Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Targa netbook from Lidl v. Samsung NC10

• 29-01-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi. Am looking to get a netbook for my daughter to use at school & home (she has special needs, so is able to use a PC for most of her schoolwork). Needs to run Windows XP & MS Office 2007 - mostly for Word, Excel & Outlook. A netbook would suit better than a conventional laptop due to size, weight, etc.

I thought Samsung NC10 was the one to go for - currently €350 plus delivery from Dabs. But was shopping in Lidl this morning & saw this is coming in next week:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090205.p.TargaTraveller1016Netbook

Spec seems to be identical to NC10. Any thoughts/opinions as to which might be better would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭mct1

The NC10 is the current best buy according to several PC mag reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Looks good, it's got the six cell battery, built in bluetooth and is wireless N standard. Better than the recent Aldi akoya. It's comparable to the Samsung but the 3 year warranty from Lidl would swing it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

NC10 will hold value a lot better but does lack Wireless n speed mini network card.It doesnt give battery life for Lidl one, but 6 cell should be good.Would be unlikely to top NC10s 7 hours though.I would go for the NC10 but then again we do have two of 'em !
    I reckon this is like comparing a BMW 3 series and a top of the range Hyundai/Skoda saloon ...(but NC10 is cheaper!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Battery life for the Targa is up to 4.5 hours - so up to 7 hours for the NC10 would be a big plus, as overnight charge would see it good to go for a whole schoolday.

Not sure what difference the wireless N makes?

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

ytareh wrote: »
    NC10 will hold value a lot better but does lack Wireless n speed mini network card.It doesnt give battery life for Lidl one, but 6 cell should be good.Would be unlikely to top NC10s 7 hours though.I would go for the NC10 but then again we do have two of 'em !
    I reckon this is like comparing a BMW 3 series and a top of the range Hyundai/Skoda saloon ...(but NC10 is cheaper!)

I can't help but think that unless the Samsung is gold plated it's not going to be worth a lot by the time the Lidl warranty runs out in three years time!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Well in Ireland you are covered by 2 year warranty by EU laws and possibly up to 6 yrs if you take Irish law at face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

It seems to me that unless you can pick up an Acer ONE 8GB SSD for very near 200 euro (they were well under that in UK at Christmas) the Samsung NC10 is a total no brainer choice at under 400 (352 in Elara -youd be mad to pay Argos -449- or even PC World/Currys -429-money) .All the Advents are plain ugly by comparison while the EEEs even after facelift still look toyish by comparison with the true 'mini laptop' the NC10.Wireless n is only way EEE trumps NC10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

LisaO wrote: »
    Hi. Am looking to get a netbook for my daughter to use at school & home (she has special needs, so is able to use a PC for most of her schoolwork). Needs to run Windows XP & MS Office 2007 - mostly for Word, Excel & Outlook. A netbook would suit better than a conventional laptop due to size, weight, etc.

I thought Samsung NC10 was the one to go for - currently €350 plus delivery from Dabs. But was shopping in Lidl this morning & saw this is coming in next week:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090205.p.TargaTraveller1016Netbook

Spec seems to be identical to NC10. Any thoughts/opinions as to which might be better would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks

Did anyone buy the Targe and, if so, what do you think of it?

My problem with Netbooks/ Laptops from Lidl/ Aldi is that you cannot get the "feel" of them. Decent spec mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Didn't buy one myself - will hold on for NC10, I think.

Advertisement