interloper like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

People who declare themselves as atheists have something to debate and have strong views.Why post in A & A if not to debate.

• Advertisement

The Christian only rule is very fair. I can see how it would be very annoying to Christians to have atheists declaring their entire thread pointless and indeed useless.

I think atheists should be allowed to post in Christian only threads if they have something positive to add to the conversation. As PDN has said, Wicknights thread about The Flood is a perfect example of this.

And to be honest, the Christianity forum is one of the most liberally modded forums on the whole site (that's not to say it's badly modded, it isn't). Atheists have often gotten away with saying very disrespectful things in it, to have no punishment. Just go into the soccer forum and say that you think soccer is crap and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

that's not to say it's badly modded, it isn't

You're darn tootin' it isn't!

*rests ban hammer of retribution on lap... until next time!*

You're darn tootin' it isn't!

*rests ban hammer of retribution on lap... until next time!*

Playing God again?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Jakkass wrote: »

Atheists are welcome to discuss these topics in a different thread, I really don't see what the issue is.
    Are they though? I got a telling off from a christianity forum mod a few months ago for opening thread about a couple of point in a christian only thread.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

personally I think the Christians here are a greater influence on making people turn Atheist than any of us ever could. The reason you don't see any "Atheist only" threads is because we have nothing to fear from them. It is nothing to do with them being more cordial than Atheists, in fact most of them tend to be either arrogant, patronising, condescending or plain oblivious to the flaws in their arguments. No amount of reasoning will convince them otherwise.

As this is an open forum, I think the spectacle of a theist trying to defend their position will draw in individuals who might of been on the fence about their spirituality. So I say, the more the merrier.

Anyone else see the irony? No offence GX, but I've observed many of your debates online. You aren't exactly devoid of all three things you accuse Christians of possessing.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Anyone else see the irony? No offence GX, but I've observed many of your debates online. You aren't exactly devoid of all three things you accuse Christians of possessing.

There are some threads that debate stuff on belief thats of interest to christians only.Where atheist posting is inevitably going to be off topic - like discussing the All Ireland Football or the Cork GAA Senior Team on the Soccer form.

Atheist forums can desend in a why cant you see it my way - the atheist dragon and teapot in-jokes then start to fly.

Atheist Forums need believers but not vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

CDfm wrote: »
    There are some threads that debate stuff on belief thats of interest to christians only.Where atheist posting is inevitably going to be off topic - like discussing the All Ireland Football or the Cork GAA Senior Team on the Soccer form.

Atheist forums can desend in a why cant you see it my way - the atheist dragon and teapot in-jokes then start to fly.

WTF?

Yet again we are treated with the great wisdom of CDfm.

On The Origin Of Trolls...

There are genuine trolls such as Gareth37 and no doubt a few non-Christians that have "gone away", but it's mostly smart-arsery that goes on here. And because it comes from both sides and we're all supposed to have thick skins and no fear of a debate, it's usually let go.
    You're half right. Otherwise we'd turn on each other. :eek:

WTF?

Yet again we are treated with the great wisdom of CDfm.

Yet again - but when you think of it there is some truth there.

I am not saying that atheists or agnostics are bad or immoral and that definitely wouldn't hold water on A & A as most posters are on the level. And agnostics live in the shadows hovering between being uncertain and not so sure.

By definition -if there were no believers there would be no debate.

You need Creationists more then you need ordinary Christians -some might say they validate you -but Im not that unkind.:)

Dades wrote: »

You're half right. Otherwise we'd turn on each other. :eek:

Hi Dades - did you have a nice Christmas. Is it true that A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is the Atheist version of a Stephen King book. CD:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dades wrote: »
    There are genuine trolls such as Gareth37 and no doubt a few non-Christians that have "gone away", but it's mostly smart-arsery that goes on here. And because it comes from both sides and we're all supposed to have thick skins and no fear of a debate, it's usually let go.

That's pretty much how I see it too. I do think that there are some posters who style their posts very much in a way to rile another. It's underhanded tactics IMO.:p

Hi Dades - did you have a nice Christmas. Is it true that A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is the Atheist version of a Stephen King book. CD:D
    Eh, good break thanks.
    Though the only version of A Christmas Carol in our house had muppets in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The CO threads on Christianity would seem to indicate otherwise :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

toiletduck wrote: »
    The CO threads on Christianity would seem to indicate otherwise :eek:

Touché:D I was thinking that myself. They really died a death. Tough subjects I suppose.

And technically we need each other to define ourselves.

How can you be atheist without there being religious people? You couldnt be, because you would never have heard of the concept of God. You would just be you....yes still not believing in anything but you wouldn't be called atheist.

And how can you be religious without something to compare it to.

We are different sides of the same coin. And if you think about it we both have one big thing in common....we are interested in the nature of our existence. Alot of people never even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

You couldnt be, because you would never have heard of the concept of God. You would just be you....yes still not believing in anything but you wouldn't be called atheist.

What a wonderful world that would be.

Ah Cerebralcortex, here's one for you, how does an atheist girl style her hair?

.....In big bangs.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

.....In big bangs.

I'll get my coat.

Awful. But I still laughed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

.....In big bangs.

I'll get my coat.

God that's awful...
    Isn't 'bangs' american for fringe?

Who would use such a word!? *shudder*

• Advertisement

kiffer wrote: »
    God that's awful...
    Isn't 'bangs' american for fringe?

Who would use such a word!? *shudder*

A Creationist hairdresser?