Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-phone question

• 29-01-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

This is a question from someone who isn't non-techie inclined, so appologies in advance.

I recently got an I-phone in O2 - 8GB one. It has a 1GB download limit, which applies to all tarrifs. Now here comes the remedial question. Is that much? I've looked online at my O2 bills and I see that I've used 7.5MG's in only 1 week. I haven't downloaded anything, as such, just looking at e-mails etc. It seems to be going quite quickly. I'm not clear on what actually constitutes 'down-loading' - I thought it was music/videos/podcasts, but does it actually mean the pictures on the screen etc?

Another silly question, when there is no Wifi for me to connect to and it connects via the phone, so to speak, does this use more data-download usage?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

hey,

I dont think that is very much tbh, i've had my iphone since it came out and have been using it more and more to connect to the web and i've never gone over the gig allowance,

all webpages have some kb or mb worth of data on them, so far as i know thats what o2 count as download. (i could be wrong tho).

Same as the 3g or edge connection that the phone uses when theres no wifi availible this is also included.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any attachments in the email like images will be counted toward your download. If it is data that wasn't on your phone before, its a download if you opened it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

I'll be honest you have only used about 1% of your monthly allowance. In general I have only seen a handful of people exceeding the limit and since we have a lot of iPhones in circulation that is a pretty good figure. Since the iPhone 3G was launched the monthly average for me on the internet is 400MB of data which is not even half of the allowance.
    A lot of people complain that 1GB is not enough but from what I have seen a lot of them are hard pressed to reach the limit. No offence to anyone out there that thinks otherwise.

blaze1 wrote: »

All web pages have some KB or MB worth of data on them, so far as I know that's what o2 count as download. (I could be wrong though).

Same as the 3g or edge connection that the phone uses when there's no WiFi available this is also included.

We count all data transferred as part of your allowance but anything used over WiFi is not counted as it does not use the O2 network so you can surf away on WiFi to your hearts content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is a question from someone who isn't non-techie inclined, so appologies in advance.

I recently got an I-phone in O2 - 8GB one. It has a 1GB download limit, which applies to all tarrifs. Now here comes the remedial question. Is that much? I've looked online at my O2 bills and I see that I've used 7.5MG's in only 1 week. I haven't downloaded anything, as such, just looking at e-mails etc. It seems to be going quite quickly. I'm not clear on what actually constitutes 'down-loading' - I thought it was music/videos/podcasts, but does it actually mean the pictures on the screen etc?

Another silly question, when there is no Wifi for me to connect to and it connects via the phone, so to speak, does this use more data-download usage?

Thanks

1Gb = 1,000Mb, 7.5Mb = 0.75%, so that's not a lot at all.

I am on Meteor and I have a measly 250Mb and I have never gone over it, despite streaming radio most mornings.

Basically anything that uses the network will eat into your allowance, things such as e-mail, YouTube, Internet pages, Google Maps, weather, stocks, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Aloysius Flyte

iPhone 350
    Carried over from previous month(s) 0.00*MB
    Units granted this month 10.24*MB
    Units available this month 10.24*MB
    Units used so far this month 8.45*MB
    Units remaining this month 1.79*MB

Thanks for all the responses.

OK - I'm confused. Just checked online, and this is a snapshot of the state of my account,see above. Is this right? Bear in mind that I thought I was meant to have a 1GB allowance.

This is an issue that we are having with billing at the moment but you can take it that you definitely have 1024 MB not 10.24MB look here for details

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Aloysius Flyte

This is an issue that we are having with billing at the moment but you can take it that you definitely have 1024 MB not 10.24MB look here for details

Thanks a million. That clears it up.:):)

Advertisement