Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One for C&C plz

• 29-01-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Wenceslas_Square_Prague_by_superflyninja.jpg
    any comments on the bw conversion or comp would be mucho appreciato!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lovely shot, did you use a bw filter for the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

lovely shot, did you use a bw filter for the sky?

Thanks :D A physical on camera filter? or you mean in photoshop?
    I used Calculations in photoshop for the conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

That is a very interesting sky. Can i ask how you managed to achieve it?
    There's also something mysterious about the photo itself. I really like it! Its a very interesting pic.

That is a very interesting sky. Can i ask how you managed to achieve it?
    There's also something mysterious about the photo itself. I really like it! Its a very interesting pic.
    Thanks!!!
    I just took the photo as normal really. I didnt do anything special for the sky. (I dont have the exif to hand soz). It was during the bw conversion that the sky really "came out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

There's something that my brain just can't handle there. It's a bright sky, with lots of clear patches, suggesting that there's strong sunlight, but there are no hard shadows on anything in the foreground. I'm guessing it was taken with the sun behind a cloud in that case, but then the sky seems too bright. There's just such a contrast between the dullness of the people and the brightness of the sky, it looks wrong somehow. I'm not sure if i can even put my finger on it.

• Advertisement

elven wrote: »
    There's something that my brain just can't handle there. It's a bright sky, with lots of clear patches, suggesting that there's strong sunlight, but there are no hard shadows on anything in the foreground. I'm guessing it was taken with the sun behind a cloud in that case, but then the sky seems too bright. There's just such a contrast between the dullness of the people and the brightness of the sky, it looks wrong somehow. I'm not sure if i can even put my finger on it.
    well the coulds were moving pretty quickly that day and the sun was in and out. But it might be something to do with the calculations filter to convert to bw. I used the red and green channels and mixed with hard light i think. I think the sky looks a little infra red if ya know what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

its a bit mad on the eyes, but I really like it.. well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I like it a lot - the clouds are a bit bright in comparison to the other highlights, I might try to tone them down somehow or brighten the foreground a bit as they're a bit distracting.

As far as composition goes I think it's very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

*Dallas wrote: »
    its a bit mad on the eyes

Tis surely. I'd like to see it a bit brighter overall to make the sky seem a little less like a nuclear bomb has just gone off. Or drop the highlights on the clouds a bit.

rymus wrote: »
    Tis surely. I'd like to see it a bit brighter overall to make the sky seem a little less like a nuclear bomb has just gone off. Or drop the highlights on the clouds a bit.
    i see.....when I get a chance I will reprocess!! cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't think i'ld like to change a thing in this photograph. Its perfect. Mysterious and perfect. With the mad bright sky and the contrasting dull foreground. Its a very surreal (and i don't like to throw around that word too often!) photograph.
    I wouldn't like to change it a bit to be made to look more normal.

I don't think i'ld like to change a thing in this photograph. Its perfect. Mysterious and perfect. With the mad bright sky and the contrasting dull foreground. Its a very surreal (and i don't like to throw around that word too often!) photograph.
    I wouldn't like to change it a bit to be made to look more normal.
    wudnt hurt to have two versions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I will go against the masses here and say I do not like the sky at all, it just seems so out of place/unreal in relation to the rest of the picture.
    I've been looking at a lot of Brian's pictures lately and would also like to see a light Topaz' conversion of the picture.
    I do like these pictures where there are lots going on and lots to see though.

I will go against the masses here and say I do not like the sky at all, it just seems so out of place/unreal in relation to the rest of the picture.
    I've been looking at a lot of Brian's pictures lately and would also like to see a light Topaz' conversion of the picture.
    I do like these pictures where there are lots going on and lots to see though.
    A light Topaz conversion?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tis a plugin that makes photos look...unique...http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/

Isn't that something you do when you're only buying a small amount of petrol in a hurry cos you normally fill up at the maxol station close to where you live?

Isn't that something you do when you're only buying a small amount of petrol in a hurry cos you normally fill up at the maxol station close to where you live?
    I see :D ithink you are a bit off the mark there though....

what? how dare you!?! I think I know an unleaded Topaz conversion when I see one!

what? how dare you!?! I think I know an unleaded Topaz conversion when I see one!

Welll I beg to differ sir. *backs out of room.....never having driven a car and being slightly clueless* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

no no no no no for the love of the wee baby jesus please no...

http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/adjustexamples/sur_girls1.jpg

Step away from those sliders please.

• Advertisement

http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/adjustexamples/sur_girls1.jpg

hahahahahahahahahaha i think its jsut perfect ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

aaaargh

the goggles
    they do nothing !!!

aaaand now I need to talk to a psychiatrist again... Thanks elven.

aaaand now I need to talk to a psychiatrist again... Thanks elven.

Can I do a photoshoot of the session?
    (and heavily pp in a Topaz tretment....)

Can I do a photoshoot of the session?
    (and heavily pp in a Topaz tretment....)

I keeeeeeel youuuuu!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

I like it. It has a slightly unearthly, unsettling feel to it.

I find the girl front-left staring straight at you (being touched on the leg by the auld fella) a bit distracting (although it does add an interesting side-story to the narrative) and might've cropped her out (although keeping him in somehow)...

I don't like the fact that everytime I look at it I go "Ooh, O'Connell St..oh wait, no it's not..."

I like it. It has a slightly unearthly, unsettling feel to it.

I find the girl front-left staring straight at you (being touched on the leg by the auld fella) a bit distracting (although it does add an interesting side-story to the narrative) and might've cropped her out (although keeping him in somehow)...

I don't like the fact that everytime I look at it I go "Ooh, O'Connell St..oh wait, no it's not..."
    I did think about cropping her but I wanted as many bodies/stories in as possible........

Advertisement